Jay St-Metrotech (A)(C)(F)(R) To Open December 10th

Sea Beach

Long-Awaited Subway Transfers To Open In Brooklyn, Queens

By: John Mancini

NY1 has learned the Metropolitan Transportation Authority will soon open two new transfer connections which are expected to make life easier for subway riders in Brooklyn and Queens. NY1's John Mancini filed the following report.

The subway is all about connections. But when maps come out, the magic can disappear.

"I come off the G and we're completely down the block. Every time it changes up. So it will be nice to know where to enter and exit," said one Queens straphanger.

In two new transfer spots, the answer will be to stay underground rather than hit the street to switch trains. NY1 has learned the Jay Street-Lawrence Street connector in downtown Brooklyn is to open ahead of schedule on December 10, while the Citicorp-funded Court House Square link in Long Island City is set to open a year late in February.

"People can see it. People can sense the project is nearing completion," said City Councilman Jimmy Van Bramer.

Riders will use a new escalator to transfer from the E, M and G to the elevated 7 train, and will no longer have to cross Jackson Avenue, where some improvise.

After years of dealing with the rain, the snow and the cold, riders say the new transfer can't open soon enough.

"I get soaked, I get poured, you know. Now that it's going to be underground, I guess it's going to be a lot better. I won't be getting wet no more," said one Queens straphanger.

While the grout's not yet dry in Brooklyn, signs of change are visible. The $160 million project includes rehab of Jay Street. The new passage, which is not quite ready, connects the A,C and F to the R. The stops are a short block apart, the legacy of a system created from three separate rail lines.

"Down the block is the 2 and the 3. They need to think about connecting all of them," said one Brooklyn subway rider.

In Long Island City, the hope is finding ways to handle more and more riders.

"It's really important for the MTA and for the City of New York to make sure that the stations that exist today meet the needs of the people who live here currently and that we continue to plan for the future," Van Bramer said.

New elevated platforms will be part of the Court House Square rehab. One transit rider who spoke with NY1 says even though he's bothered by the sway, his future won't always be underground -- mainly because of his favorite lunch spot.

Link: http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stories/130033/long-awaited-subway-transfers-to-open-in-brooklyn--queens

On another note, Lawrence St has been removed from the (R) Station and replaced with Jay St-Metrotech, so they actually did away with Lawrence..... Thoughts?

I was actually over there yesterday. All the escalators are in place on the (R) platform and you can actually see where they're located. It looks like they're done already. They already took down the overhead Platform signs that said Lawrence St-Metrotech. The only ones that say the original name is the ones on the pillars and at the station entrances. Some T/Os on the (A)/© are already calling it Jay St-Metrotech, and there was even one that explained the name change to the passengers

There is no need to connect the (2), and (3) to the Jay Street-Metrotech (A), (C), (F), and (R). It's just going to be a waste of millions of dollars, because it would just create another Pacific Street-Atlantic Avenue station in Downtown Brooklyn and DUMBO when they already have Pacific Street-Atlantic Avenue. So there isn't a need for this.

Being fair, the (MTA) deserves a rare applause and congrats for finishing an important project 'ahead of schedule' and on budget.:tup::cool:

Next is to bulid a connector in which riders can transfer between the (L) and

(3)(4) at Junuis/Lioviona Ave. Not to mention expanding a free metrocard transfer between the Lorimer St (J)(M) and Broadway-Union Ave (G) station as well.

There is no need to connect the (2), and (3) to the Jay Street-Metrotech (A), (C), (F), and (R). It's just going to be a waste of millions of dollars, because it would just create another Pacific Street-Atlantic Avenue station in Downtown Brooklyn and DUMBO when they already have Pacific Street-Atlantic Avenue. So there isn't a need for this.

A downtown Brooklyn connection between the (A)(C) and (2)(3)(4)(5) would be great.

I often transfer between Borough Hall/Jay Street or Hoyt and Hoyt-Schermerhorn when Fulton Street is closed to (A)(C) trains. It's no problem because I have an unlimited card, but I've had a pay per ride card before and had to pay double fare.

You probably don't remember the nearly 20 year re-construction of the Manhattan Bridge.

This is needed especially if and when the Manhattan Bridge is closed for 6th Ave service.

This provides re-routed 4th Ave and Brighton Lines trains and their riders access to the 8th Ave (A)(C) and 6th Ave (F) lines without having to go to Manhattan.

Not to mention access for Bay Ridge/Sunset Park (R) riders who want to go to East NY, Brooklyn, SW Queens and JFK Airport without having to travel to Manhattan as well.

This was a project well spent so I disagree.

Alright fine. Tell them to use part of the $3 billion to build a transfer point between the (2), and (3) to the (A), (C), (F), and (R). Though I wasn't talking about the new connection. I was talking about linking the (2) and (3) to Jay Street-Metrotech. Anyway I do remember the shut down of the Manhattan Bridge I lived during that time. Though if it helps people then do it. I have no objections. Connect it to Court Street with the (2), (3), (4), and (5) along with the (R) again and call it a day. They can name it the Jay Street Transportation Hub.

I was actually over there yesterday. All the escalators are in place on the (R) platform and you can actually see where they're located. It looks like they're done already. They already took down the overhead Platform signs that said Lawrence St-Metrotech. The only ones that say the original name is the ones on the pillars and at the station entrances. Some T/Os on the (A)/© are already calling it Jay St-Metrotech, and there was even one that explained the name change to the passengers

Not the train operator, but the conductor.

Being fair, the (MTA) deserves a rare applause and congrats for finishing an important project 'ahead of schedule' and on budget.:tup::cool:

Next is to bulid a connector in which riders can transfer between the (L) and

(3)(4) at Junuis/Lioviona Ave. Not to mention expanding a free metrocard transfer between the Lorimer St (J)(M) and Broadway-Union Ave (G) station as well.

the (3) and (L) at Junuis St and Livonia Av would probably happen before the (J),(M) and (G) connector. They can use the exit on the L platform to connect straight to the Junius St

img_83138.jpg

Riders will use a new escalator to transfer from the E, M and G to the elevated 7 train, and will no longer have to cross Jackson Avenue, where some improvise.

I was just in this area last night; around 10 something (pm).... got off the (7) to take the B62.... ended up taking the stinkin (G) train.. got too impatient; plus it was nippy (cold, with increasing winds) out there last night too...

anyway, I like what they did about the immediate area... got the new stairwell coming/going from the 7 train.... and on surface level, they already got the descending staircase on the SB side of jackson av all laid out & everything... it's not for use yet though...

side note: Long Island City (Queens/Queensboro plz) really needs an inset on the Queens bus map.

side note2: construction on the manhattan bridge will NEVER be finished.

img_83138.jpg

Only problem with this transfer is not that many people is making enough noise to get MTA to do it. Remember the MTA since unification in 1941 only built inter-division connection ON DEMAND. (ie: Atlantic Terminal Complex, 51st-Lexington/53rd Connection, Fulton Street, ect...) If enough demand was for it, they build it inna second, It would only take just a few month to build a simple flight of stairs to the bridge from the station house.

Just wondering: how many people would actually benefit from a Livonia/Junius transfer? Judging by the map alone, this transfer would be rather peripheral: neither the (L) and the (3) do have that many stations between their Brooklyn termini and this proposed transfer.

"Down the block is the 2 and the 3. They need to think about connecting all of them," said one Brooklyn subway rider.

Really?!, this aint no connect the dots, if u need IRT service, just grab the BMT (R) to Pacific and your good, or go to 42nd Street instead.. Or walk after the (R) if all you need is anywhere south of 59th street/7th.

But on a side note, great to see some progress. Ill be checking this out! Hopefully Livonia/Junius gets a connection!

It would be nice if the Pacific St complex was linked to the (C) and (G) at Lafayette/Fulton. I think that would be a better use of money than the Lawrence St transfer which they have built.

In that case there is a solution. It's called creating a 'free walking metrocard transfer' between Atlantic/Pacific and Lafayette. The distance is at least 4-5 blocks between those 2 points. Sorry Amtrak the (MTA) made the right decision in buliding this transfer to the now former Lawerence and Jay St station for reason stated.

FYI. Forgot to add that Queensboro Plaza (7)(N)(Q) and Queens Plaza (E)(M)(R) also needs a walking transfer as well. Much cheaper than buliding a passgeway.

With the new Jay Street-Borough Hall-Lawrence Street transfer, you can now do this: (F) to Jay Street-Borough Hall, (R) to 9th Street, and back to the (F)!

Sample, interesting railfan trip:

(F) Kings Highway to Fourth Avenue

(Transfer to (R))

(R) to Lawrence Street

(Transfer to (F))

(F) to 34th Street-Herald Square

(Transfer to (R))

(R) to Roosevelt Avenue

(Transfer to (F))

(F) to Union Turnpike

Archived