SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me it is exclusive because how many married couples R46s can you spot on the (A) train?( I expect them on the (S), but I guess anything can happen.) I mean, it's not a once in a life time exclusive like an R68A (A) train, but you can't see married couples on most R46 (A) trains.

It's an everyday thing. I would know because I live by the CPW Line

If we go by this...is someone that never rode the IRT, spotting a R142 would be "exclusive" wouldn't it be?

I mean if the guy rides CPW once a week or so, compared to Daniel who does it every 6-7 hours. It's not as rare to the non-frequent rider, compared to the frequent one. And yes your correct, If you were from some farther out city and you visit New York, an R142 would probably be "exclusive" but only to people at home and you.

Accoridng to joekorner, the (R) is all 46s but heres the thing there are at least 3 sets of 160s on the (R) on everyday basics 

With all respect to joekorner's site it's not the bible. Basically it tells you what equipment is assigned to a line/barn. It doesn't actually tell you what equipment may run on a particular day. For instance I operated an R62A consist on the (5) every day some years ago. The equipment was officially assigned to the (6) line and joekorner's site reflected that. Meanwhile 5 days a week for 6 months these R62A consists ran on the (5) l;ine.  I've run R142A consists on the (5) that were officially assigned to the (4) line. One of those consists also made a trip on the (2) that same day for what it's worth. The needs of the service alway outweigh car assignments or joekorner's site.Just sayin'.

Edited by Trainmaster5

We just started seeing the R68A run on the (A) this summer. And very soon, maybe when the R179s appear, the R68As will no longer run on the (A).

A once in a lifetime experience would be something like the R68A running on the (R), or if the R68A (A) was sent down to either Rockaway terminal, or something. That the regular R68A (A) hasn't happened before doesn't make it a once in a lifetime experience.

I mean if the guy rides CPW once a week or so, compared to Daniel who does it every 6-7 hours. It's not as rare to the non-frequent rider, compared to the frequent one. And yes your correct, If you were from some farther out city and you visit New York, an R142 would probably be "exclusive" but only to people at home and you.

Well, no, it would be a neat find, but certainly not an exclusive.

Accoridng to joekorner, the (R) is all 46s but heres the thing there are at least 3 sets of 160s on the (R) on everyday basics 

Yeah i saw two yesterday, one today. QBL was screwed up this afternoon. I was waiting for a queensbound E train. On the manhattan side I saw severe bunching with E trains on the local and express at the same time twice with a frequent E train in between. While on the QBL side there wer three freekin M trains in a row wihout an E train. I got in the station at 2:53 and I got on the E at 3:10. Something weird happened for the last M train. It had a diamond bullet with nothing inside. I took a crappy phone pic of it. I also caught R32s 3695-4 on the local track at Roosevelt while on the train leaving the station.

A once in a lifetime experience would be something like the R68A running on the (R), or if the R68A (A) was sent down to either Rockaway terminal, or something. That the regular R68A (A) hasn't happened before doesn't make it a once in a lifetime experience.

Well we both have different perspectives of what once in a lifetime is.

To me it is exclusive because how many married couples R46s can you spot on the (A) train?( I expect them on the (S), but I guess anything can happen.) I mean, it's not a once in a life time exclusive like an R68A (A) train, but you can't see married couples on most R46 (A) trains.

ALL of the 2 car R46s are assigned to Pitkin and can show up on either the (A) or (S). With 14 sets (including 6206-07), that adds up to 7 4-car sets (they must be connected to another to run in service) that can be found within those 2 lines.

Now the odds of them being on the (S) is low (but still possible, it has happened), so you'll have a better chance of finding them on the (A). They run every day with no problems with little to no second look at them.

Finding one on the road is as exclusive as finding a R142on the (2) with (5) stripmaps in it

ALL of the 2 car R46s are assigned to Pitkin and can show up on either the (A) or (S). With 14 sets (including 6206-07), that adds up to 7 4-car sets (they must be connected to another to run in service) that can be found within those 2 lines.

Now the odds of them being on the (S) is low (but still possible, it has happened), so you'll have a better chance of finding them on the (A). They run every day with no problems with little to no second look at them.

Finding one on the road is as exclusive as finding a R142on the (2) with (5) stripmaps in it

Oh ok. But it still is my first time on a married coupled set, so I'd like to take a moment and save the image I got from it.

How come the Staten Island Railway has a fare difference from NYC Subway?

* Each NYC Subway Station is 2.50 each stop, going to the destination

but on the SIR. I took the railway from Clinton to the Ferry and I have to pay $2.50 on the last stop