SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm, I got an idea for an extension. Just tell me if it'd feasible or not.

The (3) currently terminates at New Lots Ave. And one of the biggest complaints around this forum is that the (A) doesn't connect good enough with IRT lines, why not build a new platform at Euclid Ave (it really only needs to be one side platform, actually) and have the (3) terminate there? It would make for an easy transfer to the (A), all on one fare of course. The (2) and (5) will still terminate at New Lots on their special trips.

(additionally, a new stop could be added to the (3) at Sutter Ave)

Edited by Vistausss

The (3) currently terminates at New Lots Ave. And one of the biggest complaints around this forum is that the (A) doesn't connect good enough with IRT lines, why not build a new platform at Euclid Ave (it really only needs to be one side platform, actually) and have the (3) terminate there? It would make for an easy transfer to the (A), all on one fare of course. The (2) and (5) will still terminate at New Lots on their special trips.

Bad idea. That's actually too far off for making a connection between the two stations.

^Yeah, I know what you mean. The crowd is terrible esp. during rush hours because the R46 only have 32 doors per side in comparison to the 160, which has 40. I would rather have the R46s go to the (E), because of the fact that the (F) has to deal with large crowds along QBL, Culver and 6 Av while the (E) only has to deal with crowds on QBL and 8 Av. Unfortunately, its not going to happen.

As for the (F)/® swap after the tubes open, I don't have a definitive answer. Perhaps one of the motorman or TA employees here would know...

Take if from someone that grew up by the (F), It is annoying seeing those R46s so much now. It would be cool seeing R46s on the (E) too. They should be split with all the QBL lines honestly. It is kinda is a waste having them if they're only gonna be on the (F) and or (R). I always said to myself the R46s would be stuck on the (F) until they reitre. Guess I was right.

A better connection would be with the (L). Both lines intersect and their respective stations (Livonia Ave (3) & Junius St (L)) are close to one another.

Bad idea. That's actually too far off for making a connection between the two stations.

Not too far, but won't get enough ridership. It might be a better idea to send the (3) down to Linden Boulevard and east to Laurelton. You'd still have a connection to the (A), plus another line to JFK.  Relatively few people will get off of an express (A) at Euclid Avenue to get on a local. If they're going to somewhere along Lex or 7th Avenues, they can (and would) transfer at Fulton Street in Manhattan because it would take half the time. If people REALLY want to get from the (A)(C) to the (3) in Brooklyn, build a transfer to the (L) at Junius Street (which should be done anyway as they're right next to each other.

Well they the (MTA) could extend the (3) to Euclid by building underground and turning into Euclid, but I do agree with you on the bad idea part. A lot of money would have to be put into such project and the current ridership doesn't justify it. If anything they could use the money to reduce fair or upgrade the A div Ntt's.

Not too far, but won't get enough ridership. It might be a better idea to send the (3) down to Linden Boulevard and east to Laurelton. You'd still have a connection to the (A), plus another line to JFK.  Relatively few people will get off of an express (A) at Euclid Avenue to get on a local. If they're going to somewhere along Lex or 7th Avenues, they can (and would) transfer at Fulton Street in Manhattan because it would take half the time. If people REALLY want to get from the (A)(C) to the (3) in Brooklyn, build a transfer to the (L) at Junius Street (which should be done anyway as they're right next to each other.

Why must u post before I finish my postand steal my ideas? *Chases you with butter knife*

Nah if they wanted to transfer from the (3) from the (C) or vice versa in Brooklyn they can get off at Franklin avenue and take the (S)

Livonia (L) and Junius St (3) are close, but not one on to of the other close. Yes the (3) is directly above the (L) at Livonia, but the (3) station itself is a good block and a half away, plus on the other side of the New York & Atlantic freight tracks (about another block).

A physical transfer wouldn't really be feasible, but an out of system transfer could possibly work. I'm sure we had a discussion about this before...

Livonia (L) and Junius St (3) are close, but not one on to of the other close. Yes the (3) is directly above the (L) at Livonia, but the (3) station itself is a good block and a half away, plus on the other side of the New York & Atlantic freight tracks (about another block).

A physical transfer wouldn't really be feasible, but an out of system transfer could possibly work. I'm sure we had a discussion about this before...

Platform to platform horizontal distance is ~250 feet, which is exactly the distance across Linden Shops and the Bay Ridge Branch. 1 short block. There are plans to build transfers from the Second Avenue line to the Lex, each of these would be over 4 times longer. Heck, the 14th Street transfer from 6th Avenue to 7th Avenue is quite a bit longer than 250 feet. They would need one more pedestrian bridge. It's not tunneling under 100 year old buildings.

I used to live on Riverdale, that bridge over the track had a reputation and occasionally shady characters would be spot stradling the bridge waiting for a sucker. It would be slightly safer to construct a bridge platform to platform but that doesn't solve it all. But crossing that bridge over the NYAR tracks at night comes at a risk.

Not to mention the transfer would be an annoying down-up-down-up journey.

Edited by Jsunflyguy

I think the main problem preventing such a connection is making it ADA-compliant. Any new construction, whether it's a new station or a new transfer between existing stations, must be built to be fully accessible. And if the transfer has to be accessible, both stations would likely have to be as well. If it was built at least 25 or so years ago before the ADA became law, you could get away with a narrow bridge over the freight tracks and a couple of staircases connecting the two stations. Today, not so much.

I think the main problem preventing such a connection is making it ADA-compliant. Any new construction, whether it's a new station or a new transfer between existing stations, must be built to be fully accessible. And if the transfer has to be accessible, both stations would likely have to be as well. If it was built at least 25 or so years ago before the ADA became law, you could get away with a narrow bridge over the freight tracks and a couple of staircases connecting the two stations. Today, not so much.

Yes. Making it ADA compliant would require a minimum of 5 elevators (platforms to mezzanines, street to mezz for the (3)). It's right there, but elevators are not cheap. if the platforms were right on top of each other, you could get away with fewer, but that isn't the case. Only saving grace is that the (L) has a ground-level station house.

My uptown (4) train went BIE right before the curve at Grand Central... conductor said it was a faulty signal which tripped the train. What does the MTA do when this happens? Do the crew still have to take standard drug tests afterwards? Do they still have to walk around the train while the 3 tracks around them are still active and live during the middle of the morning rush?

Well:

Service Change  Posted: 02/04/2014  8:46PM 

NYC Transit Cold Weather Plan is in effect. Service changes are:

Northbound 6.png train express service is running local from 3 Av-138 St to Parkchester.

Allow addtional travel time.

For details on NYCT Cold Weather Plans see http://new.mta.info/news/2014/01/22/parking-trains

Service Change  Posted: 02/04/2014  8:43PM 

NYC Transit Cold Weather Plan in effect. Service changes are:

4.png and 5.png trains are running local between Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall and 125 St.

Allow additional travel time.

For details on NYCT Cold Weather Plans see http://new.mta.info/news/2014/01/22/parking-trains

Delays  Posted: 02/04/2014  8:13PM 

Due to ongoing signal problems at Pelham Bay Park, 6.png trains are running with delays in both directions.

Service Change  Posted: 02/04/2014  8:54PM 

a.png train service is running local between Euclid Av and Hoyt Schermerhorn in both directions.

For details on NYCT Cold Weather Plans see http://new.mta.info/news/2014/01/22/parking-trains.

Service Change  Posted: 02/04/2014  8:59PM 

NYC Transit Cold Weather Plans in effect. Service changes are:

n.png trains are running local in both directions from Atlantic Av-Barclays Center to 59 St (Bklyn)

Service Change  Posted: 02/04/2014  8:57PM 

q.png trains are running local in both directions between 57 St-7 Av and Canal St.

Just curious what was the turn around on testing and receiving the letter?

4 years, 7 months and 29 days. They asked me to come down to Livingston St on Feb 13th with this thick wad of papers filled out and every piece of ID I own to do a medical.

Waste of my time.

Edited by TeeLow

Today, I got an RFW in both directions on the entire (J) route via the R42s. I saw a rerouted (M) from Chambers heading northbound. Later, just found out my answer that the issue at Herald Square was the problem.

I was on an R42 earlier at around 3:50 and I had the R32 (J) right behind me

R142A 7756-60 have the new door motors. Thought they were only doing the cars on the (6) only for the R188 conversion, but I guess I was wrong.

Side note: these traction motors are having the ultimate heart attack right now out here. Sounds like the train is confusing itself when it's slowing down because of this snow

Another variation of the new motors:

I used to live on Riverdale, that bridge over the track had a reputation and occasionally shady characters would be spot stradling the bridge waiting for a sucker. It would be slightly safer to construct a bridge platform to platform but that doesn't solve it all. But crossing that bridge over the NYAR tracks at night comes at a risk.

Not to mention the transfer would be an annoying down-up-down-up journey.

Hell it still does have that reputation, especially in the summer months. I have to cross that bridge when I go to my uncle house (he's on Sneideker [or however you spell it] and Blake.) At nights I just walk straight across Blake to Mother Gaston (the projects don't scare me in the least bit) or if I'm super lazy I just take the (L) 2 stops lol

Hell it still does have that reputation, especially in the summer months. I have to cross that bridge when I go to my uncle house (he's on Sneideker [or however you spell it] and Blake.) At nights I just walk straight across Blake to Mother Gaston (the projects don't scare me in the least bit) or if I'm super lazy I just take the (L) 2 stops lol

You mean that bridge by Livonia on the (L) ? Used to do the same thing as I was a proud resident of Brownsville myself. Used to live off New Lots Ave. The neighborhood seems quiet nowadays compared to say ten years ago.

MTA Opetrating Near Normal Service

The MTA Regional Transportation Network is operating near normal service this morning, as crews continue working to keep platforms, staircases clear of snow and ice and bus service on the road. Snow fighting equipment has been deployed to keep rails free of snow and to prevent ice buildup.

MTA Metro-North Railroad is operating a reduced schedule today, with several combined trains. 

Customers should monitor Service Status on this page for the latest information.  

Iesd laughing at this post . i wander if we should have a thread called"Mta No Proofread" or "Mta Typo"

Is this person who wrote the info on mta.infostill have no coffee yet?