SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

How can the (1) terminate at 96 St today, yet need to be extended to 148 St during the FASTRACK version of this outage? Where are they relaying today?

Center track north of 96 Street, but according to the map, they're using the (3) terminal.

Edited by CenSin

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw an R62 set starting with a lead car in the 1560s and the end car 1470 on the (1) today, hadn't seen that one before. 2240 is missing strip maps, not sure why those were removed.

I saw that yesterday as well and I was wondering about that. Thanks for the exact car #s, i only saw one of them.

i am sure you guys heard about the train wreck in Chicago. To my vision it seem that train got tired of being on the rail and decide to take the stairs. lol. I was thinking is it possible that the (7) train can be like this as well at Flushing Main Street?  Maybe the (S) at Grand Central as well?

I've always wondered this... what was the point of building four tracks on Nassau St? I get that the two middle tracks would be "express" tracks and the two outer tracks would be "local" tracks, but what was the point if Nassau St didn't have any local stations in the first place? The former northbound express track does not even have rails anymore and the former northbound local track is for GO's only after the (J)(Z) was rerouted through the former downtown express track. I swear the unused sides at Bowery and Canal add to the creepiness of the stations

I've always wondered this... what was the point of building four tracks on Nassau St? I get that the two middle tracks would be "express" tracks and the two outer tracks would be "local" tracks, but what was the point if Nassau St didn't have any local stations in the first place? The former northbound express track does not even have rails anymore and the former northbound local track is for GO's only after the (J)(Z) was rerouted through the former downtown express track. I swear the unused sides at Bowery and Canal add to the creepiness of the stations

Several unconstruced lines were to run into Nassau

i am sure you guys heard about the train wreck in Chicago. To my vision it seem that train got tired of being on the rail and decide to take the stairs. lol. I was thinking is it possible that the (7) train can be like this as well at Flushing Main Street?  Maybe the (S) at Grand Central as well?

Isn't Chicago mostly cab signalling and ATP? If there's a computer on the train, it can be overridden or disabled. I'd like to hear more about the state of the computer systems before making any judgements.

While this could theoretically happen in New York, it's very unlikely due to the presence of timers protecting nearly every stub-ended track outside of a yard. The final trip stop is located far enough from the end of track for a train to stop when traveling at the speed specified by the timers if it passes the final red signal. Trains crawl into stub terminals. One of the many reasons why the Flushing extension has long tail tracks. A train will be able to enter at speed and still be able to stop before the bumper block if tripped.

There were two tracks each from the Williamsburg and Manhattan bridges. To the south, there was the tunnel and a planned connection to the Brooklyn Bridge. That should be justification for 4 or even more tracks.

I don't really get why there are 4 tracks north of the Manny B if 2 were rarely (if ever) used. Was the original plan to run everything from south of Chambers to Essex or beyond?