SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like I said before, the (M) line can also use all of the newer R160A sets from ENY as well just like how the (J) and (Z) line does. And Canarsie-14th Street CBTC cars can run on the Queens Boulevard Line. So, within the coming days, I hope to expect a newer R160A cars with the Marc Jacobs ad-wrapped on car body numbers #8409-#8412 and #8453-#8456 to run in passenger service on the (J) and (Z) lines!

1 hour ago, Around the Horn said:

8376 is in service on the (M) to Middle Village as we speak…

I thought Canarsie CBTC cars couldn’t run on Queens Blvd? 

Like I said before, the (M) line can also use all of the newer R160A sets from ENY as well just like how the (J) and (Z) line does. And Canarsie-14th Street CBTC cars can run on the Queens Boulevard Line. So, within the coming days, I hope to expect a newer R160A cars with the Marc Jacobs ad-wrapped on car body numbers #8409-#8412 and #8453-#8456 to run in passenger service on the (J) and (Z) lines!

11 minutes ago, BreeddekalbL said:

Question how will they turn trains at 161 yankee on the (D) when the big project starts

theres a switch to/from the uptown exp track to they would have to skip 155 going downtown

Downtown (D) trains skip 155 St

Edited by nightmare402

1 hour ago, ejmanalo6168 said:

Like I said before, the (M) line can also use all of the newer R160A sets from ENY as well just like how the (J) and (Z) line does. And Canarsie-14th Street CBTC cars can run on the Queens Boulevard Line. So, within the coming days, I hope to expect a newer R160A cars with the Marc Jacobs ad-wrapped on car body numbers #8409-#8412 and #8453-#8456 to run in passenger service on the (J) and (Z) lines!

Those r160s were restricted to the (L) line up until this point. They must have figured a way to use them on other CBTC routes. This means they can use the R143s on the (M) as well since the those 64 R160s have the same cbtc as the 64 R160s.

2 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

8376 is in service on the (M) to Middle Village as we speak…

I thought Canarsie CBTC cars couldn’t run on Queens Blvd? 

They Must have finally figured a way to run them on other CBTC routes which makes sense. This now make the entire ENY R160 fleet more flexible. This could also mean the r143s can finally run on the (M) again. This also means that some R179s could go back to 207th for the (C) to push out the R46s to increase pitkin's R46 spare factor with an additional 3-4 R46s.

Edited by R32 3838

5 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

Those r160s were restricted to the (L) line up until this point. They must have figured a way to use them on other CBTC routes. This means they can use the R143s on the (M) as well since the those 64 R160s have the same cbtc as the 64 R160s.

They Must have finally figured a way to run them on other CBTC routes which makes sense. This now make the entire ENY R160 fleet more flexible. This could also mean the r143s can finally run on the (M) again. This also means that some R179s could go back to 207th for the (C) to push out the R46s to increase pitkin's R46 spare factor with an additional 3-4 R46s.

What i what to know is can (M) cars run on the (L) cause of this...

Saw this of FB; a bill to rename 149th Street-Grand Concourse to 149th Street-Hostos.

https://www.billtrack50.com/BillDetail/1442140

I am fine with this. Now I know at which of the two Grand Concourse stations Hostos is at.

There were already 7 stations with a college/university in the name before the two Medgar Evers additions in 2020. Hostos would be the 10th such station.

137th Street-City College of New York
116th Street-Columbia University
68th Street-Hunter College
8th Street-New York University
Bedford Park Boulevard-Lehman College
Flatbush Avenue-Brooklyn College
Franklin Avenue-Medgar Evers College
Jay Street-MetroTech
President Street-Medgar Evers College

23 minutes ago, biGC323232 said:

What i what to know is can (M) cars run on the (L) cause of this...

The (M) line shares the same equipment models with the (L) line of those 64 newer R160A sets on car body numbers #8313-#8376, which goes for the same, exact reason for both the  (J) and (Z) lines since those sets are out of ENY. But if you’re talking about the newer R160A sets on car body numbers #8377-#8652 and #9943-#9974 that are currently being used on the (J)(M) and (Z) lines, then those sets cannot run on the (L) line since those sets are not fully converted into CBTC and is not ATO operated just yet.

The (2)(5) with the (4) had a change in station names back then: Franklin Av, and President St added Medgar Evers College. 149 St-Grand Concourse will soon be "149th Street- Hostos". 

https://www.billtrack50.com/BillDetail/1442140?fbclid=IwAR2M37OJim9X7TQAZyJWZksgnmGJIA7aM88DJgfFFPIGZh0mbjKXNXTK650&fs=e&s=cl

The (2)(5) also had another station change to the program of Newkirk Av to Newkirk Av-Little Haiti. 

Edited by Calvin
Another station update on the R142/As

8 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

Technically yes the (M) sounds like it can use R143s in a pinch, but remember the strip map issue. It will display only the (L) and (J) routes, so tourists will need to check their maps. As for moving R179s to 207 St, not sure if that would be smart since the spare factor at ENY is actually tight (at least for the (J))

on paper, the (L) has 34 trainsets available for service and 24 are needed for daily service, leaving a spare factor of 10 trains. The (M) train needs a spare factor of 7 trains (assuming it follows the same pattern as the (E)(F) and (R) each having a spare factor of 7 trains for CBTC), so it would need 192 R160As (24 trains) to make service, leaving 372-192-64 = 60 R160A cars left for the (J). ENY has 96 R179s, leaving 12 trains of R179s for the (J) plus 8 R160A trains (assuming the (L) or (M) give up a 4-car set to have the (J) with 64 R160As all to itself). This allows the (J) to make service but the spare factor for the (J) is the R143s and R160As that the (L) and (M) use. This means that if let’s say the (J) needs a spare factor of 5 trainsets (40 cars), the (M) would need to give up one R160 train and the (L) would need to give up four trainsets, leaving the (L) and (M) only with a spare factor of 5.5-6 trains, and the (J) with a spare factor of 5 trains, which is pretty tight especially for lines with CBTC territory.

3 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

Technically yes the (M) sounds like it can use R143s in a pinch, but remember the strip map issue. It will display only the (L) and (J) routes, so tourists will need to check their maps. As for moving R179s to 207 St, not sure if that would be smart since the spare factor at ENY is actually tight (at least for the (J))

on paper, the (L) has 34 trainsets available for service and 24 are needed for daily service, leaving a spare factor of 10 trains. The (M) train needs a spare factor of 7 trains (assuming it follows the same pattern as the (E)(F) and (R) each having a spare factor of 7 trains for CBTC), so it would need 192 R160As (24 trains) to make service, leaving 372-192-64 = 60 R160A cars left for the (J). ENY has 96 R179s, leaving 12 trains of R179s for the (J) plus 8 R160A trains (assuming the (L) or (M) give up a 4-car set to have the (J) with 64 R160As all to itself). This allows the (J) to make service but the spare factor for the (J) is the R143s and R160As that the (L) and (M) use. This means that if let’s say the (J) needs a spare factor of 5 trainsets (40 cars), the (M) would need to give up one R160 train and the (L) would need to give up four trainsets, leaving the (L) and (M) only with a spare factor of 5.5-6 trains, and the (J) with a spare factor of 5 trains, which is pretty tight especially for lines with CBTC territory.

Since now all of those R160s can run on the (M), The Spare factor for the (J)(Z) wouldn't be reduced, The (J)(Z) can use just about anything that isn't used on the (L)(M) lines right now. So They can reduce the spares slightly. Before the (M) had a dedicated R160 fleet with a decent spare factor. The (J)(Z) had its own group of R160s with the R179s and the R143 spares to go along with it. Now that isn't the case since the (J)(M)(Z) can now use all of the R160A-1 fleet with the (L) using 8313-8376 only (when they aren't used on the other lines). So they can slightly decrease the spare factor by 3-4  sets (24-32 cars). 

14 hours ago, Prospect said:

It would be useful if the MTA added "Bronx Zoo" to either the West Farms Square–East Tremont Avenue or East 180th Street Station names so people unfamiliar with The Bronx would know where it's located.

Ask the MTA to pull a Medgar Evers College on the Bronx Zoo. It spans 3 subway stations, according to the website: West Farms Square–East Tremont Avenue, East 180 Street, or Pelham Parkway.

Earlier I had "America's Got Talent" on in the background when I was doing something else and they had showtime dancers from the NY Subway on there :lol:

I have heard some of them showtime dancers in real life say before they do their routine "you can find me on America's got talent" but I've heard multiple different ST dancers say that, I thought they was lying to get ppl attention but it turns out its true for at least some of them lol

Question about buying attire from Transit Museum. I need a new hat / cap and was thinking about getting one with a subway route logo on it. On the museum website the caps are shown with the logo directly in the middle when looking at the cap. I liked it.

https://www.nytransitmuseumstore.com/hatbb-cap-logo-1.html

But when I visited the small transit museum at Grand Central terminal, the caps there had the logo moved a little to the side and the letters TM in the corner. it looked a little weird in my opinion. Anyone know if the caps on the website have the logo in the middle as pictured or a little to the side like the ones I saw at GCT? 

Thanks

On 7/1/2022 at 8:16 PM, Calvin said:

The (2)(5) with the (4) had a change in station names back then: Franklin Av, and President St added Medgar Evers College. 149 St-Grand Concourse will soon be "149th Street- Hostos". 

https://www.billtrack50.com/BillDetail/1442140?fbclid=IwAR2M37OJim9X7TQAZyJWZksgnmGJIA7aM88DJgfFFPIGZh0mbjKXNXTK650&fs=e&s=cl

The (2)(5) also had another station change to the program of Newkirk Av to Newkirk Av-Little Haiti. 

Lord knows the number of issues our city is dealing with yet the Assembly stays wasting their time renaming subway stations in honor of irrelevant colleges

19 minutes ago, YankeesPwnMets said:

Lord knows the number of issues our city is dealing with yet the Assembly stays wasting their time renaming subway stations in honor of irrelevant colleges

What's so irrelevant about this college? Besides, do you guys even take a look at all the bills? I doubt you or anyone here takes the time to see what bills are being proposed. There dozens of them a day. A bill like this is actually pretty routine.

On 7/7/2022 at 9:35 PM, GojiMet86 said:

What's so irrelevant about this college? Besides, do you guys even take a look at all the bills? I doubt you or anyone here takes the time to see what bills are being proposed. There dozens of them a day. A bill like this is actually pretty routine.

I just don't see how a College functions as a better name for a subway station. 149 St - Grand Concourse makes sense because the station is on.. 149 St and Grand Concourse. Hostos isn't a landmark, doesn't tell you where you are and it's not really an attraction or popular destination. It's not like City College or Columbia both of which are big campus' that are known in NYC. Hostos, in my opinion, isn't a college that warrants renaming a station after it. If it is, then where does the renaming/adding on names end? Chambers St - BMCC? DeKalb Av - LIU? Van Cortlandt Park - Manhattan College?  

1 hour ago, Theli11 said:

I just don't see how a College functions as a better name for a subway station. 149 St - Grand Concourse makes sense because the station is on.. 149 St and Grand Concourse. Hostos isn't a landmark, doesn't tell you where you are and it's not really an attraction or popular destination. It's not like City College or Columbia both of which are big campus' that are known in NYC. Hostos, in my opinion, isn't a college that warrants renaming a station after it. If it is, then where does the renaming/adding on names end? Chambers St - BMCC? DeKalb Av - LIU? Van Cortlandt Park - Manhattan College?  

So, basically, any college that isn't well-known doesn't deserve addition in navigation within the subway system is what you said and mean. What you said actually contradicts your sentiment that including a college/university in a station name doesn't clearly define where you are by including that tidbit about City College and Columbia University... This move on the MTA's part, (with adding The Bronx Zoo to the list if they do) could possibly help stimulate some activity and change in The Bronx.