SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Vulturious said:

https://gothamist.com/news/politicians-demand-bigger-g-train-upgrades-during-summer-shutdown-of-line

I'm glad we're not hearing much of, "Don't shutdown the (G), do something similar like the (L)," or whatever along those lines (pun entirely intended) from politicians and instead are asking for something in return. 

I always said the (G) should run to 179th St as soon as the (M) stops running to keep local service patterns even on Queens Blvd.

1 hour ago, slantfan4281 said:

Why does the (Q) run local on Broadway overnight when the (D) runs express on CPW? Is ridership that high overnight? With the (N) via Montague overnight couldn't you leave the tower unstaffed if the express tracks are left at the bridge and SAS positions? 

Think it has to do with the length of the route. The (D) is much longer than the (Q) so to better reliability overnight, it runs express so it doesn't have to merge with the (A) and the (F) in Manhattan like it has to do with the (N)(R) in Brooklyn. 

Part of the idea of the Q local overnight is that you weren't stuck waiting at the local station while a Q express zipped by, and then have to wait 20 minutes for the next Q.  It is only 5 extra stops.  Also the transfer at Canal if you get on at Prince or 8th is a PITA.  And it goes the same for northbound as southbound.  It is like the old QB service before Chrystie.

Edited by zacster

47 minutes ago, BreeddekalbL said:

Why is someone posting rumors on Facebook about the G going back to Queens blvd

Because there was a Gothamist article I posted earlier in this page that had politicians wanting to see the return to QBL after CBTC construction for the full time shutdown if it were to occur.

On 1/24/2024 at 1:03 PM, Vulturious said:

https://gothamist.com/news/politicians-demand-bigger-g-train-upgrades-during-summer-shutdown-of-line

I'm glad we're not hearing much of, "Don't shutdown the (G), do something similar like the (L)," or whatever along those lines (pun entirely intended) from politicians and instead are asking for something in return. 

I agree 100% with them. Demand something in return. I would say just allow the (G) to run to queens on Weekends and late nights after 12am. In terms of the (G) going full length, That needs to happen once this is done. It's a good trade off and i'm glad the politicians are speaking up that would benefit (G)  riders unlike the (L) riders who were whining over a tube shutdown to the point governor coumo got involved and screwed everything up.

Edited by R32 3838

15 hours ago, slantfan4281 said:

Why does the (Q) run local on Broadway overnight when the (D) runs express on CPW? Is ridership that high overnight? With the (N) via Montague overnight couldn't you leave the tower unstaffed if the express tracks are left at the bridge and SAS positions? 

14 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

Think it has to do with the length of the route. The (D) is much longer than the (Q) so to better reliability overnight, it runs express so it doesn't have to merge with the (A) and the (F) in Manhattan like it has to do with the (N)(R) in Brooklyn. 

10 hours ago, zacster said:

Part of the idea of the Q local overnight is that you weren't stuck waiting at the local station while a Q express zipped by, and then have to wait 20 minutes for the next Q.  It is only 5 extra stops.  Also the transfer at Canal if you get on at Prince or 8th is a PITA.  And it goes the same for northbound as southbound.  It is like the old QB service before Chrystie.

Central Park is closed overnights and almost everyone on the (D) are heading to/from the Bronx anyways. The (Q) overnights has to run local on Broadway above Canal St just in case anyone who is coming home from work or vice-versa need Brighton or 2 Av service. The (F) overnights will likely revert back to running express on Queens Blvd when all the CBTC project on said line is over and done with at long last.

Edited by Jemorie

The (MTA) and the city really need to do something about the homeless and drug addicts hanging out on the edges of stations on the (1) line. 181st is pretty bad with some making it their own personal bathroom and the needles that keep piling up on the tracks. I feel for the train operators that manage to get a sniff of the station ends.

1 hour ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

The (MTA) and the city really need to do something about the homeless and drug addicts hanging out on the edges of stations on the (1) line. 181st is pretty bad with some making it their own personal bathroom and the needles that keep piling up on the tracks. I feel for the train operators that manage to get a sniff of the station ends.

Been like that off and on since the early eighties. Nothing really changes except the dates. Carry on.

So I’ve been thinking about how people demand for longer (G) Trains and how the (MTA) claims there’s not enough trains to run 10 Car (G) Trains, so I decided to do some math.

Currently, all 5 Car R-160’s are assigned to Jamaica Yard, so thats 1,290 Cars in total. As far as how many Trains are needed on Each Line, here’s the following as of now:

(E) - 26 Trains (260 Cars) in both the AM and PM Rush Hour.

(F) - 45 Trains (450 Cars) in the AM Rush and 46 Trains (460 Cars) in the PM Rush Hour.

(G) - 13 Trains (65 Cars) in both the AM and PM Rush Hour. 

(R) - 31 Trains (310 Cars) in both the AM and PM Rush Hour.

With all this considered. 1,085 Cars out of the 1,290 R-160’s are used during the AM Rush Hour with 1,095 Cars out of the 1,290 R-160’s are used during the PM Rush. Which leaves a Spare Factor of 195-205 Cars in case a train were to go OOS for whatever reason.

Now lengthen the (G) Train to 10 Cars Long and let’s assume you don’t adjust the level of Service on the line. Now the Spare Factor of trains sitting a Jamaica/Culver Yards reduce from 195-205 Cars down to 130–140 Cars. Could it be that those who are in charge over at Car Equipment determined that this spare count factor is too low for Jamaica Yard and is the reason why the (G) Still runs 5 Car Trains?

2 hours ago, LGA Link N Train said:

So I’ve been thinking about how people demand for longer (G) Trains and how the (MTA) claims there’s not enough trains to run 10 Car (G) Trains, so I decided to do some math.

Currently, all 5 Car R-160’s are assigned to Jamaica Yard, so thats 1,290 Cars in total. As far as how many Trains are needed on Each Line, here’s the following as of now:

(F) - 45 Trains (450 Cars) in the AM Rush and 46 Trains (460 Cars) in the PM Rush Hour.

With all this considered. 1,085 Cars out of the 1,290 R-160’s are used during the AM Rush Hour with 1,095 Cars out of the 1,290 R-160’s are used during the PM Rush. Which leaves a Spare Factor of 195-205 Cars in case a train were to go OOS for whatever reason.

Now lengthen the (G) Train to 10 Cars Long and let’s assume you don’t adjust the level of Service on the line. Now the Spare Factor of trains sitting a Jamaica/Culver Yards reduce from 195-205 Cars down to 130–140 Cars. Could it be that those who are in charge over at Car Equipment determined that this spare count factor is too low for Jamaica Yard and is the reason why the (G) Still runs 5 Car Trains?

Even with the current service level the spare factor is too low. The (E) only has a spare factor of 6 trains, while the (R) has a spare factor of 7 trains. Technically the (F) would have had a spare factor of 8 trains (if it weren’t for the <F>) but this spare factor needs to be shared with the (G). CBTC lines should have a spare factor of 7 trains minimum (which the (M) also usually has)

2 hours ago, LGA Link N Train said:

Jamaica needs a high spare factor due to CBTC so if a train fails and the CBTC acts up, they will have a spare ready to go. ENY does the same with the (L) and (M) fleets and the spares are typically used on the (G) (Jamaica spares) the (J) and (Z) (ENY R143s and R160s)

Also Maintenance and SMS work also plays a role. They are finally SMS'ing the 9803-9942 group of R160s since those haven't been touched since they were brand new. Almost 15 years without a SMS while the rest of the R160 fleet got SMS'ed. 

If the (G) did go 10 cars and to forest hills Jamaica would either get a large batch of R211s in the future or R179s which are 130 cars (10 car units) for additional service.

6 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

Jamaica needs a high spare factor due to CBTC so if a train fails and the CBTC acts up, they will have a spare ready to go. ENY does the same with the (L) and (M) fleets and the spares are typically used on the (G) (Jamaica spares) the (J) and (Z) (ENY R143s and R160s)

Also Maintenance and SMS work also plays a role. They are finally SMS'ing the 9803-9942 group of R160s since those haven't been touched since they were brand new. Almost 15 years without a SMS while the rest of the R160 fleet got SMS'ed. 

If the (G) did go 10 cars and to forest hills Jamaica would either get a large batch of R211s in the future or R179s which are 130 cars (10 car units) for additional service.

I think regardless, Jamaica is getting more cars - (expanded (G) train length or frequency boosts for the (E)(F)). Would make sense for the R179s to go to the (G) for this purpose, and have all 8-car 179s to the (J) and finally make sure ENY has enough NTT cars for the foreseeable future until the R143 replacements.

12 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

I think regardless, Jamaica is getting more cars - (expanded (G) train length or frequency boosts for the (E)(F)). Would make sense for the R179s to go to the (G) for this purpose, and have all 8-car 179s to the (J) and finally make sure ENY has enough NTT cars for the foreseeable future until the R143 replacements.

So the A/C will be full 211 in this situation?

4 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

Yep, in this hypothetical scenario, with the remaining cars to the (B)(D)

It's not set in stone that the R211s are going to coney, Concourse for the (D) makes sense while CI getting the R160s back makes more sense for the (B) (N) (Q) and (W) lines (yes Broadway will still use techs, just a handful since the majority of the fleet would be on the (B)).

As for the R179s, it's up in the air but it's likely they would stay where they are.

7 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

It's not set in stone that the R211s are going to coney, Concourse for the (D) makes sense while CI getting the R160s back makes more sense for the (B) (N) (Q) and (W) lines (yes Broadway will still use techs, just a handful since the majority of the fleet would be on the (B)).

As for the R179s, it's up in the air but it's likely they would stay where they are.

Sorry I was in a rush when I typed my response. I meant in terms of car totals the NTTs will fill up the (B)(D) with the arrival of R211s. Whether the NTTs to the 6 Av Express will be R211s or R160s is still not known.

Ah… the indignities one has to suffer through for a non-one-seat ride… missing the first cross-platform transfer by 3 seconds, then missing the second one (backup transfer point) by a minute, and then getting held for a train to cross ahead. Now I gotta walk two avenues across town.

Can’t blame people for holding on to their one-seat ride so strongly now…

Edited by CenSin