R68A (Q) train?

Calvin

You are my new favorite poster. :tup:
I second that. :tup:
:cool::cool:

You know if the (MTA) just gives the seats a spray of good smelling soap they won't smell like hobo ass right.
His post is pure exaggeration and a bunch of bull. Whenever I get the chance, if time permits, I ride the old fleets and they don't smell like crap. At all. I'd seen worse on the R142As a few times, when I spotted homeless people sleeping inside.

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know I had rode the R32's before, and when the R38's where still running I rode them too. They never smelled like hobo ass. Also they ran just fine. I still remember the sound of the last R40 I rode on the (D), and (:( across the Manhattan Bridge, and it didn't sound like it was breaking down. It sounded like it could run for another 20 years even though it didn't look like it.

I'm not saying that hobos only ride the old trains; all trains get them, but what I'm trying to say is that they smell as if they've never been cleaned.

And I'm not sure if I made this clear or not, but I'm talking about every day commuting to and from work/school. Not just staring out the front window, taking pictures, and drooling.

I'm not saying that hobos only ride the old trains; all trains get them, but what I'm trying to say is that they smell as if they've never been cleaned.

And I'm not sure if I made this clear or not, but I'm talking about every day commuting to and from work/school. Not just staring out the front window, taking pictures, and drooling.

lol. Did you trip in shit and forgot to wipe your nose? You must have bad luck if you always happen to run into an 32 that smells.

You seem to be bashing the old trains "just because". Yes the (C) and (J) (both use the oldest trains in the system) have their share of hoboes but the plethora of other routes with new cars also have their share of skells who haven't taken a bath in months.

Make up your mind subway nerd.

so is this a permenent change or temporary? i think its nice that the MTA mixes things up a bit, the R160 R was a welcome change to a bland line with long headways

I saw and rode a R160 (R) this afternoon...and to answer the first part of your post it all comes down to what's available for service.

I saw and rode a R160 (R) this afternoon...and to answer the first part of your post it all comes down to what's available for service.

Saw that set too coming into 42nd Street sometime around 7:30pm

face_palm.jpg

Thats what this entire thread made me do...

I read all the pages of this thread and I have to write something about the things mentioned. Although, I don't live in NY, I think that, from what I've seen the NTTs are more practical. That being said I wouldn't call any train a piece of ****. All trains are there to get people from point A to point B. Most people are ignorant about train types. I do agree that a change once in a while is something special for railfans. I know it because here in Athens there are only 2 subway car types going on both lines. I agree that old trains have more character especially R62s and R68s with the colored seats. But things move on. I think one day R160s will be missed as well. Anyway, for us all trains should be special.

P.S. I don't think a hobo would care about what kind of train he's sleeping in...

I think one day R160s will be missed as well.

I have to agree b\c when the R-44's went out of service my heart goes out to those cars getting the job done especially on the (A).They lasted a good enough time 38-39yrs ain't bad.And now people are happy n shit the 44's are gone but then the 160 haters come into play b\c the R-179's are supposed to replace the R44/42 and 32 class I believe and suppose the 179's come out very similar to the R160's then people will want the R44's back.

i just wish the (MTA) would make another change that would make all R68A's go back on the (Q) (Even though i still get them on the (:D(N)). that would be so awesome! Those R160's just doesnt look right on the (Q). im not saying they're bad cars, but .....idk......something just doesnt look right with R160's on that line.

oh man it would be so nice to have the R68A's back on the (Q). The (:D(N) can still use regular R68's along with w.e.'s available, lol.

Here's what changes i would do to the fleet on the (A)(:)(D)(N)(Q):

-R46 can be used on the (B)(N) with the regular R68's.

-R160's can be used on the (A). (believe me, they can, especially if it passed that 30-day test). They could even used on the (C).

-R68A's can be used again on the (Q) until its time for those trains to die out, which would be another 20-30 years from now.

if i were to work for the (MTA), i would do anything to have the R68A's put back on the (Q). i love R68A's. Long live the R68A's, especially on the (Q).

To DanielTheCool, BrightonLocal and all R68/R68A subway car lovers, shout out to all of you, lol.

so is this a permenent change or temporary? i think its nice that the MTA mixes things up a bit, the R160 R was a welcome change to a bland line with long headways

I saw that train exactly 5 times (that same set) throught the day yesterday and I wasn't even looking for it at all. I guess it was all they had to run

Thats what this entire thread made me do...

I lol'd...I never knew it was possible for a thread to change topics that quickly, and most of it was nonsense

Wow, based on the way this thread has gone (foamers complaining about certain car types and acting like morons over a silly train), it seems to be the perfect time for me to return and launch my attack on you suckers. I have been waiting for this for quite sometime. Here are some things I must point out based on what I have seen with my own two eyes:

1. Except for Zach, Luis, and a few other overweight people, Brighton riders hate the R68/68As after finally realizing how fat and slow they truly are. I live at Sheepshead Bay and go to Hunter College five days a week. I alternate between riding the (:D and (Q) and see the same results all the time. Going northbound, Q riders look ten times happier and more active than B riders and going southbound, people run for the Q like maniacs, but back away sternly from the B. They probably do not care that the B will return to normal express service later this year because they will keep riding the Q local like me for the mere fact that it uses better cars (I always take the (C) over the (A) for this reason and they especially hate to see the scenario where an R68 (:) and R160 (Q) simultaneously leave a station and the Q accelerates quicker and leaves the B behind until it reaches the next local station). So no, you will not see R68/68As on the (Q) again and they need to be taken off the (B) right away. Brighton riders are sick of those chubby chicks. They want cars that are fast and durable and the only car type other than the R160s that rank supreme in both categories is the sleek and shiny R32s. They are perfect on the part-time (B) line.

2. Conversely, R68/68As would be perfect for the (A)/©. They go through the fattest neighborhoods in the city, so they should use the system's fattest cars. The obesity rates along Eighth Avenue, Fulton Street, and the Rockaways are astronomical; 4 out of 5 people need to go on a diet and I am sick of constantly being squeezed out of my seat by those chubbos.

3. IDK what is wrong with all of you, but R160s are great cars, a huge upgrade over the POS they replaced, and well liked by train crew and riders alike. Workers are happiest when they are assigned to operate an R160 and riders are overjoyed and fascinated every time an R160 train pulls up to their station. The cars they replaced had flaws that resulted in negative feedback from riders:

A) R32s: despite their superb durability and cosmetic condition, they are prone to mechanical failures after being pushed way beyond their limits to provide service on the (C) and (E) lines, two of the most heavily used in the system. Those two lines are plagued with impatient jerks holding car doors open and doing other stuff that damages the train. They need SMS and fast if they are to last another five to six years.

B) R38s: years of operating through Jamaica Bay and some of the worst neighborhoods in the city have resulted in severe rotting on their car bodies and lots of dirty and grime in their interiors. I have been to public toilets that were cleaner than these cars.

C) R40/40Ms: the slanted design proved dangerous and hideous for riders, who also hated their uncomfortable seats and bumpy rides. Nearby residents also hated them for their excessive rumbling while train crew hated their tiny compartments.

D): R42s: cosmetically and structurally, they are the absolute worst in the system with rusted car bodies, horrible graffiti and scrachitti (the BMT Jamaica Line is plagued with gang violence and graffiti artists), ugly interiors, and uncomfortable seats. IDK why they are still in service. They are useless since ENY has enough cars to make the (J)/(Z) exclusively R160s. If anything, they should send 50 R32s from 207th Street (there are 230 of them, but only 144 run at any given time) to ENY and retire the R42s already so that J/Z riders have one less misery to deal with. When I ride them, I am the only happy person on board and the only reason why I am happy is because the miserable look on everyone else's faces is downright amusing. That is the only thing that keeps me from going insane on an R42.

E) R44s: without a doubt, the biggest failures in NYCS history. 75 footers proved to be a huge step backward and you will never see another car type of that length as a result. The R44s are fat, slow, ugly, and have too many mechanical, structural, and technical problems. Every time I rode on them, something had to malfunction, from the doors to the lights to the air-conditioning, the list goes on. The once powerful St. Louis Car Company collapsed due to their defects.

4. The most mature thing to do if you are in love with a particular car type is to follow it wherever it goes. If you like the R32s, move to the (C) line (Fulton Street or 8th Avenue). If you like the R68/68As, move to the (B) and (D) lines (West End, Grand Street, or Grand Concourse). If you like the R160s, then you are in luck because you can get them wherever you go. However, do not sacrifice other people's convenience for your own by asking the MTA to change car assignments because you want that way, especially if your fellow riders will not. Conversely, the most mature thing to do if you hate a particular car type is to avoid it all costs and not complain about them on transit forums. If you hate the R32s, avoid the (C). If you hate the R46s, avoid the (A)(G)(R). If you hate the R160s, then leave New York City. I still avoid my least favorite car types no matter what and it is not too hard now that all the ugly fatty R44s have been retired and they are only 50 rusted tin cans at ENY. So if I am on the (J)/(Z) and an R42 train comes, I do what all other riders do when they are not in a hurry; we do not get on board, we simply wait for the next train, which is guaranteed to be an R160A since NYCT never schedules two R42 trains to run consecutively. Last time I did that, I must have counted 10-15 people who did the same. The facial expressions J/Z riders make every time they see that the next incoming train consists of rusted tin cans are priceless and I sometimes give the train a nice kick in the shin or butt for making the lives of those who have to ride them a living hell.

5. Replacing old cars is the MTA's top priority no matter how big their budget deficit is. Why else do you think their capital plan already includes ordering replacement cars for the R62/62As and R68/68As even though they can last past 2030 with their superb stainless steel car bodies?

Ooh, letting all that out felt really good :D

Wow, based on the way this thread has gone (foamers complaining about certain car types and acting like morons over a silly train), it seems to be the perfect time for me to return and launch my attack on you suckers. I have been waiting for this for quite sometime. Here are some things I must point out based on what I have seen with my own two eyes:

1. Except for Zach, Luis, and a few other overweight people, Brighton riders hate the R68/68As after finally realizing how fat and slow they truly are. I live at Sheepshead Bay and go to Hunter College five days a week. I alternate between riding the (:D and (Q) and see the same results all the time. Going northbound, Q riders look ten times happier and more active than B riders and going southbound, people run for the Q like maniacs, but back away sternly from the B. They probably do not care that the B will return to normal express service later this year because they will keep riding the Q local like me for the mere fact that it uses better cars (I always take the (C) over the (A) for this reason and they especially hate to see the scenario where an R68 (:) and R160 (Q) simultaneously leave a station and the Q accelerates quicker and leaves the B behind until it reaches the next local station). So no, you will not see R68/68As on the (Q) again and they need to be taken off the (B) right away. Brighton riders are sick of those chubby chicks. They want cars that are fast and durable and the only car type other than the R160s that rank supreme in both categories is the sleek and shiny R32s. They are perfect on the part-time (B) line.

2. Conversely, R68/68As would be perfect for the (A)/©. They go through the fattest neighborhoods in the city, so they should use the system's fattest cars. The obesity rates along Eighth Avenue, Fulton Street, and the Rockaways are astronomical; 4 out of 5 people need to go on a diet and I am sick of constantly being squeezed out of my seat by those chubbos.

3. IDK what is wrong with all of you, but R160s are great cars, a huge upgrade over the POS they replaced, and well liked by train crew and riders alike. Workers are happiest when they are assigned to operate an R160 and riders are overjoyed and fascinated every time an R160 train pulls up to their station. The cars they replaced had flaws that resulted in negative feedback from riders:

A) R32s: despite their superb durability and cosmetic condition, they are prone to mechanical failures after being pushed way beyond their limits to provide service on the (C) and (E) lines, two of the most heavily used in the system. Those two lines are plagued with impatient jerks holding car doors open and doing other stuff that damages the train. They need SMS and fast if they are to last another five to six years.

B) R38s: years of operating through Jamaica Bay and some of the worst neighborhoods in the city have resulted in severe rotting on their car bodies and lots of dirty and grime in their interiors. I have been to public toilets that were cleaner than these cars.

C) R40/40Ms: the slanted design proved dangerous and hideous for riders, who also hated their uncomfortable seats and bumpy rides. Nearby residents also hated them for their excessive rumbling while train crew hated their tiny compartments.

D): R42s: cosmetically and structurally, they are the absolute worst in the system with rusted car bodies, horrible graffiti and scrachitti (the BMT Jamaica Line is plagued with gang violence and graffiti artists), ugly interiors, and uncomfortable seats. IDK why they are still in service. They are useless since ENY has enough cars to make the (J)/(Z) exclusively R160s. If anything, they should send 50 R32s from 207th Street (there are 230 of them, but only 144 run at any given time) to ENY and retire the R42s already so that J/Z riders have one less misery to deal with. When I ride them, I am the only happy person on board and the only reason why I am happy is because the miserable look on everyone else's faces is downright amusing. That is the only thing that keeps me from going insane on an R42.

E) R44s: without a doubt, the biggest failures in NYCS history. 75 footers proved to be a huge step backward and you will never see another car type of that length as a result. The R44s are fat, slow, ugly, and have too many mechanical, structural, and technical problems. Every time I rode on them, something had to malfunction, from the doors to the lights to the air-conditioning, the list goes on. The once powerful St. Louis Car Company collapsed due to their defects.

4. The most mature thing to do if you are in love with a particular car type is to follow it wherever it goes. If you like the R32s, move to the (C) line (Fulton Street or 8th Avenue). If you like the R68/68As, move to the (B) and (D) lines (West End, Grand Street, or Grand Concourse). If you like the R160s, then you are in luck because you can get them wherever you go. However, do not sacrifice other people's convenience for your own by asking the MTA to change car assignments because you want that way, especially if your fellow riders will not. Conversely, the most mature thing to do if you hate a particular car type is to avoid it all costs and not complain about them on transit forums. If you hate the R32s, avoid the (C). If you hate the R46s, avoid the (A)(G)(R). If you hate the R160s, then leave New York City. I still avoid my least favorite car types no matter what and it is not too hard now that all the ugly fatty R44s have been retired and they are only 50 rusted tin cans at ENY. So if I am on the (J)/(Z) and an R42 train comes, I do what all other riders do when they are not in a hurry; we do not get on board, we simply wait for the next train, which is guaranteed to be an R160A since NYCT never schedules two R42 trains to run consecutively. Last time I did that, I must have counted 10-15 people who did the same. The facial expressions J/Z riders make every time they see that the next incoming train consists of rusted tin cans are priceless and I sometimes give the train a nice kick in the shin or butt for making the lives of those who have to ride them a living hell.

5. Replacing old cars is the MTA's top priority no matter how big their budget deficit is. Why else do you think their capital plan already includes ordering replacement cars for the R62/62As and R68/68As even though they can last past 2030 with their superb stainless steel car bodies?

First off how you know the Brighton Riders hates the R68/R68As? can you read their minds? uh no

Second what makes you think we'll never see one on the (Q) Again? Like wtf

dude, idk where u been at, but u swear u know everything. u assume ur answers are perfect when they are not. im gonna tell u straight up, it was just an idea. everybody has the right to speak their ideas on here, not for fools like u to come and just put them to the floor only because YOU think its stupid. u r no perfect than anybody else on here. nobody is perfect. that is why u have people attacking u on this site. u have a nasty mouth and are also very disrespectful to others. that is why people dont look up to u. how the hell do you know what brighton riders like and dont like? i bet u that alot of riders perfer the R68/R68A's on the Brighton Line than the R160's. The only reason why u say that is because you're speaking for yourself. Like my other buddy said, since u love to criticize about other people's ideas, make yourself a webpage where u can make all of your nasty comments you want, and lets see how many people will actually subscribe to your crap.

May i remind you, you are not perfect than anybody else. Everyone has the right to put down their ideas on here. i rest my case.

First off how you know the Brighton Riders hates the R68/R68As? can you read their minds? uh no

Second what makes you think we'll never see one on the (Q) Again? Like wtf

dude, idk where u been at, but u swear u know everything. u assume ur answers are perfect when they are not. im gonna tell u straight up, it was just an idea. everybody has the right to speak their ideas on here, not for fools like u to come and just put them to the floor only because YOU think its stupid. u r no perfect than anybody else on here. nobody is perfect. that is why u have people attacking u on this site. u have a nasty mouth and are also very disrespectful to others. that is why people dont look up to u. how the hell do you know what brighton riders like and dont like? i bet u that alot of riders perfer the R68/R68A's on the Brighton Line than the R160's. The only reason why u say that is because you're speaking for yourself. Like my other buddy said, since u love to criticize about other people's ideas, make yourself a webpage where u can make all of your nasty comments all you want, and lets see how many people will actually subscribe to your crap.

May i remind you, you are not perfect than anybody else. Everyone has the right to put down their ideas on here.

FlushingExpress has a tendency for making shit up. Ignore him.

Archived