SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

5 hours ago, CenSin said:

Ah… the indignities one has to suffer through for a non-one-seat ride… missing the first cross-platform transfer by 3 seconds, then missing the second one (backup transfer point) by a minute, and then getting held for a train to cross ahead. Now I gotta walk two avenues across town.

Can’t blame people for holding on to their one-seat ride so strongly now…

And sometimes holding doors.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The MTA currently has the (J) running with delays because of maintenance at the Manhattan bridge….. anyone see the error here or is it only me… it’s posted on the website as of 4:38 PM don’t know if they’ll change such error

Edit: As of now it has changed to “Williamsburg bridge”

Edited by Chris89292

2 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

And sometimes holding doors.

Funny, because that was partly the reason for the missed transfer. Those doors were kept open for a few seconds longer—just long enough for the conductor across the platform to give us the (figurative) middle finger.

So far, the (A) and (C) uses both R179s and R211s. However, there are differences to each of the class cars that they use. The R46s are shared and the R211T is out of Pitkin Yard. 

Edited by Calvin

There hasn't been any R160s from ENY running on the (C) this week. Maybe 1 is out but, yesterday, with the R211T running, there were R46s and R179s (both from its own 207 St Yard and a few sets out of ENY). 

23 hours ago, Calvin said:

There hasn't been any R160s from ENY running on the (C) this week. Maybe 1 is out but, yesterday, with the R211T running, there were R46s and R179s (both from its own 207 St Yard and a few sets out of ENY). 

There was one I think on Monday. I saw it when I came into 168 St on the (A) train that was terminating there on the (C) train track and the R160 was on the downtown track (8389-8392 as the front part, and I think 8501-8504 as the second half.

The time-honored tradition of peering down the tunnel to see if a train is coming apparently does not work at 34 Street–Penn Station ((A)(C)(E))… looking into the tunnel, trains coming in southbound aren’t always apparent until they are already entering the station.

There’s no more R160s running on the (C) (again, last assignment was the R32 shuffle as 8593-8652, 9943-9974) reflecting back from the past update. The last one ran did ran in service last Monday (8393-8396/8509-8512) and was swapped out with a ENY R179 (3074-3077/3110-3113) before the first day of February and first day of R211T in passenger service . 

For now, the fleet of the (A)(C) are mixed of R46s, R179s (5-car for the A and Shuttle with 4-car for the C) and R211s (the T is only for the C, the standard is for the A).  The (J)(Z) still uses the R179 but not much. 

Edited by Calvin

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

There’s no more R160s running on the (C) (again, last assignment was the R32 shuffle as 8593-8652, 9943-9974) reflecting back from the past update. The last one ran did ran in service last Monday (8393-8396/8509-8512) and was swapped out with a ENY R179 (3074-3077/3110-3113) before the first day of February and first day of R211T in passenger service . 

For now, the fleet of the (A)(C) are mixed of R46s, R179s (5-car for the A and Shuttle with 4-car for the C) and R211s (the T is only for the C, the standard is for the A).  The (J)(Z) still uses the R179 but not much. 

I’m guessing the Ts will not run on the A for a while. Also will 3074-3077/3110-3113 be permanently stationed at pitkin?

31 minutes ago, TyBusLover1 said:

I’m guessing the Ts will not run on the A for a while. Also will 3074-3077/3110-3113 be permanently stationed at pitkin?

207 St for maintenance but loaned due to the (M) route shortened and lots of spare trains at ENY . It's stored at Pitkin for the overnight hours.  

Edited by Calvin

On 2/2/2024 at 5:46 PM, Calvin said:

The Knightscope K5 security robot that used to be at the Times Square-42 St station has been retired from use. 

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/nyc-retires-420-pound-nypd-subway-surveilling-robot-after-pilot-ends/5099973/

Send K5 to the pharmacies to catch thieves, or install stun lasers to position him behind the MVMs to stun fare beaters. Or better yet, enact facial recognition technology and send them to stop and stop to assist the Martys 

Edited by darkstar8983

On 2/6/2024 at 6:37 AM, darkstar8983 said:

Send K5 to the pharmacies to catch thieves, or install stun lasers to position him behind the MVMs to stun fare beaters. Or better yet, enact facial recognition technology and send them to stop and stop to assist the Martys 

(Late reply) Yeah, they shouldn’t just throw the k5s away because they are still useful. (But not the reasons you suggested. lol)

2 hours ago, Far rockaway said:

Does anybody think if the MTA would run the TOMC for the Mets home opener.

They can if it’s only using the express track, apparently there was supposed to be a red bird train run on the 7 on November 2023, but was cancelled due to various projects being done on the 7 right now, especially the Woodside station, where express trains aren’t available 

The 7:03 PM SIR train from St George to Great Kills will not run.

The 7:01 PM SIR train from St George to Tottenville will make all local stops.

We're running as much service as we can with the trains we have available.

I guess if this is any indication as to how those R44's are performing, this is it. Notice how they say trains we have available lol and not crews we have available. 

7 hours ago, zacster said:

Does CBTC on the 7 allow the TOMC to run?  Even on the express?  It still has to run the section from 34th to QBP.

Anything can go on CBTC activated lines, it'll just be under CBTC bypass using the provided signals along the corridor.

23 hours ago, Vulturious said:

Anything can go on CBTC activated lines, it'll just be under CBTC bypass using the provided signals along the corridor.

It just that there aren't as many signals along the line, and the CBTC activated trains before and after the TOMC will need to operate very spaced out, I'm assuming. Same thing happened when an R46 from the (N) had to be rerouted via Queens Blvd due to an issue on the Astoria Line and the train was already in the 60 St tunnel.

Although some conductors appear to be really irritable when tourists ask questions, you do have to give them credit (and train operators) for getting people from point A to point B. I mention this because i didn't really think about how frustrating it must be for them when their assigned train gets rerouted to another terminal, even after traveling the majority of the line and getting very close to their terminal. If the train doesn't make it to its assigned terminal, that same crew must turn that train around (even if it's a terminal to another route) and return the train to the other end of the line in order to get relieved (with no lunch / bathroom breaks). And delays even arriving to their native terminal cuts into their lunch / break time, even if there are other spare crews on standby at the terminal. 

i.e. A sick passenger delays (A) (C) service and therefore, make the train 25+ minutes late arriving at their terminal. If the crew's normal "break" is 40 minutes, that means they only get 15 mins. 

i.e. A northbound (N) train bound for Astoria arrives at 57 St-7 Av, but then gets rerouted to 96 St-2 Av, making that same crew return the train to Coney Island, even if the crew was supposed too finish their shift at Ditmars Blvd.

Actually now that i mention this, how do crews operate the SCHEDULED 96 St-2 Av trips on the (N)(R) during rush hours. Does that same crew return the train southbound, or is there a scheduled relief crew for these specific crews (the 96 St (R) trip that changes over to the (Q) and the (N) trips that return to CI. )?

Edited by darkstar8983

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

Aren’t the end doors on the R44 SIROTA fleet suppose to be unlocked?

Yes, but there’s a station restriction to have certain doors open at Clifton. Hence how they are open and close. 

Recently, around 5:20 PM, there was a shooting at a (4) train station, Mount Eden Av. Both sides will have trains skipping this station. Thoughts and prayers to those at or passed that station, 6 people were injured: one was killed and five wounded. 

https://abcnews.go.com/US/6-shot-bronx-subway-station-sources/story?id=107171649https%3A%2F%2Fabcnews.go.com%2FUS%2F6-shot-bronx-subway-station-sources%2Fstory%3Fid%3D107171649&fbclid=IwAR2vzGFaJM6EcKsSI3XO9GGsYuaytmKpVqLXOOlJ03HSC4QrqwIrGbPzN5A

Edited by Calvin