R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They might as well, as being at Pitkin/207 they still can't be interchanged with the other 179's, because of the set lengths (unless they decide to do 9 car trains, but that's a whole lot of changes they don't seem to be considering). So wherever they go, they're going to be "oddballs" (which to me makes it still ridiculous to get so few; unless they decide to put most of them on the Rockaway Park shuttle or something).

I never discussed these trains and where they're going. Some say the A is final. Looking at how many they ordered, why won't they just go to the (G) as 5 car sets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They still have to use a few R68 sets as those R179s wouldn't be able to fill in the entire (G) Train.

They might as well, as being at Pitkin/207 they still can't be interchanged with the other 179's, because of the set lengths (unless they decide to do 9 car trains, but that's a whole lot of changes they don't seem to be considering). So wherever they go, they're going to be "oddballs" (which to me makes it still ridiculous to get so few; unless they decide to put most of them on the Rockaway Park shuttle or something).

Even so, they'd still be using the same parts as the 4-car sets. The 5-car R179s would be much more out of place at Coney Island Yard, especially if they're the only R179s there.

I got a feeling those 4 ten car sets are to eliminate the need for the 32s and that one 68 they run on the A. A good assumption is that they are going to have them on the A for that reason and to keep them basically maintained by the same yards. I also assume that its only at CI since that is a major shop. Gotta have those guys go over the train and learn it.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

What other testing does the R179s have to go through besides EMI testing?

-Track testing (propulsion, power draw / regen brake, acceleration, braking, top speed, ride quality, etc)

-EMI (testing for possible interference from the AC propulsion system on wayside electronics, etc)

-Door testing

-Suspension testing

-AAS testing (I presume)

-Simulated stop testing

-30 day in-revenue testing

My editors eyes have identified a couple minute ones. The MTA logo is more centered (the flag is slightly lower as a result) and there are no grab bars on the outer right hand side. The silver lining between the doorway and the bonnet is much thinner.

Edited by LTA1992

My editors eyes have identified a couple minute ones. The MTA logo is more centered (the flag is slightly lower as a result) and there are no grab bars on the outer right hand side. The silver lining between the doorway and the bonnet is much thinner.

Actually there are grab bars on the right hand side, however they have been moved to the grey portion of the fiberglass, so in some photos they're hard to see.

19420683_333697110397096_775137719643680

Actually there are grab bars on the right hand side, however they have been moved to the grey portion of the fiberglass, so in some photos they're hard to see.

19420683_333697110397096_775137719643680

Grazie. At any rate, another minute difference. Truth be told, somehow, the bonnet looks cleaner with those bits of extra space on the black.