I don't understand this (7) service change...

Gorgor

the Queensboro Plz to Flushing portion of the (7) route is opertating local using both Manhattan-bound and Queens-bound tracks.

The Times Sq to Queensboro Plz portion is only using a single track in both directions. (a (7) shuttle basically)

the Queensboro Plz to Flushing portion of the (7) route is opertating local using both Manhattan-bound and Queens-bound tracks.

The Times Sq to Queensboro Plz portion is only using a single track in both directions. (a (7) shuttle basically)

Oh, single tracking for the Manhattan-Queens shuttle portion; that makes sense.

This (7) G.O. is madness. Some (N) trains were terminating at 34 Street-herald Square, basically an (N) shuttle.

The (N) I got on was so crowded I was squished to the door. It was very hot too.

Instead of getting off at Queensboro plz for the (7), I took the Q60 at 2 Avenue-60 Street.

The Unlucky (7). ;)

This (7) G.O. is madness. Some (N) trains were terminating at 34 Street-herald Square, basically an (N) shuttle.

The (N) I got on was so crowded I was squished to the door. It was very hot too.

Instead of getting off at Queensboro plz for the (7), I took the Q60 at 2 Avenue-60 Street.

The Unlucky (7). ;)

There were turning (N) trains at 34th so they can go back to Queens and take more of the (7) crowd from queens to manhattan...

Question then? So is it fair to say a train will run only every 30 mins or so as the trip from Queensboro Plaza to Times Square takes about 12 mins and only 1 train is shuttling back and forth. And assuming this is the case, will that single train be able to proceed at normal speed. I planned to travel from 23rdSt/Court Square/45th Rd to the Port Authority Bus Terminal on Monday. Ideally I would just take the E train and be there in 15 mins. But given that there will not be weekend E service at that station for years to come (a completely different topic) I figured the 7 to Times Square is an alternative. But if that option is out I guess I will just walk to Queensboro Plaza and take the N. It would be nice if the E diversion were canceled due to the 7 emergency work but that will never happen I guess.

Question then? So is it fair to say a train will run only every 30 mins or so as the trip from Queensboro Plaza to Times Square takes about 12 mins and only 1 train is shuttling back and forth. And assuming this is the case, will that single train be able to proceed at normal speed. I planned to travel from 23rdSt/Court Square/45th Rd to the Port Authority Bus Terminal on Monday. Ideally I would just take the E train and be there in 15 mins. But given that there will not be weekend E service at that station for years to come (a completely different topic) I figured the 7 to Times Square is an alternative. But if that option is out I guess I will just walk to Queensboro Plaza and take the N. It would be nice if the E diversion were canceled due to the 7 emergency work but that will never happen I guess.

If trains are single tracking you can't have more then one train...

Why wouldn't there be a train waiting Times Sq so that when one pulls in, it leaves immediately and the one that just pulled in waits for the next TSQ train to arrive on the other track and so on?

That is actually a good question.

I would have it set up if possible so one train is at Times Square and pulls out as soon as the other train is safely in the station and the signals can be adjusted properly.

Why wouldn't there be a train waiting Times Sq so that when one pulls in, it leaves immediately and the one that just pulled in waits for the next TSQ train to arrive on the other track and so on?

How would that be any better? It's still only one train single tracking.

Guest lance25

I guess it was a good thing the (Q) was basically a Brighton shuttle this weekend or terminating (N)s at 34 St-Herald Sq would be a disaster.

I guess it was a good thing the (Q) was basically a Brighton shuttle this weekend or terminating (N)s at 34 St-Herald Sq would be a disaster.

Not really, the (Q) would have most likely been extended to Queens for the weekend while the emergency work was performed and (N) service would have been normal....

That is actually a good question.

I would have it set up if possible so one train is at Times Square and pulls out as soon as the other train is safely in the station and the signals can be adjusted properly.

Cannot be done. There is no switch to do that. Unless you were single tracking the whole manhattan section. The only other switch in Manhattan is at 42st PABT. It would not work at all.

Question then? So is it fair to say a train will run only every 30 mins or so as the trip from Queensboro Plaza to Times Square takes about 12 mins and only 1 train is shuttling back and forth.

I was wondering that myself. I understand having to single-track through the river tube, but is there some reason why they can't use both tracks between TSQ and Grand Central?

Archived