SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Sometimes I see this at Roosevelt Ave, Lexington Ave 53rd on the (6) platform, and a few other spots but what is the purpose of a MTA worker with a flash light usually at the beginning of the station? I usually see them waving it up and down and when the train doors close they turn it off.

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

True, But it's pretty rare for me

I've think I only caught the (A) to rockaway park twice this year

To add on to what Union said, the Rockaway (A) runs similar to the Nereid (5), 5 trains from the rockaways AM rush, 5 train to the rockaways PM rush.

Also to note, those trains don't run the entire route. I believe those trains end/begin at either Dyckman Street, 168 Street, and/or 59 Street. 

Sometimes I see this at Roosevelt Ave, Lexington Ave 53rd on the (6) platform, and a few other spots but what is the purpose of a MTA worker with a flash light usually at the beginning of the station? I usually see them waving it up and down and when the train doors close they turn it off.

It's to help out with the crowds at stations. The workers makes sure everyone gets in and out of the car, then they would signal the conductor with the flashlight when the doors are clear of passengers.

To add on to what Union said, the Rockaway (A) runs similar to the Nereid (5), 5 trains from the rockaways AM rush, 5 train to the rockaways PM rush.

Also to note, those trains don't run the entire route. I believe those trains end/begin at either Dyckman Street, 168 Street, and/or 59 Street.

59 St Columbus circle can be used as a terminal? Or they just take it out of service at 59 st?

Edited by R3216068E

59 St Columbus circle can be used as a terminal? Or they just take it out of service at 59 st?

16:03:30 168 St ROCKAWAY PARK - BEACH 116 ST  

16:24:00 168 St ROCKAWAY PARK - BEACH 116 ST      

16:43:00 168 St ROCKAWAY PARK - BEACH 116 ST      

17:02:00 168 St ROCKAWAY PARK - BEACH 116 ST

17:16:00 Dyckman St ROCKAWAY PARK - BEACH 116 ST

http://boerumhillscott.com/transit/LineTrips.php

06:38:30 Rockaway Park - Beach 116 St INWOOD - 207 ST       06:59:00 Rockaway Park - Beach 116 St INWOOD - 207 ST       07:19:00 Rockaway Park - Beach 116 St INWOOD - 207 ST       07:39:00 Rockaway Park - Beach 116 St INWOOD - 207 ST       07:59:00 Rockaway Park - Beach 116 St INWOOD - 207 ST
Edited by Union Tpke

16:03:30 168 St ROCKAWAY PARK - BEACH 116 ST

16:24:00 168 St ROCKAWAY PARK - BEACH 116 ST

16:43:00 168 St ROCKAWAY PARK - BEACH 116 ST

17:02:00 168 St ROCKAWAY PARK - BEACH 116 ST

17:16:00 Dyckman St ROCKAWAY PARK - BEACH 116 ST

http://boerumhillscott.com/transit/LineTrips.php

06:38:30 Rockaway Park - Beach 116 St INWOOD - 207 ST 06:59:00 Rockaway Park - Beach 116 St INWOOD - 207 ST 07:19:00 Rockaway Park - Beach 116 St INWOOD - 207 ST 07:39:00 Rockaway Park - Beach 116 St INWOOD - 207 ST 07:59:00 Rockaway Park - Beach 116 St INWOOD - 207 ST

Thanks,I don't ride the (A) so it's pretty rare for me to catch things like this

The Rockaway Line is my favorite part of the (A) route. Beautiful looking stations, the ride on the Rockaway Flats is fast going 45-50 mph and the views across Jamaica Bay and the Rockaways. It's even more beautiful in the winter with the snow. I also like the busy Rockaway beach crowds.

Could an (R) ever go via the (A)(C) (Liberty Av, Qns) from Queens Blvd (E)(F)(M)(R) ?

Yes.

Edited by RollOver

The Rockaway Line is my favorite part of the (A) route. Beautiful looking stations, the ride on the Rockaway Flats is fast going 45-50 mph and the views across Jamaica Bay and the Rockaways. It's even more beautiful in the winter with the snow. I also like the busy Rockaway beach crowds.

Yes.

Thanks and how? via a tunnel?

You go to Far Rock even during winter? LOL.

Had am amazing set on the (3) today wasted on a terrible op. 1406-1410 led, didn't catch the 2nd half. Empty train, absolutely jumped to 25 out of the stations. But this guy took 72-42, with nothing but greens, at 30mph. No throttle the time, with brakes on every hill. 34 to 14 we actually touched 35 before he slammed on the brakes, came through 18-14 at 25mph. Managed to bunch up service behind him too, which is really impressive.

Luckily had a great T/O on the (1) who knew how to move, managed to pull some speed even out of the short jumps, like 37 on 145-137.

Earlier this evening around 9:30, I was on a (2) going to Flatbush. After we left Franklin, we stopped for about a few minutes, then we pulled into Nostrand, which caused tons of confusion. The C/R announced that the train would terminate at Utica. Once there, that same train left going toward Manhattan as a (5).

Had am amazing set on the (3) today wasted on a terrible op. 1406-1410 led, didn't catch the 2nd half. Empty train, absolutely jumped to 25 out of the stations. But this guy took 72-42, with nothing but greens, at 30mph. No throttle the time, with brakes on every hill. 34 to 14 we actually touched 35 before he slammed on the brakes, came through 18-14 at 25mph. Managed to bunch up service behind him too, which is really impressive.

Luckily had a great T/O on the (1) who knew how to move, managed to pull some speed even out of the short jumps, like 37 on 145-137.

I had a T/O on the (4) on Saturday who wouldn't go past 25mph on P2 (power on 1-3 scale) once we got rerouted on the local track northbound at 14th to fill in a gap in (6) service.

It was as if he was trying to fall behind on purpose so control would give him a Skip, but it didn't work since we did make all the stops between 14th and 125th. Once we got past 125th he operated the train normally.

It took about an hour and 15 minutes to go from Atlantic to Fordham on that particular train (11:45pm-1am)