SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, randomnewyorker23 said:

what there really should be is an announcement encouraging people not to conquest (i.e. stealing rollsigns, pulling emergency brakes etc.)

Speaking of, whatever happened to the original conquestors from a few years ago? Did they get arrested and punished?

3 hours ago, randomnewyorker23 said:

what there really should be is an announcement encouraging people not to conquest (i.e. stealing rollsigns, pulling emergency brakes etc.)

Consquestors are a very small, small portion of the subway ridership. Recording such announcements would be an waste.

99 percent of the subway riders don't even know what consquestors are. Most don't even know what railfans are let alone the subset of fans which vandalizes the trains :lol:

I wonder what’s happening on the Manhattan Bridge Broadway Side. Every weekend for months now, trains are being rerouted via lower manhattan, yet nothing being done on the north side of the bridge. Maybe tracks are being replaced, or could this be a sign that trains may need to be rerouted again on a larger scale

5 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

I wonder what’s happening on the Manhattan Bridge Broadway Side. Every weekend for months now, trains are being rerouted via lower manhattan, yet nothing being done on the north side of the bridge. Maybe tracks are being replaced, or could this be a sign that trains may need to be rerouted again on a larger scale

According to Planned Service Changes :

“What's happening?

Track maintenance”

6 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

We might get (N) via Montague and (Qorange) back. Plus there are switches to still keep the (Qorange) running to 96.

Edited by randomnewyorker23

8 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

The problem that caused the original Manhattan Bridge repairs (trains running on the outside of the bridge instead of the middle) was never changed but I don't think its another situation like that

40 minutes ago, randomnewyorker23 said:

since not a lot of people know about conquesting, there should be at least a large amount of people who know about subway surfing, there is a news article every other month now about a teen dying from subway surfing

Why not build detectors on each subway car, so when anyone open the emergency doors, the train will halt, and the conductor or TO will investigate the situation, that’ll put fear in those kids 

2 hours ago, Chris89292 said:

Why not build detectors on each subway car, so when anyone open the emergency doors, the train will halt, and the conductor or TO will investigate the situation, that’ll put fear in those kids 

Because a lot of passengers walk in between cars? Because it delays not just the train, but others behind it? Because it's both a stupid idea and hurts in both the short and long run? It's not like putting in the tech would be in anyway easy, especially with how much tech would need to be installed just for this on all B end doors. However that leads me to another question, what about those that are surfing from the back? Let me guess, pressure sensitive pads?

Even if, and that's a really big if, they end up implementing this on one of the trains, those kids already don't fear shit. They are surfing on top, beside, or on the back of trains. They already don't care whether they're being filmed half the time so why would they care after? 

4 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

Someone had the 1990 Christopher Walken movie “King of New York” on. Climax of the movie takes place on a 7 train signed up as Main to 34th street (admittedly singed for Penn station)…

feels like they accidentally predicted the 7 west side extension 

Wasn’t the extension planned for a while?

7 hours ago, Vulturious said:

Because a lot of passengers walk in between cars? Because it delays not just the train, but others behind it? Because it's both a stupid idea and hurts in both the short and long run? It's not like putting in the tech would be in anyway easy, especially with how much tech would need to be installed just for this on all B end doors. However that leads me to another question, what about those that are surfing from the back? Let me guess, pressure sensitive pads?

Even if, and that's a really big if, they end up implementing this on one of the trains, those kids already don't fear shit. They are surfing on top, beside, or on the back of trains. They already don't care whether they're being filmed half the time so why would they care after? 

There is no reason to walk between cars when the train is in motion

Edited by Chris89292

1 hour ago, Chris89292 said:

You'd be stopping the train for so many reasons. People wanting to change cars to be closer to the staircase, people wanting to move away from something inside the cars (like a unhygienic person or someone making a disturbance), people wanting to go to another car with more space on it, and list goes on and on. Eventually they're gonna stop caring about the detections because honestly, it could be anything. Hell it could be a pigeon setting it off, who knows? 

2 hours ago, Chris89292 said:

In an actual emergency, how the hell are they supposed to handle the emergency if you propose they activate the emergency brakes in the middle of the tunnel?? There are TWO crew members on board, neither of which are trained as first responders. You want them to get out of their cab and walk all the way to the door that was opened to """investigate""", which by then you would have no clue who opened the door anyway? Case in point: the (N) train shooting a while back. You really think that if it was an NTT, the brakes should be activated in the tunnel if someone tried to escape to the next car? Is that really the best way to handle things?

Edited by MTA Dude

The portion of the <7> is reduced as to Monday, June 26th, 2023 up to January 2024, there will be express peak service between Mets-Willets Point and 74 St- Broadway. It's entirely local both AM and PM rush between Queensboro Plaza and said station, 74 St. Due to station work at Woodside-61 St, the middle track is mostly not used. 

12 minutes ago, Calvin said:

The portion of the <7> is reduced as to Monday, June 26th, 2023 up to January 2024, there will be express peak service between Mets-Willets Point and 74 St- Broadway. It's entirely local both AM and PM rush between Queensboro Plaza and said station, 74 St. Due to station work at Woodside-61 St, the middle track is mostly not used. 

At that point it should just be the (7) local only

3 hours ago, Calvin said:

3 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

At that point it should just be the (7) local only

Agreed.  Too much mixing without much benefit.  Run a consistent and frequent local service until January.

On 6/16/2023 at 4:22 PM, Wallyhorse said:

The idea of moving the (R) to Nassau came from politicians in Bay Ridge wanting the (R) to be split because of all the problems it has had in Brooklyn.  I would reassemble what used to be at Canal if necessary so the (R) can terminate there on the Nassau line (and likely at Chambers for the (J) most of the time) to appease said pols and bake that into the budget.  Keep in mind, the kind of terminal I would be doing for a Nassau <R> ending at Canal (on weekdays, late nights and weekends this <R> would be extended to Metropolitan Avenue to absorb the night and weekend (M) shuttles) was not possible until the work that was done to consolidate the tracks on the Nassau line at Canal and Bowery so they could abandon the northbound platforms at Canal and Bowery was finished (and this <R> would be based out of East New York so there also would be in-service yard runs from and to Broadway Junction on the (J)).   Work would be needed to bring the northbound platforms at Canal and Bowery up to snuff (including rebuilding the former entrance to Canal on the east side of Nassau on the (J)) but to me its worth it because you also are removing the (R) from the Broadway line and putting it on Nassau while the (W) can become a 19/7 line to 71st-Continental and the (N) possibly supplemented by a new "Yellow (V)" that runs from 9th Avenue on the (D) to Astoria via the tunnel and lower Manhattan to keep that connection to the Broadway line from Montague.   

This idea deserves a comment.  I think there is some merit to exploring <R> service, but it does seem like Canal may not be the best place for a terminal.

What about rearranging Broadway-Brooklyn service to accommodate Bay Ridge?  Make the <R> service as part of the (Z) :  Rush hour and mid-day service:

(J) Jamaica Center - Broadway Junction - directional AM/PM express between Bwy Jct and Marcy - Nassau - Broad St.  So it will be a directional express to Manhattan from 6 am - 12 noon, away from Manhattan 1 pm - 8 pm, and local in the reverse direction.

(Z) Broadway Junction - Broadway Brooklyn local - Nassau - Montague Tunnel - 4th Ave local - Bay Ridge 

(M) No changes

(Q) No changes

(N) 96th/2nd - Broadway express - Manhattan Bridge - 4th Ave express - Sea Beach

(W) 71/Continental - QBL local -- 60th - Broadway local - Whitehall

(R) Astoria  - 60th - Broadway local - Montague tunnel - 4th Ave local - West End line to 9th Ave - (CI Yard Access).