SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

If you're eating or ingesting something, I suggest you don't read this unless you want thoughts of it in your head, wait till you have finished.

If you're gonna take the train, don't take it when your stomach doesn't feel well (Is that so hard)....

Some woman puked inside the train on the (A) . Worst thing is that it was the very first car (and worse yet, by the cab door, that TO is gonna have one mess to deal with, literally; I feel bad for the guy). So disgusting (don't even get me started on the potential odor that could leave), everyone was like looking and most left the 1st car, thank god the (A) was running local.

I warned you.

Gawd, I HATE people who do that...

We do NOT want to see your undigested lunch!!

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding the (T) (and the Second Avenue line in general), the idea is not so much to get people to transfer from other lines to it, but to get riders who live/work on the East Side to use it over the Lexington Avenue line. Now, if it was built as originally planned back in '29 and later in the '68 Program for Action, that wouldn't be an issue as those plans called for a full length line from the Bronx to at least midtown. On the subject of yards, if I'm not mistaken, there is/was? a planned turn off from the line south of 63rd Street east to the Queens Blvd line via 63rd Street. Of course that could change as that's a part of Phase 3 construction., but if that option is still in play, it would add another potential yard to the line on top of the obvious choice of Coney Island.

You think people puke by choice on the train?

Seriously man, quoted for the win! Sometimes you just can't help it. There was a day when I had dinner uptown, I was feeling fine all the way until I hit around Newkirk, started feeling nauseated. Threw up at Avenue H, not in the train though. Found out I had food poisoning afterwards. Can't control things like these.

Now if they were drunk...what did ya expect? Have the power to hold in a barf? LOL yeah right.

On the subject of yards, if I'm not mistaken, there is/was? a planned turn off from the line south of 63rd Street east to the Queens Blvd line via 63rd Street. Of course that could change as that's a part of Phase 3 construction., but if that option is still in play, it would add another potential yard to the line on top of the obvious choice of Coney Island.

Correct. The spur is currently there, as an overengineering feature of the 63rd St Line, sitting just east of 63rd Street/Lex (Queens Bound) to allow access from SAS south to the IND Queens Blvd Line. What you stated though had me thinking, the use of Jamaica Yard for the trains to run on the complete SAS on the (T) . I previously thought that the MTA had intentions to use that spur in revenue service after phase 3 and 4 are completed.

The problem I see is that people will think the (T) is local and then still cram on the (4)(5) because they think the express is a faster ride.

NOBODY is going to walk PAST the 2 Av station an extra two blocks just so they can ride an express. Especially since they can only do that if they're near 86 St. It's not just an extra two blocks, but also going down to the lower level. By the time they walk that extra distance, their (T) could have already picked them up and be pulling into 125 St.

NOBODY is going to walk PAST the 2 Av station an extra two blocks just so they can ride an express. Especially since they can only do that if they're near 86 St. It's not just an extra two blocks, but also going down to the lower level. By the time they walk that extra distance, their (T) could have already picked them up and be pulling into 125 St.

Also, not for nothing, There will be what, 3 stations in between 86 and 125? So you're talking about maybe a 6-7 minute trip on the SAS versus a 5 minute trip on the 4/5?

But I do know what he's saying, about the PERCEPTION that express service is faster than local.

I think that will likely cancel out with people who walk over to the SAS because it's closer to their destination, it's new and exciting, or even the stations are more comfortable - even though the Lex line might be closer to them.

Edit: although I wonder if the journey 100 or so feet down will deter any ridership. The escalators at lex and 63rd, for example, can be pretty annoying.  

Edited by itmaybeokay

Caught a (5) train this morning that went over 7 Av. Then got delayed again due to a train with door problems at 110 St. Went express in the Bronx only for it to drop out at 180 St because of that midday G.O. Ended up racing it on a (2) train only for my (2) to get held at Gun Hill Rd

Having double checked the planned stations for SAS a 4 track express build isn't needed but not needed but a 3rd track would be appropriate for operational ease rather than relying on being able to fit trains through the QBL local lines which can impact the QBL rider commutes.

I don't have a transit savy rider in mind when I make those statements. But people will go with the perception. On Lex ave the 6 runs very regularly and runs like water during the Rush at ever 3-6 minutes. Compare that to the Q usually running every 6-8 minutes at best but usually every 10. So even if that walk might have cost them a train a rider may be satisfied to get to the platform and have a train arrive in moments. Also if a rider isn't on the stop's street but say a few blocks away, 2 more blocks may not matter that much to them depending on how the neighborhood is and what's in the area.

Keep in mind people aren't only walking, might someone stay on the M86 or the M96 for an extra stop, very plausible. 
A big factor will also be final destinations, a good number of people jump off to transfer to the Broadway line at 59th but is it enough to support SAS and are those people from Manhattan?

On the Lex 86th is the 9th most popular stop in the system, is (Q) service appealing enough to influence ride over their current options: The M15 or the walk to Lex, in either event the majority of the area seems to be screaming "Lower-East Side!". Unless transit does some schedule increase the SAS is going to see low-mediocre ridership well into phase 3.

The (F) is always a mess. They should have gotten around to doing CBTC on QBL first because the (F) runs at max capacity in terms of trains per hour during the rush and it still runs like shit

While it would seem to make sense that Queens Blvd should've received CBTC conversion first, it actually makes much more sense that Canarsie got it first. Could you imagine all of the service disruptions (both planned and otherwise) dealing with the installation and all of the problems afterwards on one of the busiest lines in the entire system. And not only that, but it's also not isolated like Canarsie, so that would affect four different lines. Possibly even five if people started jumping ship to the (7).

Thats cuz the damn (E) & (G) trains are always in the way...

Exactly what I am thinking, the Culver Viaduct. In part what the problem can be is the Bergen Street interlocking, which has a high rate of signal failure or switch malfunction seen from all of these delays posted on the MTA site as of recent times. 

Weekends? Well they should increase headways on the (F) . Its horrible on Saturdays and Sundays.

In regards to CBTC not being installed on the Queens Blvd Line first, the technology needs to be tried and proven before going through a major undertaking as with the QBL. CBTC retrofitted into a traditional signal block system which we dont really see in regional transit systems with the exception of MUNI. Really on top of that we will need new rolling stock capable of running on both types of signal systems. So I am in agreement with Lance on that point. Install it first on a isolated line such as the (L) and as we are seeing now, on the (7) . Then worry about the need for CBTC on the QBL.

Edited by realizm

Caught an R188 on the (7) today for the first time. I really do love the strip maps, because of the reasons that Lance stated per this post linked below:

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/43289-the-great-growing-change-in-technology-the-all-new-r188/?do=findComment&comment=727646

The (F) is always a mess. They should have gotten around to doing CBTC on QBL first because the (F) runs at max capacity in terms of trains per hour during the rush and it still runs like shit

All super longer routes tend to have their problems:

-The (2) can get delayed by the (3) and (5)

-The (A) can get delayed by the IND (S) shuttle, (C) and (D)

-The (F) can get delayed by the (E), (M) and (G)

-The (R) can get delayed by the (M), (N) and (Q)

It all depends on the dispatchers and the bottlenecks themselves. It also depends if there's track work on the White Plains Road, Rockaway and/or Culver branches. Besides, the subway system is already complex as is. While trains and buses run based on schedules, its not always easy to have them arrive/leave on time.

Another day, another round of annoyed passengers (justifiably annoyed at this point) trying to figure out which F train will stop where. Get on an (F) at Jay, going express to Church. We pass another (F) at Smith-9 then go local past Church. That train then goes express after Ditmas and passes us before Kings Highway. They've been doing this alternating express thing with late PM (F) trains lately. I was on the other end of that a few weeks ago where I was on the one that went express after Ditmas. In addition to the countless problems at Church and Smith-9 over the past week or so sending everything express, foamers have had a ton of chances to foam TEH CULVERZ EXPRESSES. Needless to say, plenty of passengers seemed annoyed with this hopstop bullshit.

I was referring specifically to the seemingly non-stop problems at Church last week or so. You are right on the lateness, though. There are always a few late ones that end up going express between 18 and Kings, but it's been worse since the towers now get to play around with the trains going express on different segments with the express tracks on the viaduct in service. Well, better if one lives at an express stop, I guess.

My whole trip on the (F) was plagued by "Train Traffic", according to MTA Twitter (after the fact) there were incidents at 179th st & 23rd street. I'm tired of this "Train Traffic ahead of us" BS. JUST TELL US THERE WAS AN ISSUE!!!!!

"There's an issue at 23rd street? Ok I'll take the (D) to 7th ave and take the (E). There's an issue at 179th street? Ok I'll take the (E) to Jamaica and walk to the bus terminal damn, is it that difficult to inform customers!? :angry:

Anyone if you see R46 #5575, don't put your stuff on ground because today, after I was doing NICE Bus Survey at 169th St Station at n22/n24 bus stop, making sure no one is looking for n22L, I got on front car of Coney Island-bound (F) around 19:40 and there was homeless No. 2 and at Parsons Blvd, when one of passenger told the T/O about #2, he had to closed and locked the 1st car at next stop, Sutphin Blvd while we all moved to 2nd car.

I even helped T/O all the way to 14th St to let passengers know and I said, "1ST CAR IS CLOSED!!" in loud voice as I put my head out.

It became like LIRR for 1-day, because of stinky homeless #2, he had to drive train with 1st front car closed.