B44 +SelectBusService+

Iamthe1

But from what Acela said about the depot and lot, it doesn't seem like the depot is ready to handle artics. So I'm wondering if it's even worth it at this point with all the delays. Also would they need to do something drastic and have the B44 SBS based from Grand Av and take back part of the B47 line?

SBS is just a name! 34th Street didn't need it. 2nd Avenue didn't need it. Bx15 was the only service that needed it. I agree that artics should be used. LFS's are the way to go.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So I'm wondering if it's even worth it at this point with all the delays.

Again I think so. Remember, SBS cuts down on operating costs. And again, I think the 44 has more potential as far as passenger satisfaction and speed go since its physical route is more suitable for SBS than just about any route in the system (straighter, less traffic than Fordham Rd/Pelham Pkwy/1st/2nd Aves, no major highways except at the ends, longest average distance between bus stops of any SBS line, one-way streets). Even if it is taking forever, I say better late than never.

Also maybe the long wait will give people more time to become informed about the plan and there will be fewer surprises. I mean, there were a bunch of community meetings about this SBS plan, all the PowerPoint presentations did say the SBS would use Rogers while the locals would stay on New York, and this was even verbalized at at least one or two community meetings (specifically that with Bklyn CB 9, which covers Crown Heights and Lefferts Gardens) based on some transcripts I dug up using Google...

And yes, they probably could put it in Grand if worse came to worse, but I hope it would not come to that. I would rather have that than shorties on the 44 SBS, but still I think the line is better off remaining in FB. I doubt they will move the 44 (LCL or SBS) to Grand

Even with the community board meetings and open houses, I'd wager most of the line's riders are still totally unaware of the MTA's plans. They should mass-produce the newsletters they hand out at open houses and stack them up at major stops, and at the train stations the route passes by. Most people just can't be bothered to go to meetings or look this up online, it seems.

That most recent newsletter says Nostrand Av will be re-built. At least one definite good thing is coming out of this.

SBS is just a name! 34th Street didn't need it. 2nd Avenue didn't need it. Bx15 (Bx12?) was the only service that needed it. I agree that artics should be used. LFS's are the way to go.

2nd Av didn't need it? Perhaps, but service is so dissatisfactory up there, the MTA's building a whole subway. It sucks the MTA used SBS on the M15 as an excuse to cut service, I think it is better than the Limited, even if not by leaps and bounds. In general, SBS isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread that the MTA likes to make it out to be, and it is a poor poor man's subway, but there aren't too many other viable poor man's subways out there, or any actual subways, andwhen it speeds up service, I think it can be better than what came before it. 34th St might not have fully needed it either, but the faster ride is nice, and with minimal negative changes in my opinion (compared to loss of local service on the lower M15, B44 re-route, and axing of important stops on those two and the Bx12. The M34 did lose two stops, but I don't really think it's a regrettable loss.)

Admittedly, I might be hypocritical and biased in not fully wanting B44 SBS,since it will take some service away from a fairly busy street (one that I live near no less) but I'm thinking this is one point where the desire to save money overrides the intention to do good.

I would think people would get information from other people (friends) who attend the meetings and would get a clue that something is going on upon seeing open house posters on the buses, but this is not a perfect world.

Yes, mass-distribution would have helped

If the MTA does not want to advertise it too early, a good time would be when it the service is officially announced in the MTA's committee board materials. The S79 was announced in the May Board meeting this year, the M34 I believe September of last year before it started in November, and the M15 the July 2010 meeting before starting in October. This would give several months of spreading the newsletters, and doing whatever else to allow info to get around. Sure, some people will naturally be oblivious of it, and be blindsided, but it's better than nothing.

• 1 month later...

Behind schedule. At the moment, it's planned for this time next year. Before that, it was planned for January of next year. Before that, this past summer. And before that, the end of last year.

Apparently the latest delay is to make Flatbush artic-ready, but with all the delays it might as well be on hold.

Since the DOT is going rebuild part of Nostrand Av in conjunction with this project, they should fix the bumpy road around Avenue D. Rogers has some bumpy roads in the vicinity too.

Also, if you haven't read this already, browse through it. It's a little outdated, but still interested. I still find the idea of 3-minute Rush Hour service with artics on Rogers Av ridiculous.

@mods: How about a little pinning action?

Behind schedule. At the moment, it's planned for this time next year. Before that, it was planned for January of next year. Before that, this past summer. And before that, the end of last year.

Apparently the latest delay is to make Flatbush artic-ready, but with all the delays it might as well be on hold.

Since the DOT is going rebuild part of Nostrand Av in conjunction with this project, they should fix the bumpy road around Avenue D. Rogers has some bumpy roads in the vicinity too.

Also, if you haven't read this already, browse through it. It's a little outdated, but still interested. I still find the idea of 3-minute Rush Hour service with artics on Rogers Av ridiculous.

Technically Flatbush is artic ready, but yes there are delays with the +B44SBS+.. However, only acela express would know alot better than everyone else since he's there full time at FB. I just only read thru paperwork and thru the forums. if it serves me correct, buses could POSSIBLY come as soon as late December/early January 2013.

I thought I read something about the delivery of artics destined for Flatbush getting pushed back several months due to depot fix-ups or something. I guess not.

Also, I'm wondering why the community boards affected by the re-route (3, 8, 9 and 17) don't seem to have been very vocal. Maybe a good portion of riders support or at the very least are neutral to the change, but I find that kind of hard to believe. If anything the community boarders on the southern end of the route seem to have been more vocal [which BrooklynBus could probably elaborate on.] When I was at a Community Board 8 meeting last year talking about SBS the people there seemed to be more unaware than anything else, which probably applies to a lot of writers.

That is true. The MTA/DOT did talk about creating 'loading zones' during the middle of the day for deliveries. As for the parking, they do want to add metered parking along certain segments of the route (including some stretches with free parking now), with their selling point being people park only for as long as they need to, and it "discourages residents from parking on commercial streets".

They did try try to survey how people got to shopping strips along the route (The Junction, Church Av, Fulton St, a few others) with pretty varied answers.

Still, I'm more interested in finding out the opinions of average B44 (and I guess B49) riders, specifically ones who'd be affected by the re-route. I haven't heard much feedback about that.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Word is the artics will be debuting on the 44 next month in regular service (local / LTD), which is why the notice was aimed for the current B44 operators only as a mandatory training date will be issued to each operator. I'll find out more as it comes to me.

didn't you get trained for it when they came over for the (A) shuttle?

As another poster in the moves thread has already posted, they've started putting the LFSAs on the 44 - it's official confirmation by me, and yes it was 5835 & 5838.

Did they lengthen the stands? Gonna be alot of pissed off car drivers up and down Nostrand!

I feel like I should be more excited that artics are finally here on the 44, but I just can't get around that whole NY Ave thing.

@Via: The frequency of the 44 shouldn't be changed. The next new schedule doesn't come out until April, which is when SBS is reportedly going to start. iirc if a route uses a mix of artics and 40'ers it keeps its regular headaways. Come April, I don't believe the 44 local will use artics but it probably will run less frequently.

As for the Limited/SBS, the earliest documents talked about putting artics on and actually adding rush-hour service, but that was way back when and I don't know if that will hold up.

I have been told today that the only reason the artics were out on the 44 today was because we were short on buses today. The union threw a fit with management because the deal that they had set up was that they wouldn't run on the 44 until April. The union ended up having those operators pull back in after they finished their trip. Looks like we might have to wait till April unless things change.

I have been told today that the only reason the artics were out on the 44 today was because we were short on buses today. The union threw a fit with management because the deal that they had set up was that they wouldn't run on the 44 until April. The union ended up having those operators pull back in after they finished their trip. Looks like we might have to wait till April unless things change.

LMAO... Well I guess we know who wears the pants around Flatbush Depot...  :lol: 

Archived