SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Would it have cost less money had the express tracks been on the outside of 4 track lines and the local on the inside for the subway lines with Mezzanines?

Each express station would have two island platforms as they do now, but the local stations would just have one island platform, less stairs needed, less signs, passenger cross overs would not be necessary.

What do you think?

the exits would have to be in the middle of the intersection which would be the problem.

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not the stations with Mezzanines

By having express tracks in the middle, the tracks can be as straight as possible. Notice how local stations curve around the platforms at both ends of typical express stations. Express tracks would have to curve, or be built with a buffer zone in between the local and express tracks between stations to keep them straight. That would've been more expensive.

Of course, with the Second Avenue Line, Flushing Line extension and all construction going forward, tracks will be getting their own tunnel anyway, so the whole point of where to put express tracks is moot.

Is the connection between 57/7 and 63rd/Lex out of service?

When I looked out the front window on the (F) (in both directions), the tunnel on the Broadway side seemed to be illuminated by bright lights and the tracks were cordoned off by red lights between the rails.

Does the switch at Essex St really being fixed or is the MTA just trying out the (M) to Chambers for the fun of it?

You never know. Sometimes they say there’s construction going on, but passing by out-of-service tracks, you couldn’t tell since there’s practically no worker in sight. Other times, they’re so focused on getting work done that workers spill over the flagged zone and slow down train traffic on tracks that they have no business being near.

Yeah, agreed.

I ride the (J) train regularly. Hardly do I ever see work being done in the area. Maybe I'm wrong. The least they could do is shut down the Jamaica Line between Hewes and Essex if they are willing to restore the switch between the westbound track and the middle track at Essex. But I, for one, actually like the weekend (M) extension to/from Chambers since Summer 2015 last year.

Edited by RollOver

Btw, what's this boarding change on the (C) line that everyone's talking about?

The train stops closer to the exits at some stations.

Broadway Junction for example. Southbound, they stop at the end of the platform now (again). Pretty safe to assume they stop further back going north.

I agree with RollOver, I like the weekend M extension. To me, it just seems that the MTA likes this (M) extension and is just playing it off as a G.O.

While you may think that, that is simply not the case. The switch is still OOS and will be fixed the next time there is no (J)(M) over the Williamsburg Bridge. Till then the (M) runs to Chambers.

Btw, what's this boarding change on the (C) line that everyone's talking about?

The train stops closer to the exits at some stations.

Broadway Junction for example. Southbound, they stop at the end of the platform now (again). Pretty safe to assume they stop further back going north.

They still have northbound (C) trains stop at the 8-car marker at Broadway Junction (meaning it leaves a 60 feet gap in both the front and the rear), as well as Columbus Circle and 116 Street.

But yeah, in general, the train does stop all the way at the front in both directions at stations that only have on an exit at either the front or the rear. I was quite surprised (C) trains now stop all the way at the front at Nostrand (southbound) and 96 Street (northbound).

I agree with RollOver, I like the weekend M extension. To me, it just seems that the MTA likes this (M) extension and is just playing it off as a G.O.

Though if they are going to do that, they would be better off running the (M) to West 4th on Weekends as that would be one less stop and also provide transfers to the (D)(F)(6) at Broadway-Lafayette and the (A)(C)(E) as well as the (D) and (F).  It would mean going north the (D) and (M) would have to cross between Broadway-Lafayette and West 4th and southbound just north of West 4th (as the (M) would use the express tracks at West 4 to terminate/turn in this) AND the (D) would have to cross back to the express track between 34th and 42nd, but it would give the (M) a better weekend terminal and also give riders at 14th (a key transfer point) and 23rd additional weekend service with the (D) (that would still be express 59th-145th on weekends).  

Though if they are going to do that, they would be better off running the (M) to West 4th on Weekends as that would be one less stop and also provide transfers to the (D)(F)(6) at Broadway-Lafayette and the (A)(C)(E) as well as the (D) and (F).  It would mean going north the (D) and (M) would have to cross between Broadway-Lafayette and West 4th and southbound just north of West 4th (as the (M) would use the express tracks at West 4 to terminate/turn in this) AND the (D) would have to cross back to the express track between 34th and 42nd, but it would give the (M) a better weekend terminal and also give riders at 14th (a key transfer point) and 23rd additional weekend service with the (D) (that would still be express 59th-145th on weekends).  

The transfer to the (4)(5)(N)(Q)(R) is arguably more useful; the transfer to the (F) is already available at Delancey Street–Essex Street.

I’ve also seen the Subchat thread and the arguments on it. I’m 100% sure that using West 4 Street–Washington Square as a terminal is a bad idea.

Take a shot every time he does, you'll slightly comprehend it better lol

That may be, but I'd rather not die of alcohol poisoning.

As for the idea, the likelihood of the MTA using W 4 Street as a regular service terminal is almost non-existent. Making that station a terminal will force the (D) to the local track, which will delay both the (D) and (F) trains due to the nature of the track layout. I swear, for all the complaining of the switching mess on the Broadway line, some people are extremely eager to replicate that on 6th Avenue.

Regarding the ongoing "service change" on the (M) line, I read that it's a specialized switch that needs to be replaced at Delancey-Essex Sts. I wouldn't complain though. We did get the service improvement we were promised in 2008, so why look a gift horse in the mouth. The longer it takes for the MTA to fix this, the harder it will be to cancel the service.

That may be, but I'd rather not die of alcohol poisoning.

As for the idea, the likelihood of the MTA using W 4 Street as a regular service terminal is almost non-existent. Making that station a terminal will force the (D) to the local track, which will delay both the (D) and (F) trains due to the nature of the track layout. I swear, for all the complaining of the switching mess on the Broadway line, some people are extremely eager to replicate that on 6th Avenue.

Regarding the ongoing "service change" on the (M) line, I read that it's a specialized switch that needs to be replaced at Delancey-Essex Sts. I wouldn't complain though. We did get the service improvement we were promised in 2008, so why look a gift horse in the mouth. The longer it takes for the MTA to fix this, the harder it will be to cancel the service.

Except we are talking about weekends, when the trains are far less frequent than during the week.  This increases service to 14th and 23rd on 6th Avenue since it means the (D) would be stopping at those stations in addition to the (F).