SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

I think it looks great as well. Its simple and it doesn't have to be something thats to over the top.

Still think the 41st street 10th avenue station is a miss on this project.

City didn't want/could not afford to pay for it.  The way to do it would have been to get the Port Authority to pay for it and have it run 9th-10th Avenues and with an exit into the back end of the PABT on 9th/41st.

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The (5) is still running as a Dyre Avenue shuttle on the 4:22, 4:42, and 4:59am trips, guess MTA doesn't want to fill the gap in overnight service between E 180 St and Bowling Green anymore like they used to do whenever the (5) runs to Manhattan overnight.

The '2' also has 16-20 minute headways after 10:26pm out of Dyre, The '5' out of 241 kept many of its riders to Manhattan, saving them a transfer from the (2) to the (4) at that time. The '2' from Dyre at 10:26 wasn't empty either, maybe the weekday (5) should run a bit longer to Manhattan (at least the 10:13 and 10:26 could be extended to Bowling Green and return to E 180 St to connect to an OPTO (5) shuttle since OPTO begins at 12am).

Do (E) trains always crawl between Grand Av and Forest Hills 71st?

Last night was on the (E) headed towards Kew Gardens and it slowed down at Grand Av then literally crawled to 71st.

I had left 42nd St, on an (E) which came in about 2-3 minutes after one had left. During the crawl the train announced we were slow/held due to train traffic.. And then at 71st it skipped 75th... Something must have happened last night I think unless its usual for it to crawl?

Do (E) trains always crawl between Grand Av and Forest Hills 71st?

Last night was on the (E) headed towards Kew Gardens and it slowed down at Grand Av then literally crawled to 71st.

I had left 42nd St, on an (E) which came in about 2-3 minutes after one had left. During the crawl the train announced we were slow/held due to train traffic.. And then at 71st it skipped 75th... Something must have happened last night I think unless its usual for it to crawl?

Queens Blvd trains are running slow due to track work until the beginning of September.

The MTA's getting ready for opening day of the (7) extension! They already peeled half the stickers off the R188's. Although some (7) will still terminate at Times Sq during rush hour and maybe late nights too like the East Division (J)(M) ends at Myrtle. Excited!

Edited by Priincenene

The MTA's getting ready for opening day of the (7) extension! They already peeled half the stickers off the R188's. Although some (7) will still terminate at Times Sq during rush hour and maybe late nights too like the East Division (J)(M) ends at Myrtle.

You know how much delays will occur? And btw that was a false rumor

Just how slow are the E/F going on the Jamaica-bound express track from 74th/Roosevelt to Forest Hills during this trackwork?  If I am on one of these "express" trains on the express track, is it so slow that it's better to get off at 74th/Roosevelt and wait for the next R/M (or E/F local) and then transfer back at 71st Ave?

Looks like one of the R62As on the (6) is broken. 1982 would not open any of it's doors AT ALL and no one was inside that car, yet as always, the (6) was like a sardine can. Couldn't as least some the passengers on the train be wise and use the storm doors to move into that same car?

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

Looks like one of the R62As on the (6) is broken. 1982 would not open any of it's doors AT ALL and no one was inside that car, yet as always, the (6) was like a sardine can. Couldn't as least some the passengers on the train be wise and use the storm doors to move into that same car?

I don't know of the policy in New York, but in Toronto, when that happens, it's usually because the car was unsanitary, such as if a person got sick in it or something. Could that have been what was going on?

I don't know of the policy in New York, but in Toronto, when that happens, it's usually because the car was unsanitary, such as if a person got sick in it or something. Could that have been what was going on?

Maybe, but from what I saw, not even a bum was in there. Don't get me wrong, maybe something did happen there, but what got me is that no doors opened at all, like it was one of the last cars of the (3) at 145 Street.

Maybe, but from what I saw, not even a bum was in there. Don't get me wrong, maybe something did happen there, but what got me is that no doors opened at all, like it was one of the last cars of the (3) at 145 Street.

That's what I was referring to. Again, I don't know the New York operational procedures, but in Toronto, if no doors open on a train it's because the car has been "isolated", or blocked off. Usually during rush hours when pulling the train from the line would result in problems, so they instead block off one car and take a look at it when the rush is over.

If the TA decides to do a night G.O or a weekend G.O on the  (7) shutting down service between Manhattan and Queens and the work is taking place east of Times Square. I could see them doing shuttle service between 34 St and Times Square. 

Edited by j express

That's what I was referring to. Again, I don't know the New York operational procedures, but in Toronto, if no doors open on a train it's because the car has been "isolated", or blocked off. Usually during rush hours when pulling the train from the line would result in problems, so they instead block off one car and take a look at it when the rush is over.

More than likely, the car was isolated. Same policy here in NYC

More than likely, the car was isolated. Same policy here in NYC

Oh I see. Thx guys.

It must have been a while since I rode a R62A (6) from the (1) because I just got on one with a (6) strip map.

I think most if not all of the VC Park loaners have 6 line strip maps on them.

Speaking of which, for those interested, 142A car 7559's line maps are practically untouched from their original installations in 2000. The only modification to them is that the "E 177 St" portion has been covered over like on all of the 142A line maps.

I heard the R143 might, not saying they will, go on the (M) in Sept along with an R32 too. If that happens, im assuming more R160's from FRESH POND Yard will go on the (L) and the (J) swapping with Canarsie (R143) and ENY yard (R32), since Fresh Pond is a small yard comparing to East New York Yard.

So maybe like this:

(J) R32 ENY Yard set > Swap with Fresh Pond Yard's R160 set(s)

(L) R143(s) Canarsie > Swap with Fresh Pond's 160(s)

IF it were to happen, this is my theory of how the swaps go. The (L) and (J) don't have to swap since they share with East New York Yard more often than the (M) does, and ENY has its own R143's the (L) use.

Edited by Priincenene

I heard the R143 might, not saying they will, go on the (M) in Sept along with an R32 too. If that happens, im assuming more R160's from FRESH POND Yard will go on the (L) and the (J) swapping with Canarsie (R143) and ENY yard (R32), since Fresh Pond is a small yard comparing to East New York Yard.

So maybe like this:

(J) R32 ENY Yard set > Swap with Fresh Pond Yard's R160 set(s)

(L) R143(s) Canarsie > Swap with Fresh Pond's 160(s)

IF it were to happen, this is my theory of how the swaps go.

I don't think the R32s can be even in fresh pond yard because 2 car drill in Fresh Pond Yard isn't feasible until they bring back the handswitchman job I think they will only be based out of ENY