R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

The announcements are set by the current time as it's set on the computers. However, a conductor can choose the time/day period for the transfers when selecting a route as well.

So the (Z) was removed because the conductor changed the program, not because of a clock?

I ask this cause the change happened in the middle of an express run.

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In this case, it was probably due to the internal clock. If it was changed by the conductor, you would've noticed because that would've required a system reset. The automated announcements on all trains from the 142s and up queue up the appropriate transfers based on the time of day and will change automatically as necessary. I believe there are a couple of videos on YouTube that show this in action. For those wondering, the times in which the transfer announcements change are not based exactly on the service times. The following is based on my observations and my be wrong:

Rush hour: Mon-Fri; 06:00-10:00, 15:30-20:00

Midday: Mon-Fri; 10:00-15:30

Evening: Mon-Fri; 20:00-00:00

Weekend: Sat, Sun: 06:00-00:00

Late night: All; 00:00-06:00

It's correct information so I'd assume someone who's been reading this thread and paying attention to the order.

3010-3011-3012-3013-3014 | 3015-3016-3017-3018-3019

It was me. I am Kew Gardens 613.

Who in the world updated the R179 wiki page for 3010-3019 to be a 5 car set?

Union hold on a minute, you don't even know if 3010 exists as a A car yet. For all we know it could start with 3011. 

Even if you don't think 3010 "exists" (it does for the record) for it to be a 5 car set, if you know 3014 and 3019 are A cars then 3010 and 3015 will be too. They wouldn't make 3011-3014 a 4 car set and then 3015-3019 a 5 car set.

Aren't the R160s already connected to WiFi or some sort of clock?

I was on an E yesterday that listed the (Z) as a transfer. As soon as the clock struck ten, the (Z) disappeared off the FIND.

they're preprogrammed with routes and transfers. there is a wifi antenna under the 160's it will probably be used for targeted advertising later on, but as of now, they don't do anything

Edited by nyct+ci+AL

I took a good look at both #3012 and #3013 a couple of hours ago. The placement of the number plates in the R179 B cars is different that on the R160 B cars. In the R160, the plates on the B cars are on the extreme ends, and on the A cars, the blind end plate is at the extreme and the cab plate is located between the first door and window, not between the front and the first door. The placement on the R179 B cars is similar to the R160 A cars. And the R179 does indeed have loop-poles.

Some of you guys seem to be nitpicking minor differences that are obvious standouts from the R-160 subway car. The 179 is just an "upgraded" version of the 160's. The comparisons are like R-32/38,62/62A,68/68A, and 142/A/188 its very minor. I hope none of you were expecting a different appealing subway car other than a 160 look alike  :P

That's not nitpicking. I'm pointing out another small aesthetic difference between the two that I haven't seen anyone else point out. Just like an old school buff pointing out the difference in light bulbs at different stations, or the type of material used in the Triplex cars versus the R11.

Its funny that Trucks can't deliver subway cars over the bridge anytime they want when their was plans for subway service to run over the GWB, so the Bridge should be able the handle the weight of a single empty subway car + rush hour traffic.

With that being said, since social media has become so popular since when the 160s debuted, when the 179s DO run in service I hope the TA publicly posts the schedule when it will run on twitter or something, they posted the schedule of the R110B when it was new in newspapers in the early 90s. Will make it much easier for people to find it rather than waiting hours at a Stop like Fulton Street or Chambers - WTC for it show up.

I had a weird dream with R179 car #3014. I was in the yard along with other people with my synagogue. I was taking pictures of the car. The head of the Transit Museum told me not to, and I called her by the name of the previous head of the TM. I took pictures any way and I walked away and I ended up in a party. Skipping what happened then, I was in my mother's car backing up into a road in the yard alongside the R179, and then I was able to take a video of it. For some reason, the Harlem River was not anywhere to be seen in my dream.

Its funny that Trucks can't deliver subway cars over the bridge anytime they want when their was plans for subway service to run over the GWB, so the Bridge should be able the handle the weight of a single empty subway car + rush hour traffic.

With that being said, since social media has become so popular since when the 160s debuted, when the 179s DO run in service I hope the TA publicly posts the schedule when it will run on twitter or something, they posted the schedule of the R110B when it was new in newspapers in the early 90s. Will make it much easier for people to find it rather than waiting hours at a Stop like Fulton Street or Chambers - WTC for it show up.

The bridge's lower level was supposed to handle two tracks of RR trains, and two tracks from the Eighth Avenue Line. The 174th Street Yard was meant as the connection to the bridge. That is funny. Maybe Governor Christie was sitting on the bridge.

I also hope that they post the schedule. I hope it is not in the middle of a school day. I am not the kind of person to cut school.

I had a weird dream with R179 car #3014. I was in the yard along with other people with my synagogue. I was taking pictures of the car. The head of the Transit Museum told me not to, and I called her by the name of the previous head of the TM. I took pictures any way and I walked away and I ended up in a party. Skipping what happened then, I was in my mother's car backing up into a road in the yard alongside the R179, and then I was able to take a video of it. For some reason, the Harlem River was not anywhere to be seen in my dream.

The bridge's lower level was supposed to handle two tracks of RR trains, and two tracks from the Eighth Avenue Line. The 174th Street Yard was meant as the connection to the bridge. That is funny. Maybe Governor Christie was sitting on the bridge.

I also hope that they post the schedule. I hope it is not in the middle of a school day. I am not the kind of person to cut school.

I'm certain it will run during the PM Rush when the 30 day test starts..