SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Cutting the (G) back to Smith 9th St was a way the MTA could save money however due to construction it was extended to Church Ave. Since many people liked it the (G) was kept and the MTA was so close to cutting back to Smith 9th.

I never understood smith 9th st because the next stop was a transfer stop which meant that passengers would have to get off and wait for an (F) train to show up just to go one stop.

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never understood smith 9th st because the next stop was a transfer stop which meant that passengers would have to get off and wait for an (F) train to show up just to go one stop.

The (F) runs way more often than the (G) does. Two (F) trains for every (G) train. They recently made the (G) more frequent even though it still doesn't run like the schedule shows at times. I remember fanning the (G) and it was running on 15 minute head ways and three (F)'s came and right after the last (F) the (G) came.

So the (E) gets to 53 Street and 7 Avenue faster than the (R) gets to 57 Street–7 Avenue. I took the (E) from Queens Plaza and it left a few seconds after the (R) began pulling out. Missing the (B) at 7 Avenue by a few seconds, I decided to try running upstairs for the (N) or (Q) instead. It was only 2 blocks north along the pavement, and when I descended the stairs, the headlights of the (R) were already reflecting off the tiles of the station.

They really should consider building a free transfer between 7 Avenue/53 Street and 57 Street–7 Avenue. There are few transfer opportunities between the (E) and the Broadway lines. Times Square–42 Street is a horrendously tedious transfer. And Queens Plaza only serves the (E), (M), and (R).

So the (E) gets to 53 Street and 7 Avenue faster than the (R) gets to 57 Street–7 Avenue. I took the (E) from Queens Plaza and it left a few seconds after the (R) began pulling out. Missing the (B) at 7 Avenue by a few seconds, I decided to try running upstairs for the (N) or (Q) instead. It was only 2 blocks north along the pavement, and when I descended the stairs, the headlights of the (R) were already reflecting off the tiles of the station.

They really should consider building a free transfer between 7 Avenue/53 Street and 57 Street–7 Avenue. There are few transfer opportunities between the (E) and the Broadway lines. Times Square–42 Street is a horrendously tedious transfer. And Queens Plaza only serves the (E), (M), and (R).

Making a transfer is not possible at those two stations

Possible is not the correct word. Impractical is.

Engineering-wise, it is doable. Given the long walking distance of such a transfer, it isn't worth the money to construct.

It’s still much shorter than the walk between 42 Street–Port Authority Bus Terminal and Times Square–42 Street—by about a third. I reckon, the walk from the street-level entrance of Lexington Avenue–63 Street to one of the platforms is just as long.

It’s still much shorter than the walk between 42 Street–Port Authority Bus Terminal and Times Square–42 Street—by about a third. I reckon, the walk from the street-level entrance of Lexington Avenue–63 Street to one of the platforms is just as long.

The south mezzanine at 57/7 is at 55th St, so it would be a two-street walk. Quite long for a transfer passageway but not unheard of.

An out of system transfer can work.

I wonder if anyone at Transit realizes there's no audio to go along with the visual message about the elevators at Simpson St being out of service. The alert chimes play and the message scrolls across the CIS machines, but there's no audio in the stations. Then again, they did just get around to fixing the "new" message about litter and track fires for 2014 about a few months ago. And even then, the original version of the announcement (with the mid-sentence cut off) still plays at Grand Central, so yeah...

There is a crossover track ahead that can turn trains around...

There's a X crossover track that's located roughly 30 feet foward from Atlantic Av.

There's a switch south of Atlantic Avenue that can be used.

You can't miss this, Around the Horn. Two people felt it was necessary to post the same answer in a row, for a total of three answers in total.

You can't miss this, Around the Horn. Two people felt it was necessary to post the same answer in a row, for a total of three answers in total.

What do you mean by miss this? I just checked the thread now because I was eating Christmas cookies before lol...

Thanks to everyone who said that.I completely forgot about the crossover...