SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a reminder to everybody that despite some confused--but still sure of themselves--people's remarks, it is completely legal to walk around outside today. It is driving that will lead to a fine, not walking. Surprised anybody even failed to understand this. 

Edited by MHV9218

MTA Service Status

Service Change  Posted: 01/24/2016  4:39PM

Due to NYC Transit Cold Weather Plan, the following service changes are in effect:

e.png trains are running local between Queens Plaza and Kew Gardens-Union Tpke in both directions.

f.png trains are running local between 36 St (Qns) and Forest Hills-71 Av in both directions.

Allow additional travel time.

Service Change  Posted: 01/24/2016  4:35PM

Due to NYCT's Cold Weather Plan, a.png train service will operate as follows:

a.png train service between Rockaway Blvd and Far Rockaway-Mott Av is restored in both directions.

a.png trains are running local between Inwood-207 St and Ozone Park-Lefferts Blvd in both directions.

Service Change  Posted: 01/24/2016  4:26PM

Due to NYCT's Cold Weather Plan, c.png train service is suspended in both directions.

a.png trains are making all local stops.

http://alert.mta.info/status/subway/ACE/24227866

I have a huge question. ..been doubtful of this situation

When i take the (F) trains late at night i can see many (R) trains stored as resting (between 169 st and 75 ave) due for returning service ontime for the day beginning runs

Now the question I'm asking is how does the motorman exit (or enter if to begin service next day) the stored (R) trains does it wait for a next upcoming (R) train and thus uses the doors between the end peak of the trains and keeps walking until it reaches a nearby subway station. ..forgetting it has to jump in and out as an acrobat since the door and the tracks are 150 cm high (almost a height of a normal human being) ...also that same question goes backwards when beginning service next day

Or does it await a garbage car train and laps between the parked (R) trains and the garbage trains

Help me resolve this doubt

Can someone please explain what bellmouth is to me? I keep hearing it on QBL and at Bay Ridge, what is it??

It's an incomplete segment of a line, built for in case a line was t be made in the future. Ex. the two unused tunnels between Roosevelt island and Lex-63rd that will connect to 2 av in the future.

Is the connection between 57/7 and 63rd/Lex out of service? 

No. It's perfectly usable. Rerouted (R) trains will still use the line sometimes in an emergency, and they just switch to the Queens-bound line right outside Lex Av-63 St station, like always. 

Edit: Better 10 days late than never. 

Edited by Mysterious2train

I was waited almost an hour for the (A) train during the aftermath of the blizzard. A T/O who was about to go on duty started a conversation with me (just to pass time, I guess) and said that he hated the NTTs because they couldn't get through snow, while cars like the 68s could easily just plow through snow. What do the T/Os here think about what he said?

Today I had the weirdest commute.

I got up from my friends house in Flushing (had to crash over there since Sunday since the city was a mess) to go to Westchester. I choose to take the (7) instead of LIRR, railfanner instincts :P , and went to Main St. There was a R188 waiting to depart to Manhattan, and I got on 7881. The train wasn't signed up as anything, which I thought at first was because it had recently came from Corona. The doors closed and we departed, and right by when we reached the end of the tunnel, and I don't know if this was the conductor playing around, the sign suddenly got signed up as:

(S) LAST STOP

I quickly fumbled for my phone to find out the thing died on me (Should not have been binge-watching...). I couldn't see the exterior signs since...well I was inside of the car. When we stop at Mets - Willets Point and the doors open, the announcement started like this:

"This is Times Sq - 42 St bound (S) tra-"

which was then replaced by a sort of DING then some crackling noises. The doors closed and we continued on to 111 St. Next thing I know, the LED signs are now flashing green on one side and red on the other side, and the strip maps are flashing on and off. I knew that this was some sort of bug or some sort of test program for the R188. When we got to 111 St, the doors opened and no announcements played and just closed, without even saying "STAND CLEAR..."

When we left, the flashing stopped, and it remained like that for a minute until a (7) appeared on the LED Signs, but only a (7) appeared, no "TO 34 ST" or "THE NEXT STOP IS". When the train stopped at 103 St, the announcement came on, but like this:

"This is a Que-----This is a Manhatta-----This is a Manhatta-----This is a Manhattan Bound (7) local train. The Next Stop Is, Junction Blvd"

And then the signs finally came on and everything got programmed correctly. But I have a question, is the flashing strip maps and LED signs a bug or a test?

Today I rode an 143 (L), transferred at Broadway Junction to the (J) which also was a 143.. Been wanting to get that combo since the (J) got 143s...

After I did what I had to do, I could have had the 143 (J) going back home but I had to refill my metrocard and missed it, the next (J) was a 160 though, rare to get a NTT both ways on the (J) these days.

Edited by trainfan22

There was a R188 waiting to depart to Manhattan, and I got on 7881. The train wasn't signed up as anything, which I thought at first was because it had recently came from Corona. The doors closed and we departed, and right by when we reached the end of the tunnel, and I don't know if this was the conductor playing around, the sign suddenly got signed up as:

(S) LAST STOP

Man that car is having all kinds of programming fun lmfao. Ah wish I could've caught that, it's my favorite R188 too so that would've been cool to see. Caught it signed up as a Vernon-Jackson bound (7) last week. Seeing it signed as a shuttle would've been cool though.

No its OOS right now until further notice.

Just a yesterday, several northbound R's were rerouted via 6th Ave and then to the 63rd St line on G4 track. I rode one.

The connection between Lex-63 and 57/7 is not out of service.

G4 and G3 (I.E. on both levels under 63rd St) are out of service only east of the crossover between the Broadway-bound and 6th Ave-bound tracks. 

Edited by Dj Hammers