M-9 Discussion

East New York

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Those things sure are beautiful :P

But 3 doors means less seating and A LOT of people travel with LIRR daily and some lines already have a lof of standing people, so to have even less seating, seems a terrible idea to me.

I think the manufacturer will be Bombardier again. They built the current M7's for the LIRR and the MTA and most passengers are loving them (the M7's).

More doors equals better movement of people in and out of the train, thus leading to less idling at the station.

Additionally, less seating and more standing room would increase capacity on any given train and reduce overcrowding.

A good seating arrangement would be one similar to Australia's suburban EMUs.

Queensland Rail Citytrain Interurban Multiple Unit (for commuting between Brisbane and Gold Coast).

DSC00555%20with%20tag.JPG

http://home.people.net.au/~jimmy88/Transport/IMU162/DSC00555%20with%20tag.JPG

imu110_241004.jpg

http://ufies.org/~aleith/transit/brisbane/imu110_241004.jpg

Edited by manrush

Good seating arrangement is good there now. LIRR is the only commuter railroad I know (besides SEPTA) to have 3+2 arrangement, especially compared to Europe where nothing is 3+2 on commuter railroads.

"Additionally, less seating and more standing room would increase capacity on any given train and reduce overcrowding."

If you're travelling a short distance, alright. But let's say you get in in Ronkonkoma in rush hour and you need to go to Penn. Rnkkm is crowded in rush hour and with less seats, you may not find a seat. So that means you would be standing the whole time. I bet you can't barely walk when you exit at Penn.

And that is only 1 branch, but there are several other crowded ones where you would have the same problem.

Good seating arrangement is good there now. LIRR is the only commuter railroad I know (besides SEPTA) to have 3+2 arrangement, especially compared to Europe where nothing is 3+2 on commuter railroads.

"Additionally, less seating and more standing room would increase capacity on any given train and reduce overcrowding."

If you're travelling a short distance, alright. But let's say you get in in Ronkonkoma in rush hour and you need to go to Penn. Rnkkm is crowded in rush hour and with less seats, you may not find a seat. So that means you would be standing the whole time. I bet you can't barely walk when you exit at Penn.

And that is only 1 branch, but there are several other crowded ones where you would have the same problem.

Actually, MBCR also has a 3+2 seating arrangement.

Capacity is just as important for longer distances. Express lines could use the extra space so that more people would be able to board, thus reducing the need for extra-long trains and increasing overall headway.

I was talking with a car designer for LIRR last night coming home on the M8's who's in the process of developing the M-9's (He also helped develop the M7's.) IIRC Correctly he said something about schematics have being sent to Kawasaki for the M9, so there you go. And as stated before, they will look like the M7/8

• 5 months later...
As long as they don't ride like the M7, I'm good.

That annoying noisy propulsion could be done away with, too. At least something from Siemens or even better, a quiet propulsion like they have on the M3s.

The M7 does ride horribly, never been on the M8 so I can't compare.

The propulsion is OK.

• 2 months later...

I think instead of the boring Red LEDs they have on M7s, they shoul have it so it can change colors depending on the rout it takes!

Ex. instead of reading Babylon, it could read Babylon!

They should also have comfy M3 seats instead of horrible rock M7 seats.

• 3 months later...

I hope they don't have those wide single side doors that the M7s and M8s have. Those damn things take forever to open, close and secure. What idiot at the MTA thought that was a good idea? I hope the M9s have double doors that meet in the middle of the doorway, like the M1/2/3/4/6 series had.

• 2 weeks later...
I think instead of the boring Red LEDs they have on M7s, they shoul have it so it can change colors depending on the rout it takes!

Ex. instead of reading Babylon, it could read Babylon!

They should also have comfy M3 seats instead of horrible rock M7 seats.

but it should also have head rests;)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just noticed there will also be an M9A order for the Metro-North.

It's going to be a small minor batch, it's not going to be as extensive as the M7A order, the LIRR order is smaller than the M7 order but larger than the M9A one. But both M9/9A orders will be noticeable in a larger scale if there is a design change.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised no one has posted this yet. I just found it and haven't gotten around to reading the documentation yet.

http://mta.info/lirr...rrentStatus.htm

http://mta.info/lirr...9/Documents.htm

It's going to be a small minor batch, it's not going to be as extensive as the M7A order, the LIRR order is smaller than the M7 order but larger than the M9A one. But both M9/9A orders will be noticeable in a larger scale if there is a design change.

According to the documentation from the MTA website, they are interested in procuring "676 M-9 and 160 M-9A" cars.

Edited by Fan Railer

I'm surprised no one has posted this yet. I just found it and haven't gotten around to reading the documentation yet.

http://mta.info/lirr...rrentStatus.htm

http://mta.info/lirr...9/Documents.htm

According to the documentation from the MTA website, they are interested in procuring "676 M-9 and 160 M-9A" cars.

Well, like I said, compared to the M-7/M-7A's... Standalone, it's pretty big!

The M7 does ride horribly, never been on the M8 so I can't compare.

The propulsion is OK.

The M8s don't ride that much better, imo. And the truck design is similar, so there's that constant noise that leads to the belief that something's loose down there. Hope they fix that with the M9s.