SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

Well, it still runs four times a day, I would argue that qualifies…

Do you think it will ever become an actual viable service and not just a few random trains here and there? Currently gives me vibes of (W) train in Brooklyn; technically exists but isn't a service anyone particularly counts on for their commute because it's so rare.

I wonder why there is no express service on the West end line, or at least on subway lines that have three tracks, what’s the point of having a middle track, I know some are only used for storage, but there is a few middle tracks that can have a purpose 

Edited by Chris89292

13 hours ago, Chris89292 said:

I wonder why there is no express service on the West end line, or at least on subway lines that have three tracks, what’s the point of having a middle track, I know some are only used for storage, but there is a few middle tracks that can have a purpose 

I wondered that for years...lol...All u gonna hear is that some  trains are gonna  carry air trains are gonna skip stations with high ridership etc etc etc...

On 4/25/2023 at 9:09 PM, Chris89292 said:

I think part of the reason might be the (D) doesn't come frequently enough. Say you make every other (D) a West End express, that means you could have like 14 minute headways at the local stations bypassed, which the MTA would generally want to avoid. At least in the Bronx when the (D) runs express, you have the (B) to handle the stations it skips at like 8 minute headways.

21 minutes ago, GojiMet86 said:

The MTA will be ending the real-time service alert Twitter because Twitter is asking $50,000 month for the API.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-04-27/new-york-mta-ends-twitter-service-alerts-after-musk-raises-price

This ain't that much of a loss nor is it even one to begin with. I normally just stick to looking at the MTA's website for service changes so this literally doesn't affect me whatsoever. 

On 4/25/2023 at 9:09 PM, Chris89292 said:

Lines closer to the city don’t have capacity to support additional services in the outer boroughs.

Fu0P2reWIAEIIa1.png

Apparently the pilot map has been updated. I def like this version better compared to the old one; geometry was made even simpler, beaches are displayed, the LGA link is clearer, the colors aren't whitewashed, and rush-hour service is clearer. I also like how the letter/number identity for a line is displayed in each stop bubble to make it very clear what stops.

My remaining criticisms:

-Ik this is primarily meant to be a subway map, but Grand Central and Penn Station should get more than tiny little dots.

-PATH should be denoted by something different than Metro North/LIRR/NJ Transit imo.

-Manhattan between 63rd and 125th St seems particularly squished. Ik this isn't meant to be geographically accurate, but aestetically it's not helpful.

-A few more places where geometry can/should be simplified, for example, showing the bends on the (L) between Lorimer and Jefferson St seems unnecessary if the goal is for the map to be as straightforward as possible even at the expense of geography. Another example could be the (4) should just continue straight up from Lexington Av to Jerome Av like on the original map.

-I'm not a fan of when the stop bubbles overlap 2 lines. For instance, at Myrtle-Wycoff Avenues, the (M) bubble is on top of the intersection of the (L) and (M) train lines, but it'd be more consistent to just have both (L) and (M) offset from the other line for instance.

-Based on the parks they choose to include, Sunset Park should also be included

-East Sidew Access tunnel being displayed so far North makes me cringe, though that might be just a me problem and doesn't really matter practically to commuters. Just have it run directly parallel to the (F) going into Queens.

(Original map for reference: map)

About the (L) train, I see on the assignment sheet that they use 24 trains total. Although, the total amount of R143s were at 212 = 26 8-car trains with a 4 car spare. Were the extra R160s, 8313-8376 meant to be assigned for the Canarsie Line due to CBTC in increased ridership or to avoid shortage for the line? 

Edited by Calvin

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

About the (L) train, I see on the assignment sheet that they use 24 trains total. Although, the total amount of R143s were at 212 = 26 8-car trains with a 4 car spare. Were the extra R160s, 8313-8376 meant to be assigned for the Canarsie Line due to CBTC in increased ridership or to avoid shortage for the line? 

Both. The pre CBTC (L) train only used 18 trains (144 cars), so thats why 212 R143s were ordered

Friday, May 14th will be the day the <F> Express service up and running on the Culver Express tracks. However, after that day, on the weekday rush, the 2 AM trains, 7:07 and 7:27 AM departures from Coney Island and PM trippers, 4:27 and 4:57 PM departures from Jamaica-179 St will be regular local service adding extra run time to their schedule.  It's up to the day after Independence Day. 

5 hours ago, Calvin said:

Friday, May 14th will be the day the <F> Express service up and running on the Culver Express tracks. However, after that day, on the weekday rush, the 2 AM trains, 7:07 and 7:27 AM departures from Coney Island and PM trippers, 4:27 and 4:57 PM departures from Jamaica-179 St will be regular local service adding extra run time to their schedule.  It's up to the day after Independence Day. 

That would be May 12th.

6 hours ago, Calvin said:

Where do you see this at?

4 hours ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

Its good to see some Pitkin R46 cars are getting LED lights on them. Sets 6070-6073 and 6081-6084 now have them.

Spotted them on the (C) today I was in the car ahead of it. Not sure why they're doing it since they'll all be gone in 2 or so years but I appreciate it. I guess it's a cheap upgrade or the lights broke.

Edited by Reptile