SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

No...

After leaving Queens Plaza, it goes over the (M) to Rockefeller Center then follow the (D) down 6 Av and over the bridge where it gets back on the (R) once it gets off the bridge

Oh.

But it said the (R) will go via the Chrystie St Connection then it will go via Manhattan bridge

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh.

But it said the (R) will go via the Chrystie St Connection then it will go via Manhattan bridge

No, realizm said it...but if you want to get technical, Grand St and the 6 Av approach to the Manhattan Bridge is all part of the Chrystie St connection, but for all intents and purposes when people say the Chrystie St connection, they usually just refer to that part that the (M) uses.

After the train leaves Queens Plaza, it pretty much becomes an (M) train up until West 4 St (last place it can switch and go over the bridge). Once it gets into West 4 St (on the express track), it basically follows the (D) into Bway-Lafayette and Grand St and over the bridge where it can switch back onto its regular line north of Dekalb

Exactly. Apparently the reason they are sending the R to 6th Avenue during this GO is to undergo repairs on the 60th Street tube.

================================================================================

a8WPe6Z_700b1_zps2f9c1058.jpg

Found this post on 9GAG. This is a photo of a undercover police officer averting a mugger in 1985. Bruce Davidson took the photograph according to the comments. Initially when I saw the photo I thought this was out of a movie but this may be a genuine picture of a real situation.

Edited by realizm

Just looking at some photos of the Broadway R62A singles, and I started to wonder... what is the story behind these cars? My impression was that when they began linking the R62 and R62A types, they linked all of the (1)'s cars, and discovering that singles still exist was surprising. Why did they keep these cars as singles, when the (1) has absolutely no need for them?

Adding onto questions about the R62As, are there any plans to link the rest of the singles on the Times Square Shuttle? And which ones have been linked? Don't know why they linked the 3 cars in the first place, but w/e

Also, have there ever been any instances where any type of single unit vehicle was out on the mainline by itself? I'm assuming no, because of 3rd rail gaps, but you never know.

Adding onto questions about the R62As, are there any plans to link the rest of the singles on the Times Square Shuttle? And which ones have been linked? Don't know why they linked the 3 cars in the first place, but w/e

Also, have there ever been any instances where any type of single unit vehicle was out on the mainline by itself? I'm assuming no, because of 3rd rail gaps, but you never know.

Ive heard that they might create four car units on the S but I dont know if this is possible due to the platform lengths at Times Square. As for a rapid transit single unit passenger service vehicle, under the days of the IND, NYCTA ot MTA I have never heard of that. 

The movie Money Train car might have ran on the mainline by itself when they filmed the parts of the movie in the real Subway, I know most of it filmed in a fake studio subway system in LA, but parts of it was flimed here in NYC and its a operational, functional subway car up until at least a couple of years ago. Edited by trainfan22

Ive heard that they might create four car units on the S but I dont know if this is possible due to the platform lengths at Times Square. As for a rapid transit single unit passenger service vehicle, under the days of the IND, NYCTA ot MTA I have never heard of that. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't only one train on the (S) use 4 car trains? I seem to recall reading something along those lines.

I didn't mean a single in passenger service, just any mainline trip. Yard moves for example.

The movie Money Train car might have ran on the mainline by itself when they filmed the parts of the movie in the real Subway, I know most of it filmed in a fake studio subway system in LA, but parts of it was flimed here in NYC and its a operational, functional subway car up until at least a couple of years ago.

Interesting, I've never heard of this car before, do you have any more information about it?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't only one train on the (S) use 4 car trains? I seem to recall reading something along those lines.

I didn't mean a single in passenger service, just any mainline trip. Yard moves for example.

Interesting, I've never heard of this car before, do you have any more information about it?

Correction that Times Square shuttle is currently 4 car units. Bit off beat today, worked an overnight shift.

On the movie Money Train: The subway car used in that movie is a modified R21 which can be seen here: 

moneya.jpg

Correction that Times Square shuttle is currently 4 car units. Bit off beat today, worked an overnight shift.

On the movie Money Train: The subway car used in that movie is a modified R21 which can be seen here: 

Hmm, interesting. I could have sworn it was only track 4 with a 4 car train. I guess not. So I guess the configuration for the train with the linked unit is the 3 car unit (with one end of the train having a half cab) and then a single? Or do they keep the full cab on the end of the linked train?

10544333_10201263061457948_2200028277773

Credits: Osvaldo Zamora

Upcoming weekend GO: R Trains are rerouted between Broadway Lafayette and Queens Plaza via 6th Avenue. The R will travel via the Christie Street Cut from the Manhattan Bridge to the IND 6th Ave Line and through the 53rd Street tubes to the IND Queens Blvd Line July 25th to the 28th. 

I want that poster...

Hmm, interesting. I could have sworn it was only track 4 with a 4 car train. I guess not. So I guess the configuration for the train with the linked unit is the 3 car unit (with one end of the train having a half cab) and then a single? Or do they keep the full cab on the end of the linked train?

Tracks 1 & 4 use 3 car trains, while track 3 uses a 4 car train.

BTW (G) train TO's are receiving bulletins on where to stop a R160 (G)....

Affirmative. Yes I heard about this latest development. The thing is according to some personnel they are saying that the MTA heads has not made a final decision as of yet according to their TSSs and superintendents, they are not even sure if operations planning will go through with this (with the evidence presented I believe it can indeed happen). So all of us even transit personnel are waiting and watching as this begins to unfold from the initial leak of the photo indicating that all G train crews to prepare to be R160 brake ready. 

I want that poster...

Me too lol. This is going to be an interesting weekend GO.