Which line has the most civilized riders?

JubaionBx12+SBS

JW72093 is back on NYCTF. He has been busy doing what high school seniors are supposed to do and now has some things to post to the transitfan community.

While New York City is a very diverse city with different types of people, I am sure riders on some lines behave better than others. In other words there is a line where loud riders, chickenhead couples making out and wannabe thugs is not a big deal. Being that subway rides are only enjoyable with civilized riders I would like to ask which subway line has the most well behaved group of riders? I need to ride this particular line more often.

Hmmm...., maybe not the (7). The high school students can be rowdy.

Loud yes, rowdy... not really, and only in larger groups in the afternoon at that -- morning trains tend to be regulars every day. Afternoon is when it gets crazy -- people will do anything to get on the train. Honestly sometimes it's worse than when I take the Lex, and I take both every day.

Every line has savages. What the hell do you expect on these lines? People passing grey poupon.

People look at the general population of a subway line and assume that subway line is filled with feces throwing gorillas with knives and guns. People don't realize that the mugging that happened on the (2) can easily happen on the (S)(7)(F)(G)(N)(Q) (:o ect..

From what I have seen over the years, (it doesn't matter which line they ride) there will be riders all the time that will act wild and those who behave themselves. So to answer your question, there are too many variables such as what time you ride the subway lines and the areas you ride them.

First of all, Im once again floored theres a thread about this. This site is starting to become more about Sociology and Contemporary Racial Issues than trains!!!

There are plenty of forums out there about Race and Civilization...if thats what you want to talk about.

All lines go through different parts of the city the (2)(3) goes from the wealthy rich Upper West Side....to the crime ridden areas of Brownsville and East NY. The (6) goes from dangerous parts of the Bronx to the wealthy preppy Upper East Side. All trains go through more than one borough. Most Boros have their good and bad areas. So there is no such thing as a line with "civilized" riders...anyone can get on any train if they want.

JW72093 is back on NYCTF. He has been busy doing what high school seniors are supposed to do and now has some things to post to the transitfan community.

While New York City is a very diverse city with different types of people, I am sure riders on some lines behave better than others. In other words there is a line where loud riders, chickenhead couples making out and wannabe thugs is not a big deal. Being that subway rides are only enjoyable with civilized riders I would like to ask which subway line has the most well behaved group of riders? I need to ride this particular line more often.

Nice use of the third person...There is no line that is civilized because not just one "group" of people ride a certain line.

It makes sense to say that each line could have some uncivilized riders but my recent observations suggests that my question has an answer. I have rode the (E) line several times and have yet to see any rider causing a nuisance for fellow passengers. Yet on the (2) I have seen couples making out blocking the door and teens arguing on crowded trains. I have noticed that the (L) and (N) lines also have very quiet rides. If every line is equal from a rider behavior standpoint explain how (2) line riders can act so differently from riders on other lines.

You probably ride the (2) at very busy or hectic times, I've seen my fair share of oddities happen on that train on a late night, other times everything it's usually normal, especially when running through Manhattan.

The (E) is relatively calm on a weekday, the rush-hour trains usually packed to the brim with LIRR riders/people transferring at Jamaica Center, there's usually no time for nonsense on the (E) on a rush hour unless it's the summertime or the weekend. Trust me when I say I saw a group of some of the "ghetto-est" folk on the (E) last summer on July 4 and one of them had the audacity to change his pants on the train!

Really?

I think the (R) has the most civilized riders. First of all, not that many people use it. Second, it passes through several affluent areas (Bay Ridge, Brooklyn Heights, SoHo). The only time riders are a bit rowdy is on the Queens Blvd stretch between Roosevelt and Continental.

Whenever I do take the 6 train around Grand Central or 23rd st, it's usually quite civilized. However, the further north you go, I would imagine it becomes less civilized. The furthest north I normally go is 86th street to check out the specialty stores and restaurants up around the Upper East Side and Yorkville, but when I get off and make the exodus like most folks do there, you can clearly see the big shift in the type of riders. An older lady I worked with years ago mentioned that she refused to take the 6 train and would instead opt for the express bus back to the Bronx because going through the South Bronx for her was a living hell. Chicken bones all over the place, loud roudy folks everywhere... :eek:

I'll pass on that experience. You could argue that the Grand Central Shuttle is the most civilized, but its only one stop. lol

Really?

I think the (R) has the most civilized riders. First of all, not that many people use it. Second, it passes through several affluent areas (Bay Ridge, Brooklyn Heights, SoHo). The only time riders are a bit rowdy is on the Queens Blvd stretch between Roosevelt and Continental.

From the affluent Bay Ridge it heads through the run down industrial Sunset Park... :eek:

Well, even though the ©'s southern terminal is a sketchy neighborhood (City Line), as you get more towards Manhattan it starts to get better, roughly after Kingston - Throop. But at Utica Avenue during the p.m. rush hours...you can just forget about it, as you have the B&G HS skells that infiltrate the station between 2 and 4....

The (R) is an okay line. The (F) and (G) are okay to me as well. Only a small section of the (G) line is "sketchy" (between Classon and Flushing Avenue), but the rest of the line the (G) runs through (Williamsburg, Greenpoint, Prospect Heights, Long Island City, Carroll gardens, Park Slope), the (G) is somewhat...gracious (lol).

Archived