SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

This man is correct. The (C) switches to the 6 Avenue line south of West 4 Street. East of Broadway–Lafayette, the (C) switches again to Essex Street by traversing the Chrystie cut.

(And damn. I rushed here to post, but he beat me to it.)

Better luck next time rookie :P . the for the detailed response tho.

Thx*

Edited by ScreechyFlange

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something wasn't right this morning. When I got to Euclid around 8:20 AM there was an (A) on the express track NIS with FDNY activity in the front (lead car 5840). Someone said a C had sparked along the track aswell all the way to Euclid. The entire station smelled of burned rubber and was smokey.

Let me put it this way - everything that COULD have gone wrong in the IND Manhattan/Brooklyn this morning, DID go wrong. After asking around with some co-workers, I found out that today was straight out Murphy's Law on the railroad. If I went into greater detail I might be guilty of some company rule violations, so I'll leave it at that.

Oh OK. If they don't stay on the (6) where would they go. If they go on the (4) it will have the same problem as they did on the (6). Maybe the (4) could give all their R142A's to the 6 and they both get the R62A's so they both could be split NTT and R62A.

The other only line for the R62As to go to is the (4) , you can keep the Led lights but it would be pointless , in the case that they would go to the (4) the leds would be removed,,

Like I said numerous times they're not gonna last long on the (6), they can't handle the load like in the past, I don't see what's so damn hard to give the (6) R142's from somewhere else and place the R62A's elsewhere

They handle the load just fine. The capacity difference between an R62A and an R142 is negligible. And if it weren't, then the 6 would certainly be the best place for the R62A's, since the 2, 4, and 5 all see heavier loading than the 6.

Well, the express bus cost more than twice the revenue of the subway, so one fare would be about 2 people. More fares would come in (given the current service stays the same).

Also, the northern parts of the (Q) have 3 express bus routes (the BM1/BM3/BM4) and the BM2 if you were to tie that in.

But the current service wouldn't stay the same as soon as loads increased beyond 20 per bus - the off-peak guideline load for hourly express bus service. Additional buses would have to be added.

Based on 2010 numbers -

On Saturdays, the BM1 carries an average of 7 riders per bus, at a cost of $33.82 per passenger. If more than 13 additional riders per hour were to shift to the BM1, more buses would be added.

On Saturdays, the BM2 carries an average of 7 riders per bus, at a cost of $30.03 per passenger. If more than 13 additional riders per hour were to shift to the BM2, more buses would be added.

On Saturdays, the BM3 carries an average of 7 riders per bus, at a cost of $35.01 per passenger. If more than 13 additional riders per hour were to shift to the BM3, more buses would be added.

On Saturdays, the BM4 carries an average of 3 riders per bus, at a cost of $74.82 per passenger. If more than 17 additional riders per hour were to shift to the BM4, more buses would be added.

Source: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aha-LfXMlWNBdHd4QkhLRF92cURWNWdSbzNfSjJwWWc&hl=en#gid=1

Those four express buses, combined, can take on 56 additional riders per hour, per direction, if the goal is to avoid having to add more express bus service. That's a diversion of less than one person per Q train.

They handle the load just fine. The capacity difference between an R62A and an R142 is negligible. And if it weren't, then the 6 would certainly be the best place for the R62A's, since the 2, 4, and 5 all see heavier loading than the 6.

The capacity difference is close to negligible (I'd be careful to say it truly is), but the difference in loading times is pronounced. My daily commute (11 stops) is between three and four minutes longer in travel time whenever an R62A is used, generally running a few minutes late at the same time. While it's anecdotal, the number of times I've taken the trip and timed the travel means my data isn't that terrible when we ignore the outliers, and R62As are indeed slower in the morning rush. It's not the capacity, it's the loading times with the 4" narrower doors.

The capacity difference is close to negligible (I'd be careful to say it truly is), but the difference in loading times is pronounced. My daily commute (11 stops) is between three and four minutes longer in travel time whenever an R62A is used, generally running a few minutes late at the same time. While it's anecdotal, the number of times I've taken the trip and timed the travel means my data isn't that terrible when we ignore the outliers, and R62As are indeed slower in the morning rush. It's not the capacity, it's the loading times with the 4" narrower doors.

I don't ride the 6 as often as you do - typically a few times a week, both rush hours and off-peak - and I haven't noticed any trend of the sort. Besides, if the R62A's really add 3-4 minutes to the running time on a line that runs every 2.5 minutes, then you'd also encounter some of the slowdown if you're on the R142A behind it.

I'm not dismissing your observations, but I doubt it's as bad as you're making it out to be.

I ride the (6) almost every single day and 98% of the time I always get an R62A , its not as bad as you make it seem man , there are always delays when it comes to loading , doesn't matter if you are on a R62A or R142A , but that is nothing that we can't handle , It wont hurt to have to wait 3-5 minutes more in your commute.

Edited by R62AR33

I don't ride the 6 as often as you do - typically a few times a week, both rush hours and off-peak - and I haven't noticed any trend of the sort. Besides, if the R62A's really add 3-4 minutes to the running time on a line that runs every 2.5 minutes, then you'd also encounter some of the slowdown if you're on the R142A behind it.

I'm not dismissing your observations, but I doubt it's as bad as you're making it out to be.

That type of slowdown is exactly what occurs. Here's the nitty-gritty:

My Parkchester-bound (6) is scheduled to arrive at my home stop at 7:38 AM, which generally occurs with an R142A. The next train (Pelham Bay Park) comes at 7:41. This has been the setup for a few years. When an R62A runs, the 7:38 PC train comes in at 7:41, runs a few more minutes late during the trip, and then goes express. The 7:41 R142A PBP is right behind that train the entire time. It's not uncommon to arrive at a station on the late PC R62A to hear the "approaching the station" announcement in reference to the 7:41 PBP train running barely a full length behind. The 7:38 PC is always sent express after a few stops, and in that time the gap in service is fixed, especially as the load gets lighter into the Bronx. 

If your trip is one-two stops, the delay is marginal; two, three minutes. If your trip is twenty stops, there's no delay due to the skip. If your trip is five to ten stops and you get off at an express stop, the delay is about four to five minutes. If your trip is five to ten stops and you get off at a skipped local stop, the delay is seven to eight minutes. I'm one of those people getting off at a skipped station, and I went from getting to the stop at 7:58 to getting to the stop at 8:05. It's a pain, and while the solution is simple (get up earlier), it's still a problem that's annoying to see exist having never existed before.

It seems like the TA took note, however, because the R62A is now running on the 7:35 PBP train and the 7:38 PC is back to being an R142A after a few weeks of the switch. I've been getting in at 7:58 again, so my bitching can take a break for now. 

Let me put it this way - everything that COULD have gone wrong in the IND Manhattan/Brooklyn this morning, DID go wrong. After asking around with some co-workers, I found out that today was straight out Murphy's Law on the railroad. If I went into greater detail I might be guilty of some company rule violations, so I'll leave it at that.

Well, it was St. Patrick's Day, and Murphy was an optimist....

Question. I want to take the Express Bus to school today, but I have a regular unlimited metrocard. HOWEVER. I have about 41 buck on the same card. Will the farebox deduct the money or just reject the card altogether because it's not the express bus plus card?

It should deduct the money... If no money is on there it would simply reject the card. I've seen this happen on a number of occasions with people trying to use regular unlimited Metrocards on the express bus.  I also don't get what part of drop-off only don't people understand? They try to board express buses when they know they don't pick up, nor do they pay attention to the $6.00 fare... Smh  <_<

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Does anyone know what they are doing between Avenue H and Kings Highway on Coney Island side? I dont see any workers there.

There has to be some kind of repair going on though, i know that.

I was watching the news this morning and apparently there was a car that plowed over some fencing and landed on a Coney Island bound R160 (Q) train.

extralarge.jpg

I love the (A) train and its shorten version so much that I never want to stop being a daily rider on the aforementioned line. I usually fan the entire 8th Avenue/Fulton Street/Rockaway side of town after school.

Oh, I realized the timers that used to be at Beach 60th Street were just for track work, track maintenance etc.

I think it was 3682 that I saw today with the rollsigns all messed up, either that one has turnhandles or somebody messed around.

Also saw an R160 set on the E that must have been absolutely bombed with graffiti as there were about three cars totally covered in acid stains. 

I think it was 3682 that I saw today with the rollsigns all messed up, either that one has turnhandles or somebody messed around.

Also saw an R160 set on the E that must have been absolutely bombed with graffiti as there were about three cars totally covered in acid stains.

What combination was the result of this messing around of the rollsign?

Using Tapatalk

Ha, I sure want to get my own rollsign for that reason, but rollsigns vary including the rare F Avenue of the Americas Local reading. It was posted on the forums long before I came on. Using Tapatalk

Any of the R27-R30 rollsigns showed that reading, but only a couple of R32s have them. 3807 has one of those rollsigns, as do 3510-3511 (garbage cars). 

I believe 3380-3381 have them too.

Here, I caught these at 207th earlier in the year. Very historic signage setup:

13275420775_340f1407ef_o.jpg

3511 is set as:

168 St

Manhattan

-

World Trade Center

-

(K) 8 Avenue

Local

3510 is set as:

57 St / 7 Av 

Manhattan

-

Stillwell Av

Coney Island

-

(Yellow D) Broadway 

Brighton

Edited by MHV9218

Ha, I sure want to get my own rollsign for that reason, but rollsigns vary including the rare F Avenue of the Americas Local reading. It was posted on the forums long before I came on. Using Tapatalk

Any of the R27-R30 rollsigns showed that reading, but only a couple of R32s have them. 3807 has one of those rollsigns, as do 3510-3511 (garbage cars).

I believe 3380-3381 have them too.

Here, I caught these at 207th earlier in the year. Very historic signage setup:

3511 is set as:

168 St

Manhattan

-

World Trade Center

-

(K) 8 Avenue

Local

3510 is set as:

57 St / 7 Av

Manhattan

-

Stillwell Av

Coney Island

-

(Yellow D) Broadway

Brighton

Great catch and Now I really want to go and get one of the rollsigns when the MTA sells them.

Using Tapatalk