SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Ok this has happened to me a few times now where the (R) train stops in the Montague tunnel going into Manhattan, with the conductor claiming something along the lines of "We're waiting for a (W) train to leave at Whitehall Street". However, (W) trains always use the middle track to terminate and that shouldn't impede on an (R) train's ability to enter the station. Anyone know why this occurs? Kind of annoying.

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ said:

Ok this has happened to me a few times now where the (R) train stops in the Montague tunnel going into Manhattan, with the conductor claiming something along the lines of "We're waiting for a (W) train to leave at Whitehall Street". However, (W) trains always use the middle track to terminate and that shouldn't impede on an (R) train's ability to enter the station. Anyone know why this occurs? Kind of annoying.

There is probably another (R) train in the way that is already in the station waiting for that (W) to leave as well.

47 minutes ago, Vulturious said:

There is probably another (R) train in the way that is already in the station waiting for that (W) to leave as well.

When the (W) gets the lineup to leave Whitehall St, they turn all the signals on the (R) track red so an (R) train won’t barrel into the station and potentially overrun. This also happens at Essex St (or at least used to) when the (J)(M) trains pull into the station and don’t allow the other train to pull in. 

other places this happens I’ve seen is at 57 St-7 Av northbound if a train needs to switch from the express track to the 60 St tunnel track north of the station. The uptown train coming in on the local track is held outside 57 St. If it weren’t for the timer entering 34 St Herald Square northbound we’d see the same thing happening there with the uptown locals whenever an (N) train crosses over 

Super annoying how the (7) train at Queensboro Plaza couldnt wait 10 seconds for the incoming (N) to open its doors. The (7) pulled away with literally less than 10 people in the train among the 11 cars right as the (N) was opening its doors, leaving hundreds waiting for the next (7) (which although was 8 minutes away on schedule), this wait allowed two more (N) trains to dump more passengers on the already jam-packed (7). I can only imagine how many other times this happened over the course of this GO - evenly scheduled (7) trains yet the passenger loads with WIDE variations (some trains carrying air followed by others with passengers jammed butt to gut)

Edited by darkstar8983

3 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

When the (W) gets the lineup to leave Whitehall St, they turn all the signals on the (R) track red so an (R) train won’t barrel into the station and potentially overrun. This also happens at Essex St (or at least used to) when the (J)(M) trains pull into the station and don’t allow the other train to pull in. 

other places this happens I’ve seen is at 57 St-7 Av northbound if a train needs to switch from the express track to the 60 St tunnel track north of the station. The uptown train coming in on the local track is held outside 57 St. If it weren’t for the timer entering 34 St Herald Square northbound we’d see the same thing happening there with the uptown locals whenever an (N) train crosses over 

I seem to remember northbound (F) trains being delayed by a (V) train leaving 2nd Avenue. Probably for the same reasons and procedures used at Whitehall done with the (R) when a (W) leaves for Astoria. 

18 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

Super annoying how the (7) train at Queensboro Plaza couldnt wait 10 seconds for the incoming (N) to open its doors. The (7) pulled away with literally less than 10 people in the train among the 11 cars right as the (N) was opening its doors, leaving hundreds waiting for the next (7) (which although was 8 minutes away on schedule), this wait allowed two more (N) trains to dump more passengers on the already jam-packed (7). I can only imagine how many other times this happened over the course of this GO - evenly scheduled (7) trains yet the passenger loads with WIDE variations (some trains carrying air followed by others with passengers jammed butt to gut)

I don't know how prevalent that issue has been so far, but what I do know is that the reverse is quite a issue:(7) trains dumping along with the atrocious (N) service. The (W) running every 20 minutes barely helps matters, since they're usually timed right around an (N) train, usually after. I had the pleasure of experiencing that yesterday since when I got off, the (N) was 12 minutes away (and the (W) was 16 minutes away). 

What's worse, is that the Astoria-bound (W) trains are timed to depart Herald Square just before the Astoria-bound (N). However, because the (W) is departing from the SB platform, virtually everyone takes the (N) there, and since it takes time switching over to Times Square, the (N) either beats the (W) or arrives at the same time. And then because the (W) switches to the local track before 57 Street instead of after, it crawls north of 49th Street as the (N) gets in front of it. Poorly timed, and I bet it's done like that to save up from running an extra trainset that they otherwise would have to provide to not bunch. 

18 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

I don't know how prevalent that issue has been so far, but what I do know is that the reverse is quite a issue:(7) trains dumping along with the atrocious (N) service. The (W) running every 20 minutes barely helps matters, since they're usually timed right around an (N) train, usually after. I had the pleasure of experiencing that yesterday since when I got off, the (N) was 12 minutes away (and the (W) was 16 minutes away). 

What's worse, is that the Astoria-bound (W) trains are timed to depart Herald Square just before the Astoria-bound (N). However, because the (W) is departing from the SB platform, virtually everyone takes the (N) there, and since it takes time switching over to Times Square, the (N) either beats the (W) or arrives at the same time. And then because the (W) switches to the local track before 57 Street instead of after, it crawls north of 49th Street as the (N) gets in front of it. Poorly timed, and I bet it's done like that to save up from running an extra trainset that they otherwise would have to provide to not bunch. 

That is what I deal with when I come back from work. Two weeks ago there was a very bad night where I waited 20 minutes for any Astoria train, while seeing about seven (7) trains pass by. I've often missed both trains, then I have to wait another 8 minutes for the next batch of trains, the first which is usually stuffed.

What also sucks is the upper level only has one countdown clock dedicated for the Astoria lines, and it is right around the north end of the northbound 4th car position (a 75-footer). However, there are about 4-5 for the (7). Anyone who wants to check the time has to walk to find the lone Astoria countdown.

1 hour ago, GojiMet86 said:

That is what I deal with when I come back from work. Two weeks ago there was a very bad night where I waited 20 minutes for any Astoria train, while seeing about seven (7) trains pass by. I've often missed both trains, then I have to wait another 8 minutes for the next batch of trains, the first which is usually stuffed.

What also sucks is the upper level only has one countdown clock dedicated for the Astoria lines, and it is right around the north end of the northbound 4th car position (a 75-footer). However, there are about 4-5 for the (7). Anyone who wants to check the time has to walk to find the lone Astoria countdown.

The work in the 4th ave area is one of the main reason why (N) service is garbage. The (R) is just as bad and when you have (R) trains running express in one direction in queens, It's even worse. Yesterday there was a 30 min wait for the (R) train after one left, I said screw it and took the LIRR to grand central from forest hills. Things like this makes me miss living in Jamaica, I might even move back or live close to it.

As for the (7) train, It was to be expected for outages between February and early April since there is no baseball and etc. I just wish they did a better job trying to keep the service like the (E)(F)(N)(R) as decent as possible when they do these outages.

39 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

The work in the 4th ave area is one of the main reason why (N) service is garbage. The (R) is just as bad and when you have (R) trains running express in one direction in queens, It's even worse. Yesterday there was a 30 min wait for the (R) train after one left, I said screw it and took the LIRR to grand central from forest hills. Things like this makes me miss living in Jamaica, I might even move back or live close to it.

As for the (7) train, It was to be expected for outages between February and early April since there is no baseball and etc. I just wish they did a better job trying to keep the service like the (E)(F)(N)(R) as decent as possible when they do these outages.

That right there is the exact reason I stopped taking the subway all together.

Yesterday, I wanted to get to Woodside from Mount Vernon. The (7) isn't running in Manhattan, the (4) and (5) have issues of their own, the (N) is horribly spaced out and the (W) is a band-aid with 20 minute service.

I get to Grand Central and I have two options, either wait 27 minutes for the next LIRR train to Woodside or take the (4) to the (N) to the (7) which would take longer and get me there in the same time. You best believe I took the LIRR instead of dealing with that nonsense.

3 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Yep this same thing happened to me a while back, but it was later at night so the (N) train that eventually came wasn't quite as crowded.

What also sucks is Queensboro Plaza is basically an outdoor station and it's super cold out which makes this extra cruel. I'm surprised there hasn't been a case of someone getting hypothermia waiting for the subway.

5 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

This is such a lousy setup? Whoever approved this should be fired. At least they’re not also running the downtown (Q) express. Because that would make this even worse.

5 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

That right there is the exact reason I stopped taking the subway all together.

Yesterday, I wanted to get to Woodside from Mount Vernon. The (7) isn't running in Manhattan, the (4) and (5) have issues of their own, the (N) is horribly spaced out and the (W) is a band-aid with 20 minute service.

I get to Grand Central and I have two options, either wait 27 minutes for the next LIRR train to Woodside or take the (4) to the (N) to the (7) which would take longer and get me there in the same time. You best believe I took the LIRR instead of dealing with that nonsense.

What about using the (E) or (F) to Jackson Heights and backtrack with a (7) 2 stops

On 2/4/2023 at 6:16 PM, darkstar8983 said:

Those be the worst conductors but don’t worry eventually they get caught up. 😏

3 minutes ago, JustTheSIR said:

What about using the (E) or (F) to Jackson Heights and backtrack with a (7) 2 stops

So I would have to take the (S) to Times Square, walk an extra 6 minutes to the 8th Ave portion of the station, take the (E) to Roosevelt Ave, then take the (7) backwards? That is literally more work.

19 hours ago, JustTheSIR said:

Try taking the Queens Blvd Line on the weekend and get back to me. If you think the (N) is bad (which it is), the (E) and (F) (and (R) ) will make it look like London Underground.

On 2/5/2023 at 2:49 PM, R32 3838 said:

The entire B Div except for (L) and maybe(M)(J) (they run infrequently, but at least they are consistent) runs like garbage especially off peak hours. Between endless construction work, crew shortages which led to 30 minute waits, bunching in service due to construction work, leading to another 20-30 minute wait, service running slow, service running local and slow, it is non-stop.

On weekday the trains are usually fine, but on evening and weekend, complete crap service. 

I sometimes wished they just shut down half of the QBL at Roosevelt Avenue at one time for like 6 month or so, do all the repairs at once, and shut the other half when that is done. It is extremely disruptive I know, but I am sick and tired that (MTA) assumes nobody needs to get anywhere in a reasonable amount of time on the weekends and evenings. These weekend construction has been going on since like what early 2000?

On 2/5/2023 at 1:21 PM, GojiMet86 said:

The (7) and (L) are probably the only trains in the entire system that are competitive internationally. They run frequent, semi-reliable service and have very good off peak service.

8 minutes is a service cut for the (7) 

Compared to the (E)(F)(R) this is great service. All the QBL services seem to love running in bunches, so you will have a (F) in 1 min, a (E) in 3 min and a (R) in 5 minutes and then no trains for another 15 minutes

Edited by Mtatransit

51 minutes ago, Mtatransit said:

Try taking the Queens Blvd Line on the weekend and get back to me. If you think the (N) is bad (which it is), the (E) and (F) (and (R) ) will make it look like London Underground.

I do take QBL every weekend and the 12 minute headways on the (R) are ridiculous. <V> as a weekend service when

Edited by JustTheSIR
Emojis

40 minutes ago, JustTheSIR said:

I do take QBL every weekend and the 12 minute headways on the (R) are ridiculous. <V> as a weekend service when

12 minutes IF Broadway isn’t messed up. That 12 minutes can easily become 20.

If they refuse to run the (G) on weekends the least they can do is have the (E) run local.

3 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

The entire B Div except for (L) and maybe(M)(J) (they run infrequently, but at least they are consistent) runs like garbage especially off peak hours. Between endless construction work, crew shortages which led to 30 minute waits, bunching in service due to construction work, leading to another 20-30 minute wait, service running slow, service running local and slow, it is non-stop.

On weekday the trains are usually fine, but on evening and weekend, complete crap service. 

I sometimes wished they just shut down half of the QBL at Roosevelt Avenue at one time for like 6 month or so, do all the repairs at once, and shut the other half when that is done. It is extremely disruptive I know, but I am sick and tired that (MTA) assumes nobody needs to get anywhere in a reasonable amount of time on the weekends and evenings. These weekend construction has been going on since like what early 2000?

The (7) and (L) are probably the only trains in the entire system that are competitive internationally. They run frequent, semi-reliable service and have very good off peak service.

Compared to the (E)(F)(R) this is great service. All the QBL services seem to love running in bunches, so you will have a (F) in 1 min, a (E) in 3 min and a (R) in 5 minutes and then no trains for another 15 minutes

It almost seems like the above and many of the similar complaints are making the case for deinterlining, even for weekends and even for GOs, to the extent possible.

(7) and (L) have good service. They are reliable.  They are consistent.  The main reason that is the case is beause there are no other services that interfere with them.

From my experience with non-peak hours and weekends, these are my thoughts:

The A division tends to be the best from the standpoint the trains run pretty frequently, and the (1), (6), and (7) are all independent lines, but the 2/3/4/5 usually end up being fine as there's not tons of merging and they run frequently enough anyways. Main downside is the smaller cars can just fill up faster.  

The IND lines are generally ok, the the MTA taking both the B and M off 6th avenue can be annoying. The IND tends to have a relatively "overbuilt" core between 6th and 8th Av so the branches tend to get decent service considering their ridership. The exception might be Queens Blvd which is particularly busy yet on weekends the MTA doesn't treat it seriously enough.

The BMT outside of L and Broadway in Manhattan is awful. The BMT tends to be more branch heavy and has a lot of low-ridership branches that have tons of stops. This means you get a bunch of services running every 8-15 minutes that aren't well correlated with each other. I find it's rare for any of the BMT (even the (L)) to be that crowded during the weekends except for when there's construction. And the BMT tends to be underbuilt in a lot of places so any construction can cause serious mayham.

9 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

For the most part I’ve found the (7) to be much better and way more reliable than the QBL especially when commuting on the weekends and nights. There has been plenty of times where I would get screwed during the late evening times because there would be construction happening along Queens Blvd and it would take an hour or more just to get from whichever Lexington Ave station either on the (E)(F) and or (R) to Forest Hills for my bus connection which I would almost always miss by a few minutes and then be forced to wait over 20 minutes for the next bus. 
Nowadays if I’m leaving the city late after 11pm I try to catch the (7) or the LIRR because I can’t be bothered wasting a over an hour on a subway trip that would take half the time to complete any other time of the day. 

People say the (N) and (R) are bad which I’m not disagreeing with but holy smokes sometimes I think the (F) the takes the crown. The (F) at times runs like pure dog crap and I’ve experienced countless times back when I was college traveling during the evening time back to Queens and there would be a 25-30 minute gap in service to then have sometimes 4 (F) trains bunched one after the next. This wasn’t something that would happen once in a while either. I would see happen so often that I would just take the (R) or (7) back even though they would run local.