SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Calvin said:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/22/us/man-fatally-shot-on-new-york-city-subway/index.html?fbclid=IwAR2JnFK5Eqx8x6770ryH84kzCEF8EqiuuCy1_FD6_-1JiD1RfjTvuzUBNH8

Shooting happened again on a (Q) train arriving at Canal St around 11:45 AM. Major delays on the (N)(Q)(R) lines early afternoon. 

I heard about this and it’s sad that people choose to take their anger or whatever it is out on other people. I can’t wait to move out of this crazy city in the future, NYC in my opinion is just on a decline.

Our political leaders don’t prioritize the people that live here at all and are just focused on making money and bringing in more tourist. They always have the money to build a new park, bike lanes that no one asked for and etc but when it comes to doing something for the people they scream we don’t have enough budget. I have no problem with them trying to get illegal guns off the streets but a criminal is always going to find a gun one way or the other. A lot of people out here are upset and mentally ill because a person in their right mind would not go out into public a release a whole bunch of rounds into other people. The real focus should be how do we help a chunk of our population who is angry, mentally ill and at risk of committing dangerous crimes. 

8 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I heard about this and it’s sad that people choose to take their anger or whatever it is out on other people. I can’t wait to move out of this crazy city in the future, NYC in my opinion is just on a decline.

Our political leaders don’t prioritize the people that live here at all and are just focused on making money and bringing in more tourist. They always have the money to build a new park, bike lanes that no one asked for and etc but when it comes to doing something for the people they scream we don’t have enough budget. I have no problem with them trying to get illegal guns off the streets but a criminal is always going to find a gun one way or the other. A lot of people out here are upset and mentally ill because a person in their right mind would not go out into public a release a whole bunch of rounds into other people. The real focus should be how do we help a chunk of our population who is angry, mentally ill and at risk of committing dangerous crimes. 

They aren't angry. They're just mentally ill or high on some drug, but most of the issues stem from the fact that many of the mental institutions have been shuttered, so these people are now roaming the streets at an increasing rate.

Just took the (SIR)for the first time in almost a year and those r44s just sound like the Amfleets when they’re breaking, with the loud squeaking noise when the train stops.

Also the loud squeaky noises when the train is on a curve. Ouch to my ears!

Edited by Lil 57

The (F) is awful in Brooklyn, and so are the buses.

Missed one Coney Island-bound train, the next one the came immediate after was to Kings Highway, and the following one was due 14 minutes later. It’s not even an isolated occurrence. I often board at 15 Street–Prospect Park around 6 PM and the wait is incredibly long for weekdays.

As for the buses… It took my bus two traffic light cycles to make 1 turn at an intersection. That wait was practically the headway between two buses. Both the MTA and DOT dropped the ball here with planning.

As soon as a R142 was on the (3) , a train operator was asked 30 different questions with cell phones pointed at him or her. Saturday was not a good day on the Eastern Pkwy Local especially that Barclays Center had lines in the station to the outside of the entrance. 

Edited by Calvin

2 hours ago, Calvin said:

As soon as a R142 was on the (3) , a train operator was asked 30 different questions with cell phones pointed at him or her. Saturday was not a good day on the Eastern Pkwy Local especially that Barclays Center had lines in the station to the outside of the entrance. 

Oh wow any videos of that? 

11 hours ago, Calvin said:

There's one at said location. The operator that was asked question was in comments to mutual friend. 

LOL, one of those railfans sound like an chihuahua barking.

Railfans can be strange creatures sometimes, remember one streaming like an lunatic over an (E) train rerouted over CPW.

11 hours ago, Calvin said:

There's one at said location. The operator that was asked question was in comments to mutual friend. 

For a while it sounded like I was at the zoo lol

15 hours ago, CenSin said:

Missed one Coney Island-bound train, the next one the came immediate after was to Kings Highway, and the following one was due 14 minutes later. It’s not even an isolated occurrence. I often board at 15 Street–Prospect Park around 6 PM and the wait is incredibly long for weekdays.

The B Div lines are rather unpredictable and inconsistent with headway on a good day. If you are travelling off peak 20 minutes waits for the subway is not unusual, which is ridiculous 

It's like the (R) train disease, spread to the entire division during COVID

Edited by Mtatransit

17 hours ago, CenSin said:

As for the buses… It took my bus two traffic light cycles to make 1 turn at an intersection. That wait was practically the headway between two buses. Both the MTA and DOT dropped the ball here with planning.

The (F) can be real bad in general. There have been plenty of times in the evening where I’d wait over 20 minutes for a Queens bound (F) at Lexington 63rd and then there would be a few trains bunched together. I know this would be a rather unpopular suggestion but perhaps (F) should end at Church Ave during off peak hours & the weekends have the (G) continue to Coney Island all other times. On top of having to merge with the (E)(G) and (M) I believe the length affects it reliability as well. But of course I wouldn’t do this change unless the (G) becomes full length. I know it becomes inconvenient to have to transfer at Church Ave but the (F) bunches up way more than the (E) and (R) from my experiences. I know the (R) has it moments too but most of the time when I use the (R) service isn’t too bad. 

On 5/24/2022 at 12:32 PM, trainfan22 said:

LOL, one of those railfans sound like an chihuahua barking.

Railfans can be strange creatures sometimes, remember one streaming like an lunatic over an (E) train rerouted over CPW.

They sure can, though whenever my train gets rerouted, I usually hear nothing but groaning and cussing. 

On 5/24/2022 at 1:07 AM, BreeddekalbL said:

Oh wow any videos of that? 

On 5/24/2022 at 1:23 AM, Calvin said:

That screaming.  You’d swear they were riding the Slingshot...

This evening at Rockaway Parkway some dude jumped down to the roadbed to take a leak. People are walking by like nothing's happening while this dude is on tracks relieving himself. He was there for a few minutes and once he was finished he climbed back onto the platform.

First time I seen someone jump onto the actual tracks to take a leak. There was no delay in service.

2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

This evening at Rockaway Parkway some dude jumped down to the roadbed to take a leak. People are walking by like nothing's happening while this dude is on tracks relieving himself. He was there for a few minutes and once he was finished he climbed back onto the platform.

First time I seen someone jump onto the actual tracks to take a leak. There was no delay in service.

a few minutes? damn

well if the subway wasn't already a toilet bowl... no way of denying it now i guess.

As stupid as this is, I'd actually be horrified if this was done at an elevated stop.

On 5/24/2022 at 1:23 AM, Calvin said:

Bro I wouldn't call it an actual video hence all that screaming is happening all at once. :skull:

I've caught it and flimed it at Franklin Avenue, Crown Heights and on Atlantic Avenue and I know how to keep my composure. That could be me when I'm at least around 12-13 years old.

If you're gonna flim something, Please at least chill yourself down unless you're a comedic railfanner who post content for the laughs and do transit content 

I tried getting some flim action at least saratoga, but it departed NB so fast I couldn't even reach Sutter Avenue for it lmfao. And as well of weekend gaps as well 

Happened to glance at the Sunday website of the Daily News. There’s an article about the old Rockaway Beach LIRR branch. The jist of the story is that reactivating the rail line is not gonna happen, period. Looking forward to hearing from you rail fans and your take. Carry on.

42 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Happened to glance at the Sunday website of the Daily News. There’s an article about the old Rockaway Beach LIRR branch. The jist of the story is that reactivating the rail line is not gonna happen, period. Looking forward to hearing from you rail fans and your take. Carry on.

Honestly, it's not. The area it runs thru is either reasonably close to the subway network or has pretty decent bus service. I can think of several more worthwhile subway/LIRR extentions than RRB. 

On 5/26/2022 at 9:01 PM, CenSin said:

What are some examples of times when express trains had to skip additional express stops to make up for lost time?

One example I can think of is when someone activated the emergency brake at 42 Street Grand Central on the (4) train one time. It bypassed 59 and 86 Streets before stopping at 125 Street.