R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/5/2018 at 2:08 PM, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Are they testing any trains on the Brighton line??

According to the MTA website southbound B trains are running local in Brooklyn due to equipment testing. 

Maybe it's set 3010-3019 that came out of the shadow????

It's happening again. For those who are wondering about set 3010-3019, I suggest that you hop on the B, or Q trains to Brooklyn during the afternoons before the pm rush hour.  

Based on the MTA website,  you might bump into set 3010-3019.

2 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

It's happening again. For those who are wondering about set 3010-3019, I suggest that you hop on the B, or Q trains to Brooklyn during the afternoons before the pm rush hour.  

Based on the MTA website,  you might bump into set 3010-3019.

It didn't happen yesterday despite being on the website. Idk about today though.

24 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

I find it suspicius how the 4 car R179's went into service first yet the 5 car set is nowhere to be found.

Suspicious how?  The order has been having major problems and quality control issues, so as has been mentioned by @m2fwannabe, cars are delivered then placed into service as the issues are resolved.  Also, 3010-3014 were the first R179s to be delivered and ostensibly came in with the most problems.  Hell, 3015-3019 went missing for awhile due to the set losing power.  It's not suspicious (nor surprising); just the result of the atrocious quality control (whatever QC there is) on Bombardier's part, and the MTA's need to put new trains into service yesterday.

12 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

To be fair....3010-3019 is the actual test train set, as indicated in the contract.

Weren't 3050-3057 and 3058-3065 also considered test trains after a contract modification?

Edited by Bosco

29 minutes ago, Coney Island Av said:

Do you mean they will be transferred to Pitkin from 207 St? Or will they be DELIVERED to Pitkin or 207 St? 

Probably transferred to Pitkin from 207 St, since 3098-3099 should've been delivered yesterday, and 3100-3101 was delivered the day before.

Since the (C) will be gradually giving its R160A1 cars back to East New York, approximately how many sets of R179s should we expect at ENY once all is said and done?

1 hour ago, Bosco said:

Probably transferred to Pitkin from 207 St, since 3098-3099 should've been delivered yesterday, and 3100-3101 was delivered the day before.

Since the (C) will be gradually giving its R160A1 cars back to East New York, approximately how many sets of R179s should we expect at ENY once all is said and done?

The number I've heard thrown around is 8.

18 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

The number I've heard thrown around is 8.

That would leave 16.5 8-car trains for the (G) or whatever other line(s) are slated to get them.  Speaking of which, if the (G) is to become 480' (since 600' is not happening until the R211s come in), would it make more sense to give ENY all R179 4-car sets and bump out some non-CBTC R160s to the (G) to maintain uniformity?

41 minutes ago, Bosco said:

That would leave 16.5 8-car trains for the (G) or whatever other line(s) are slated to get them.  Speaking of which, if the (G) is to become 480' (since 600' is not happening until the R211s come in), would it make more sense to give ENY all R179 4-car sets and bump out some non-CBTC R160s to the (G) to maintain uniformity?

That would actually not lead to uniformity because although the 196 cars would make 24.5 (J) trains (which is a tight spare factor in itself), you would only have 68 R160A-1s for the (G) because 64 are for the (L) and 240 are for the (M). Then you would have the 50 cars in 5-car sets of R160s and 68 R160A-1 cars in 4-car sets as oddballs in Coney Island Yard

49 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

That would actually not lead to uniformity because although the 196 cars would make 24.5 (J) trains (which is a tight spare factor in itself), you would only have 68 R160A-1s for the (G) because 64 are for the (L) and 240 are for the (M). Then you would have the 50 cars in 5-car sets of R160s and 68 R160A-1 cars in 4-car sets as oddballs in Coney Island Yard

Yes, but under my idea, ENY would keep some non-CBTC R160A1s, and some R179s would go on the (M).  There's no reason the (J) and (M) can't swap NTTs, especially once the Myrtle construction wraps up.  Also, the R160A1s wouldn't be oddballs per se because Coney Island already has some R160A2s and a lot of R160Bs.  The A1 and A2 classes are basically the same except for one extra B car.

1 hour ago, darkstar8983 said:

Did you mean 500? And I think for uniformity all the 8-car R-179’s should be at East New York. Whatever R160A-1’s can be handed over to the (G) 24.5 cars is more than enough for the (J) since it’s “spares” are usually the (M)’s R160’s or the (L)’s R143’s. 

1 hour ago, VIP said:

Did you mean 500? And I think for uniformity all the 8-car R-179’s should be at East New York. Whatever R160A-1’s can be handed over to the (G) 24.5 cars is more than enough for the (J) since it’s “spares” are usually the (M)’s R160’s or the (L)’s R143’s. 

Nope I actually meant the 50 or so non-CBTC R160s that will be left over after the Queens Blvd automation. And each line should have its own spares: this is part of the reason why we have low MDBF.

1 hour ago, darkstar8983 said:

Nope I actually meant the 50 or so non-CBTC R160s that will be left over after the Queens Blvd automation. And each line should have its own spares: this is part of the reason why we have low MDBF.

Even then, couldn't you put CBTC equipment on the R179?  Surely they are CBTC ready (unless the MTA just wants to get them in service without it, which is understandable).  Although they should install it soon either way because the 5-car sets on the (A) will get them at some point for 8 Ave CBTC.

Why did the MTA originally project some R179's to go to the (M)? Why is it just the (A)(C)(J)(Z) that's getting them now? 

And I also have a question about 3010-3019 and 3050-3057. I know they are test trains, but 3058-3061 entered service already, and it's a test train. How come these two oddballs haven't entered service yet? 

Finally, to answer this discussion from above, the (C)'s R160s will go back to ENY, and not Coney Island. The (J) needs extra service more than the (G)

1 minute ago, Coney Island Av said:

Why did the MTA originally project some R179's to go to the (M)? Why is it just the (A)(C)(J)(Z) that's getting them now? 

And I also have a question about 3010-3019 and 3050-3057. I know they are test trains, but 3058-3061 entered service already, and it's a test train. How come these two oddballs haven't entered service yet? 

Finally, to answer this discussion from above, the (C)'s R160s will go back to ENY, and not Coney Island. The (J) needs extra service more than the (G)

I think the "oddballs" haven't entered service because of what was said earlier in this post regarding many kinks and bugs that needed to be worked out on these sets. The problems with these sets were likely addressed to the builder so that the same mistakes are not made in the production cars so that they can be built properly and enter service quickly, while 207 St Yard makes the extensive repairs on the original sets. 

18 minutes ago, Coney Island Av said:

I'd be somewhat surprised if the C ends up getting any R179s. 

Yes, the R160s on the C are almost certainly going to return to the J, but that does not mean that the J is getting more added service than the G. 

2 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

I'd be somewhat surprised if the C ends up getting any R179s. 

Yes, the R160s on the C are almost certainly going to return to the J, but that does not mean that the J is getting more added service than the G. 

I wouldn't be surprised. The 5 car sets of r179's will most likely go to the A and/or C.

As for the r160s on the C, I have a feeling that they will go to the G, while the J and Z keeps most if not all of 8 cars sets of r179's.  Remember that there will be a surplus of trains within the next few months.