SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some conductors take it upon themselves to create cross-platform transfer opportunities even though it wouldn’t make sense. Today’s (B) waited at Kings Highway for a (Q) that it passed by at Avenue M. I saw that there was another (Q) that just left Kings Highway. So to help the (Q) folks skip 2 stops, this conductor would risk screwing the (B) passengers out of the opportunity to catch the (Q) up ahead.

Thankfully, the train operator was so damn slow on the leading (Q). We caught up at Sheepshead Bay.

My (F) held at Jay St around 01:30 for a minute or so while police officers standing at each car interval got in and checked the cars out. I assume they're looking for a certain individual? Evidently they didn't find him, because we left and they returned to the platform empty-handed.

The railroads will shut down at 4pm. The MTA will try to run as much service on the subway as possible.

As of this post, the following lines are not running:

(5) E 180 Street to Dyre Av

(A) Rockaway Blvd to Far Rockaway

(N) 59 Street to Stillwell Av

(Q) Canal St to Stillwell Av

(S) Franklin Ave

(S) Rockaway Park

A map has been posted on the MTA website for the service running until further notice (EDIT: looks like somebody beat me to it, lol).

http://alert.mta.info/sites/default/files/Underground%20Map%20with%20Service%20Guide.pdf

Most of Southern Brooklyn, the Rockaways, most of the Northeast and the Northwest Bronx, and Staten Island have no public transit options at this time (essentially locked in where they are).

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

Just see this on YouTube, not something that happens very often :)

I love me some Siemens! Best propulsion on the R160, blows that annoying Alstom out of the water!

So this is what the subways will be after 4PM?

I ask because the (Q) was running between Whitehall and 57 St (this was around 2 PM).

I felt bad for three people in my car (very nice people- had a chat with them) trying to get to Avenue J.

Edited by Around the Horn

My (F) held at Jay St around 01:30 for a minute or so while police officers standing at each car interval got in and checked the cars out. I assume they're looking for a certain individual? Evidently they didn't find him, because we left and they returned to the platform empty-handed.

Nope... Just cops checking if people were crossing between cars or occupying more than one seat.

I wish I was kidding but I'm not.

Does anyone want to take a shot at finding all the mistakes on the temporary map? I found quite a few already.

Underground_Mapw_Service_Guide_min.png

• Have a look at the stations along Queens Boulevard between Queens Plaza and Jackson Heights–Roosevelt Avenue.  ;) (Are they stations without names or are they newly-built platforms?)

• The “ (3) 148 St–138 St, Shuttle” (They must mean 135 Street.)

• 36 St
    D • N • R (The (D) does not stop here!)

• DeKalb Av
    B • Q • R (Where is the (N)?)
Edited by CenSin

Apparently, the (N) is replicating the (R) for its entire modified segment. From 59th Street/4th Avenue to 59th Street/Lex via the (R) tunnel. Could it be more logical to just suspend the (N) altogether, like the (Q)? Or even:

Have the (N) run via (R) from Continental to 59th/4th (back during Sandy, the (M) terminated at Jamaica Center), while the (R) runs its Bay Ridge shuttle all day.

Edited by MichalkaManiac

Good luck trying to transfer to the LIRR at Hunterspoint or Penn (and Metro-North at Grand Central).

Funny thing is, when the Night Map was first released in January 2012, it also erroneously showed the Hunterspoint and LIC LIRR connections, but has since been removed in current revisions. Also the most recent version of the Night Map (September 2015), which added 34th St (7), also restored the (N) stop at Jay Street, which had still been missing during its September 2014 revision to reflect the Montague Tubes' reopening. So this shouldn't be much of a surprise. The (MTA) needed to take lots of work in doing this, and they were bound to bypass some blunders along the way.

Edited by MichalkaManiac

Funny thing is, when the Night Map was first released in January 2012, it also erroneously showed the Hunterspoint and LIC LIRR connections, but has since been removed in current revisions. Also the most recent version of the Night Map (September 2015), which added 34th St (7), also restored the (N) stop at Jay Street, which had still been missing during its September 2014 revision to reflect the Montague Tubes' reopening. So this shouldn't be much of a surprise. The (MTA) needed to take lots of work in doing this, and they were bound to bypass some blunders along the way.

I’ve already done this kind of work before as a hobby. There’s not that much work when edits like this are made. Most of the work is drawing the lines and putting in the station names in the first place.

Does anyone want to take a shot at finding all the mistakes on the temporary map? I found quite a few already.

• Have a look at the stations along Queens Boulevard between Queens Plaza and Jackson Heights–Roosevelt Avenue.  ;) (Are they stations without names or are they newly-built platforms?)

I suppose that's their half-assed way of showing local service. They didn't want to or didn't have the artistic ability to move the lines that show the E and F, so they just added dots to indicate stops along the local tracks. Design brilliance it is not.

Depends, think they can take care of the ice and snow on the tracks in three hours?

I would assume that they would have deicer/snow blower/ghost trains running around the shut down lines to prevent ice/snow from settling in, no....? (Of course, I could be naively wrong, so please correct me if I am)