R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

The 8 car set's been doing that in the evenings on the (C).

I'm guessing once they're done with EMI testing on Brighton, the 10-car train will also be doing simulated testing on the (A)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do any of you know if they will be out testing on the Brighton line?

Whenever the Brighton Beach Bound (B) runs local between Prospect Park and Kings Highway. They are having that G.O every weekday until July 28th, it was posted a while back this reason for this G.O was so the 179 could test on the express track.

Whenever the Brighton Beach Bound (B) runs local between Prospect Park and Kings Highway. They are having that G.O every weekday until July 28th, it was posted a while back this reason for this G.O was so the 179 could test on the express track.

I left out the word tomorrow.

So the EMI is 50 consecutive miles? Didnt know that. Is the revenue still 30 consecutive days?

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

I apologize that was a typo. Thanks for pointing that out. It’s 500 miles for EMI, and yes I think it’s still 30 day for revenue, however this could be extended due to the fact that this order has been severely delayed and plagued with issues.

Yes but they still need to do simulated testing before they start the 30 day revenue testing.

I'm guessing once they're done with EMI testing on Brighton, the 10-car train will also be doing simulated testing on the (A)

They were out today. A few people posted pictures on facebook.

It seems that some things have been combined. I was told they did an (A) simulation, but I will have to confirm that so don’t quote me.

I forgot to link my photos and videos, but I’m sure most of you saw them on Facebook already.

Edited by East New York

How does the R179 get to the Brighton Express test track? Does it enter it from Kings Highway or does go all the way down to Prospect Park? I'm planning to check out the train this week and I'm too lazy to chase it, I'm gonna try and catch it when the train is going slowly, don't care about taking pics or vids just wanna catch a glimpse of the train.

How does the R179 get to the Brighton Express test track? Does it enter it from Kings Highway or does go all the way down to Prospect Park? I'm planning to check out the train this week and I'm too lazy to chase it, I'm gonna try and catch it when the train is going slowly, don't care about taking pics or vids just wanna catch a glimpse of the train.

It runs between Kings Highway and Parkside or Newkirk Plaza on the Brighton Beach bound express track

In the morning, the train leaves Coney Island Yard and runs down the northbound express track to Prospect Park, followed by the protect set. Once at PP, the test train reverses and heads down the southbound express track, again followed by the protect. The protect then stops at Parkside, and sets up the northern GO limits, while the test train proceeds to Kings Highway and sets up southern GO limits. After the track is blocked out, testing begins.

Additionally, if anyone is looking for R179 action tonight, the 4-car set that got transferred to ENY a week or so ago is getting transferred back to 207 tonight, probably within the next few hours.

Edited by Fan Railer

Day 2 of testing on the Brighton did not go as well as expected. I have been asked not to speak on the specific issues, however, Bombardier will NOT get the R211 contract. That is unofficial and only my opinion, but you all can take my quote to the bank. It's a done deal for them. This is absolutely insane that this train is not in service yet. MTA may be the hardest TA to work with on the planet but there is a good reason for that. At this point MTA is extremely disappointed in the EIS of the R179, and they have right to be. I created an R179 thread in 2009, then a brand new thread in 2011. It is now 2017 and I really don't see this train entering revenue service testing in August on the (A). I have pics of day 2 as well. I have not uploaded yet, but they are viewable on Facebook in the Transit Photos & Videos. I will upload to either YouTube or Photobucket this evening for the people who don't have Facebook or don't have access as both of these comm uh cities are private if I recall correctly.

Edited by Cait Sith

Day 2 of testing on the Brighton did not go as well as expected. I have been asked not to speak on the specific issues, however, Bombardier will NOT get the R211 contract. That is unofficial and only my opinion, but you all can take my quote to the bank. It's a done deal for them. This is absolutely insane that this train is not in service yet. MTA may be the hardest TA to work with on the planet but there is a good reason for that. At this point MTA is extremely disappointed in the EIS of the R179, and they have right to be. I created an R179 thread in 2009, then a brand new thread in 2011. It is now 2017 and I really don't see this train entering revenue service testing in August on the (A)

Unbelievable. So who does that leave then? Alstom?

Day 2 of testing on the Brighton did not go as well as expected. I have been asked not to speak on the specific issues, however, Bombardier will NOT get the R211 contract. That is unofficial and only my opinion, but you all can take my quote to the bank. It's a done deal for them. This is absolutely insane that this train is not in service yet. MTA may be the hardest TA to work with on the planet but there is a good reason for that. At this point MTA is extremely disappointed in the EIS of the R179, and they have right to be. I created an R179 thread in 2009, then a brand new thread in 2011. It is now 2017 and I really don't see this train entering revenue service testing in August on the (A). I have pics of day 2 as well. I have not uploaded yet, but they are viewable on Facebook in the he Society of Real Transit Enthusiasts as well as Transit Photos & Videos. I will upload to either YouTube or Photobucket this evening for the people who don't have Facebook or don't have access as both of these comm uh cities are private if I recall correctly.

So what's the current plan? Are the R179s continuing to test and push the revenue service date or is the order cancelled?

Alston and Kawasaki as far as companies with previous business with NYCT. There's others but who knows if they can produce a railcar for NYC

I wonder what in hell happened with Bombardier.... Used to work right by their testing facilities when I was in college and would see the trains on the tracks... Awful... I think the (MTA) should be concerned too.  If only Alstom and Kawasaki are in the picture, that means less competition and perhaps higher costs going forward for new trains.  Plattsburgh can ill afford to lose Bombardier either. Employs too many people in the region.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Day 2 of testing on the Brighton did not go as well as expected. I have been asked not to speak on the specific issues, however, Bombardier will NOT get the R211 contract. That is unofficial and only my opinion, but you all can take my quote to the bank. It's a done deal for them. This is absolutely insane that this train is not in service yet. MTA may be the hardest TA to work with on the planet but there is a good reason for that. At this point MTA is extremely disappointed in the EIS of the R179, and they have right to be. I created an R179 thread in 2009, then a brand new thread in 2011. It is now 2017 and I really don't see this train entering revenue service testing in August on the (A). I have pics of day 2 as well. I have not uploaded yet, but they are viewable on Facebook in the he Society of Real Transit Enthusiasts as well as Transit Photos & Videos. I will upload to either YouTube or Photobucket this evening for the people who don't have Facebook or don't have access as both of these comm uh cities are private if I recall correctly.

To be fair, it took the R160s almost a year before they entered service. The R160A-2s were delivered in December 2005 and entered service in October 2006. The R160Bs were delivered in July of 2005 and went into service in August/September of 2006.

I have a feeling that the R179s will enter service faster than the R160s.

Edited by Cait Sith

I wonder what in hell happened with Bombardier.... Awful... I think the (MTA) should be concerned too. If only Alstom and Bombardier are in the picture, that means less competition and perhaps higher costs going forward for new trains.

In a way this is why I'm hoping CRRC can make quality cars here in the US. Hyundai-Rotem had their hiccup in Philly with the SL-Vs that may make them look a little worrisome to many in regards to if they can meet requirements. To level out the plating field more may help with getting affordable, well-built fleets.

I use to be a huge fan of Bombardier since the arrival of their 62s back in the 80s. Now I see a falling player in a game that is seeing it come down to the final two so to speak

To be fair, it took the R160s a year before they entered service.

I have a feeling that the R179s will enter service faster than the R160s.

Although this is true, did the 160s go thru what the 179s have gone thru prior to arriving onto the property? Gotta look at the whole pic. Yeah the 160s took a year, but how long did they take to be built and delivered?

In a way this is why I'm hoping CRRC can make quality cars here in the US. Hyundai-Rotem had their hiccup in Philly with the SL-Vs that may make them look a little worrisome to many in regards to if they can meet requirements. To level out the plating field more may help with getting affordable, well-built fleets.

I use to be a huge fan of Bombardier since the arrival of their 62s back in the 80s. Now I see a falling player in a game that is seeing it come down to the final two so to speak

Although this is true, did the 160s go thru what the 179s have gone thru prior to arriving onto the property? Gotta look at the whole pic. Yeah the 160s took a year, but how long did they take to be built and delivered?

The R160s were built and delivered quickly, but that doesn't necessarily ensure that the quality will be top notch. The R142s & R142As exemplifies that in my opinion. The ride quality of the R142As is atrocious. The R188s are starting to see the same problems. The R142s overall quality is far more superior than their Kawasaki counterparts, better ride quality, better HVAC and so on.

In terms of testing, the R160s did have their own issues too.

The R160s are also starting to see the same ride quality problems as the R142As, with the bucking and such. At the end of the day, my only concern with the cars is reliability and long-term quality, I think it's safe to say that the R142s are probably the best NTTs we have right now.

(this is just my opinion)

Edited by Cait Sith