M-9 Discussion

East New York

No, the (MTA) is lying to you because earlier in the thread you and Truckie were convincing (!) me that the M9 will be for LIRR only and MNRR will only be an option.

Nobody's being misled...that is still correct.  As of now the M9 order is exclusively for the LIRR and if Metro-North were to get in on the fun it would only  be as options.

However, if MNCR did get some piece of the action, they would be getting the same exact car that the LIRR gets, just slightly different paint and logos.  They would not get a different variant like in orders past.

If the LIRR continued with their M9A procurement after the M9 order, it would be pretty much the same car, just procured slightly differently since they would be using federal funds that went in part to ESA, etc., etc.,

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone else find the LIRR's current color scheme ugly and boring? Black front with a yellow stripe. How creative... Makes me envious of the MNRR's blue with white stripes and especially the Red / Black.

I know it would never happen, but imagine if they used an anodized grey body (think like a dark chrome, but brushed stainless steel) with orange accents around the cab.

Edited by drumz0rz

Anyone else find the LIRR's current color scheme ugly and boring? Black front with a yellow stripe. How creative... Makes me envious of the MNRR's blue with white stripes and especially the Red / Black.

I know it would never happen, but imagine if they used an anodized grey body (think like a dark chrome, but brushed stainless steel) with orange accents around the cab.

Shoot, a yellow stripe similar to the red stripe on the M8s on the side of LIRR's M7s would be fine with me. That's why the ad-wrapped cars look so nice; cause the side scheme is so bland.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Minor M9 program update. These cars will replace the M3, and it is now confirmed they will be based on the M7, yet will be much more technologically advanced. The program is expected to remain on schedule with the first pilot cars arriving by the end of 2016. So unfortunately we are a couple years off, but this is the new news.

Minor M9 program update. These cars will replace the M3, and it is now confirmed they will be based on the M7, yet will be much more technologically advanced. The program is expected to remain on schedule with the first pilot cars arriving by the end of 2016. So unfortunately we are a couple years off, but this is the new news.

It looked like it from the rendering. Except it seems it's going to have the destination LED signs on the fronts like the M8s. I hope the interiors are a bit different from the M7s.

• 2 weeks later...

New info from the July CPOC meeting:
https://web.archive.org/web/20140801140126/http://web.mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/140728_1200_CPOC.pdf
My summary of the information:

As of July 2014, the MTA forcasts LIRR's need for the M9/M9A to be 416 cars (180 cars to replace the M3, and 236 cars for ESA service related increases), and MNCR's need for the M9 to be up to 188 cars.

The LIRR portion of the M9/M9A order is split as follows:

-92 base order cars (to be complete April 2018)

-88 option 1 order cars (to be complete November 2018)

-76 ESA option order cars (to be complete August 2020)

-160 cars as part of the M9A contract (to be complete October 2021).

14 pilot cars are to be delivered September 2016 for testing, with the production cars being delivered at a rate of 12 cars per month.

The MNCR balance of 188 cars is expected to begin delivery in December 2018 and be completed February 2020

Edited by Fan Railer

what will be some of the technological advances?

I don't see that much of a technical advance from the current M7's. Just sounds like alot a fluff. You don't want too much electrical and computer components on these cars as much as of the beating these cars take . It spells disaster , thats why its good to keep things a little simple.

I don't see that much of a technical advance from the current M7's. Just sounds like alot a fluff. You don't want too much electrical and computer components on these cars as much as of the beating these cars take . It spells disaster , thats why its good to keep things a little simple.

Agreed. The way I see it, it's probably going to be more of an M7 body profile with some features from the M8 and a slightly different seating configuration.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...