R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, I’m guessing tomorrow morning at 8am there will be quite a party in Jamaica? 

My cousin is going out to see it, and I told him to position at Sutphin-JFK, that way he’s inside (removed from the cold elements), on an island platform, and you have good airport & LIRR crowds, so it’s safer than, say, Broadway Junction at 8am. 

5 minutes ago, R42N said:

So, I’m guessing tomorrow morning at 8am there will be quite a party in Jamaica? 

My cousin is going out to see it, and I told him to position at Sutphin-JFK, that way he’s inside (removed from the cold elements), on an island platform, and you have good airport & LIRR crowds, so it’s safer than, say, Broadway Junction at 8am. 

Broadway Junction is safe at 8am, its even safe at 2am! There's a police station in the station at street level.

1 minute ago, trainfan22 said:

Broadway Junction is safe at 8am, its even safe at 2am! There's a police station in the station at street level.

My cousin is 15 (I’m over twice his age) so maybe I’m just being protective, but I don’t want him waiting in the freezing cold, and him having to run to a different platform if it comes in a different direction. 

He lives near the (E) line, so Jamaica is a better place to position, and, he might even catch the first run.

---

That being said, that’s good to know about Bwy Junction, I guess I got a bad impression. 

Just now, Union Tpke said:

Why did you consider the 7:10?

The 7:10 comes in straight from the yard, OOS. There are trains that do that beforehand, but I don’t think the Bombardier professionals will scheduled before 7am. 

Again, that’s a total, total guess. 

I also heard from my uncle who works in RTO that it will be the 9:47 from Jamaica Center. That's one of the put ins in the schedule apparently 

EDIT: Decided to just call him to make sure he said thats indeed what it will be - happy hunting folks

Edited by RFWLover

2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

I seen this train parked on the upper level at ENY yard, it stands out because its so much more shiner and cleaner all all the other trains in the yard, even the 143s & 160s.

Wait a few months and it won't stand out.

Edited by R68OnBroadway

9 hours ago, Tech And Transit said:

Rumor is 9:47 out of Parsons.

8 hours ago, RFWLover said:

I also heard from my uncle who works in RTO that it will be the 9:47 from Jamaica Center. That's one of the put ins in the schedule apparently 

EDIT: Decided to just call him to make sure he said thats indeed what it will be - happy hunting folks

Thanks for the time!

3 hours ago, LTA1992 said:

Maybe for those without an eye for detail. Whether people notice or not, the R179 does have a distinct look. It's just hard for me to describe it. 

It certainly has a distinctive sound, at least for NYC subway trains.

1 hour ago, Dj Hammers said:

It was actually very quiet!

Also, Tech and Transit has the honor of being the first paying passenger aboard the R179. Congrats to him!

Congrats indeed! And who knows, maybe I’ll happen to catch it tomorrow morning while waiting for the (J) at Canal. I usually take the (N) or (Q) to work and get off at Canal, so you have to go upstairs to the (J) platform in order to exit the station onto Centre St.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue