City Council Pushing To Unlock The Doors Between Subway Cars For Passengers' Safety

EE Broadway Local

At the City Council's last full meeting of 2010 today (Tuesday December 14th), New York City Councilwoman Ms. Letitia James (Brooklyn) introduced a resolution that would force the MTA to keep all subway doors unlocked, five years after that agency enacted the rule that bars passengers from moving through subway cars for their own safety.

MTA Spokesman Mr. Charles Seaton says the agency locks doors on the (A) (:P(D)(G) and (R) subway lines currently. These five subway lines feature seventy-five foot long subway cars and as trains go around curves along these routes, the ends of subway cars don't line up and that poses a bigger safety risk (to riders).

C/Rs can open all doors electronically on the seventy-five long car trains.

The bill's sponsers, which include New York City Councilwoman Ms. Margaret Chin (Lower Manhattan), fear that the pratice, intended for protection, may actually be putting riders at risk by preventing escape in emergencies.

The City Council group is especially concerned about female riders being trapped in locked cars with an individual(s) whom they perceive as threats.

In addition to having subway car doors unlocked, the legislation would allow riders to access subway tracks and subway tunnels through the front and rear door of the north and south car at all times.

New York City Councilwoman, Ms. Letitia James' Spokeswoman, Ms. Aja Worthy-Davis said that "several recent incidents" motivated the legislations' introduction.

Story and Text of the 2005 MTA rule from DNAinfo BETA: http://www.dnainfo.com/20101214/manhattan/council-pushing-unlock-doors-between-subway-cars

At the City Council's last full meeting of 2010 today (Tuesday December 14th), New York City Councilwoman Ms. Letitia James (Brooklyn) introduced a resolution that would force the MTA to keep all subway doors unlocked, five years after that agency enacted the rule that bars passengers from moving through subway cars for their own safety.

MTA Spokesman Mr. Charles Seaton says the agency locks doors on the (A) (:P(D)(G) and (R) subway lines currently. These five subway lines feature seventy-five foot long subway cars and as trains go around curves along these routes, the ends of subway cars don't line up and that poses a bigger safety risk (to riders).

The bill's sponsers, which include New York City Councilwoman Ms. Margaret Chin (Lower Manhattan), fear that the pratice, intended for protection, may actually be putting riders at risk by preventing escape in emergencies.

The City Council group is especially concerned about female riders being trapped in locked cars with an individual(s) whom they perceive as threats.

In addition to having subway car doors unlocked, the legislation would allow riders to access subway tracks and subway tunnels through the front and rear door of the north and south car at all times.

New York City Councilwoman, Ms. Letitia James' Spokeswoman, Ms. Aja Worthy-Davis said that "several recent incidents" motivated the legislations' introduction.

Story and Text of the 2005 MTA rule from DNAinfo BETA: http://www.dnainfo.com/20101214/manhattan/council-pushing-unlock-doors-between-subway-cars

Nuff said right there. You unlock those doors, someone trips and falls and becomes another statistic for sbway deaths then you'll never hear the end of it. Noo need to unlock them at all

If They Do that, expect More A-Holes to be smashed up in between 75 footers, there's a reason why they are locked, duh but no politics always start yapping their lips, its more safe for the doors to be locked than unlocked, only in the SIRT they are unlocked because there is no sharp curves.

I actually agree with this.Though it could be dangerous ,it could be more if i'ts not done.You can always walk to the conductor or T/O if someone is following you.And about access to subway tunnels i agree with that as well.My biggest fear is being stuck on a train for 2 hours.At least this will give people the option to walk to the nearest station instead of sitting like hell for 2 hours!

I actually agree with this.Though it could be dangerous ,it could be more if i'ts not done.You can always walk to the conductor or T/O if someone is following you.

It isnt anymore dangerous then being followed on the street. This is NY for crying out loud. The city where no one gives a shyt about anyone else:p

I actually agree with this.Though it could be dangerous ,it could be more if i'ts not done.You can always walk to the conductor or T/O if someone is following you.And about access to subway tunnels i agree with that as well.My biggest fear is being stuck on a train for 2 hours.At least this will give people the option to walk to the nearest station instead of sitting like hell for 2 hours!

The train crew can easily unlock the doors if anything. If you look at when a 75 footer goes through a curve, there's a huge gap between the cars that some people can't make

so wait, if the storm doors are unlocked, what about the R68/A's? Note that on every R68/A theres a transverse can on one and a single cab on the other. If they unlock all the doors, that means that people can go thru the cab. The R68/A doors can only be unlocked thru one end of the car, unless they are going to let people thru the cabs.

I forgot did the R143 have ther storm doors unlocked, I never looked.

I don't think its the switching cars, or the access to enter the cabs, its the fact that she wants the passengers to have access to be able to exit the train through the storm doors. I can imagine an idiot on a train going 40-50mph jumping off of it just cause he thinks its cool.

-All 50' and 60' cars have their end doors unlocked unless it is the first or last car in the train.

-On R142,143, and 160 cars, the end doors are unlocked but the cab doors are not. In the event of and emergency, the train crew would direct people to go either to the front or rear of the train where they would be able to evacuate off the train.

-On 75' cars (R44/46 and R68/A) the end doors (not cab doors) can be opened from the T/O or C/R position. The cab doors on the #1 end (transvers cab) can be kicked out in an emergency. The same is true for the storm doors on those cars as well.

-Remember, in the event of an emergency listen to the instructions of the train crew or police. Never try and get off the train by your self, you don't know if other trains have stopped or if 3rd rail power has been turned off. You are safer in the train then you are going out in the tunnel or on to the structure without being told to do so.

Even though not a feature on trains, end doors should be able to automatically unlock while in stations with the doors open to allow passengers to walk through, and lock again when side doors close and lock. Of course the loophole is people holding the doors so others can go through, but this idea is in the middle of both sides' arguments.

I'm actually 50/50 here.

Reason why i would prefer all doors to be unlocked is because I wouldn't wanna be on a train where there is some crazy person with a gun or something life threaten going on. The train could be going express and while the trains in motion something happens..

Hey maybe someone or people would be in the last car of a locked storm door train, and and someone or something causes a fire.. How will the crew know? Until it gets to the station or if the crew smelt smoke? That ill take some time.

Now if the OTT were to have some sort of Intercom system to communication between the passenger and the crew, like the NTT, then I'd be fine with it locked, but if not, then unlock it but make it illegal to cross when the train is in motion, except during emergency, such as a chase.

The negative would be some idiot falling between the cars and the (MTA) getting sued for there ass.. Or even worst, climb on top of the train.. Smoking/drinking or hanging between cars, which ive seen when i was young and still see it today.

I don't think its the switching cars, or the access to enter the cabs, its the fact that she wants the passengers to have access to be able to exit the train through the storm doors. I can imagine an idiot on a train going 40-50mph jumping off of it just cause he thinks its cool.

I dont think the (MTA) are gonna unlock the cabs. Even if the the news article says so. That would be way off, especially since some nut head might be doing something in the cab. Maybe just unlock the storm doors for regular crossing and have access to the C/R, just like the R32/42/62/142/143 and R160s.

Bad idea written all over. They're locked due to safety reasons, those being so people don't fall in between cars cuz of the sharp turns. It's allowed on the SIR because the line is relatively straight. The same can't be said for the subway.

Another reason why I cannot see the MTA ever ordering subway cars for the B division other than 60' long.

Is this women stupid. Earlier this year a woman walked betweeen a group of subway cars for no reason, and she felled off and died. The T/O didn't spot her, and several more trains ran over her before they found her dead. I felt sorry for her, but she shouldn't have had been doing that, and no one else should either.

In fact they should even put door restrictors on the doors to prevent people from walking between. Only T/O's and C/R's should be able to unlock them during an emergency.

Not really, SIR has curves but they are not nearly as sharp as those found in the subway so the end doors still line up.

True, compare it to LIRR for instance, the end doors are unlocked but it isn't recommended to walk between the cars while the train's moving.

Unlock the doors & indemnify the MTA from lawsuits about those who fall.

...it's clean-up time fellas!

I'd agree with that provided you also indemnify the MTA in the event a person comes banging on a cab door and the train crew member leaves it shut out of fear for their own safety and something happens.

You and I are dinosaurs though. Apparently we still believe in the outdated notion of people taking responsibility for their actions.

In today's lawsuit happy world, I'd see this leading to a bunch of lawsuits. I've SEEN the way those 75 foot car storm doors line up over even slight curves and it is VERY dangerous to do this.

I also don't like that it gives direct access to B cars' hand brakes in the cases of some of the equipment, that's an "area of mischief" the riding public should not have access to. While I'm aware other cars have it in exposed areas, I don't think that's something the public should be able to mess around with.

I also don't like that it gives direct access to B cars' hand brakes in the cases of some of the equipment, that's an "area of mischief" the riding public should not have access to. While I'm aware other cars have it in exposed areas, I don't think that's something the public should be able to mess around with.

The only other car type still on the road where the handbrake is in the open is the R32 fleet. Everything else either does not have a hank brake or it's in a locked cab. Though an exposed hand brake shouldn't cause too many problems since they have handbrake indicators in the cab which were not installed when several derailments were caused by people setting a handbrake.

The only other car type still on the road where the handbrake is in the open is the R32 fleet. Everything else either does not have a hank brake or it's in a locked cab. Though an exposed hand brake shouldn't cause too many problems since they have handbrake indicators in the cab which were not installed when several derailments were caused by people setting a handbrake.

I'm aware of that, I just don't think it's a part of the train people should have access to is all. Even with an indicator, a little bit of mischief can cause a big delay (since you know how long it takes to walk a train and check all the handbrake counterweights to find the one messed with). And once the train stops you can be pretty sure the punks won't stick around so all that and you won't even find the ones that did it.

Archived