MTA approves subway, bus and commuter train fare hikes, first since 2008

Shortline Bus

The MTA board approved subway, bus and commuter train fare hikes Thursday, the third increase for straphangers since 2008.

The vote came just months after the MTA slashed bus and subway service, and cut thousands of jobs.

The dissenting votes came from Norman Seabrook, head of the corrections officers union, and Pat Foye, the Nassau County representative.

"I'm not going to support a fare hike - not now, not ever - when it comes with cutting service, laying off people and then asking riders for more," Seabrook said.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/10/07/2010-10-07_mta_set_to_approve_subway_bus_and_commuter_train_fare_hikes.html#ixzz11hGDITDl

post-3473-133288582209_thumb.jpg

post-3473-133288582209_thumb.jpg

Well the fare should have been 2.50 to begin with when they did the first hike. I didn't understand the 2.25 but it was like another quarter i don't have to spend so I said nothing. Removing the 14 day metrocard and the 1 day pass is just stupid.

@LRG yes they are but who is gonna lead it? Nobody. We're all gonna suck this up and deal with it like we have been for the last 5 years (i cant go further back cuz i spent 1999-2005 out of the city). That's why they get away with murder. Nobody has the guts to lead this fight. Even if someone does, it's a good chance one of these high rollers would have that guy meet a clorophome cloth and disappear.

what a bunch of crap. Luckily I started a new job where I can drive my car to work in 15 minutes but unfortunately my wife will have to pay the higher fares..This is BS! How dare they keep raising fares while they still continue to cut service and options..

why am i not suprised that this would happen its ny albanys fault for bad budgeting and cutting manny services and mta's dedicated funding so big F***ing thanks to bloomberg and all the mayors of the time was/is in office. and Congress as well.

This is disgusting on all levels. I just found out that they are eliminating the 1-day and 14-day Metrocards. That's ridiculous. This is one sorry ass agency.

Sure. You try running the most complex subway system (and one of the oldest) in the world. Would you be able to run a 100 year old system without money?

I didn't think so.

Sure. You try running the most complex subway system (and one of the oldest) in the world. Would you be able to run a 100 year old system without money?

I didn't think so.

That's not good enough. Since the majority of the money the (MTA) makes comes from us riders and more people are riding the subway than ever before, why is it that the (MTA) is ALWAYS having some big deficit every f**king year? They make their money before anyone goes through a turnstile and yet they still have this massive debt. You tell me how it's possible for them to continually stay broke all the god damn time with all of this because it's clear to me that my money isn't helping this agency come out of debt, not even a little bit.

Most cities with subway service charge by DISTANCE. Where else in the world can you pay $2.25 and travel up to 31 miles on one train? Would you rather have another distance based fare deal with anything that runs on rails (like the LIRR and Metro-North)?

Let's not forget how NJT believes in that for ALL SURFACE AND RAPID TRANSIT. I don't want to learn how transferring to another bus works there. Here, you dip your MetroCard into a box and you magically get a free ride if you get on another bus or get on the subway within two hours!

The executives are holding money back (or spending it on themselves... *cough*) while making everyone below their level suffer.

Well it's official, there is no possible way for me to do tours with no daily unlimited card. Screw you (MTA). Your best aspect is the part run by (NJT). :mad: :tdown: :mad: :tdown: :mad: :tdown: :mad: :tdown: :mad: :tdown: :mad:

- A

starting Dec. 30.

The 30-day unlimited-ride MetroCard will rise from $89 to a whopping $104, while the unlimited-ride seven-day MetroCard jumpes from $27 to $29.

The MTA will no longer sell One-Day Fun passes or 14-day MetroCards, and a single ride will jump from $2.25 to $2.50. Bonuses on pay-per-ride MetroCards will plummet from 15% to 7% - and will start after riders spend $10, up from $8

Archived