SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ale188 said:

Isn't R142 6381-85 with 6766-70?

They don't merge the R142 units on the (2) (5) like that. 6301-6345, 6351-6715 are mated with each other because they are out of 239 St Yard while 6716-7130 are at East 180 Street Yard. 

8 minutes ago, Calvin said:

They don't merge the R142 units on the (2) (5) like that. 6301-6345, 6351-6715 are mated with each other because they are out of 239 St Yard while 6716-7130 are at East 180 Street Yard. 

Fair point. Obviously not al 239 sets run on the 2 and not all 180 sets run on the 5.

2 minutes ago, shiznit1987 said:

For what it's worth, QB service has *never* been this smooth with both the (E) and (F) running along 53rd st. i am going to miss this GO badly...

I'm not, The Lack of the (M) train really sucks with the (R) being very terrible. But the (E) and (F) via 53rd isn't bad but the only downside is that it causes a reduction of (E) service as it uses 22 trains vs 26 and the (F) slightly got reduced as well as it lost like 2-4 sets.

2 hours ago, shiznit1987 said:

For what it's worth, QB service has *never* been this smooth with both the (E) and (F) running along 53rd st. i am going to miss this GO badly...

The people in Queens would like a word with you.

Local service on Queens Blvd has been abysmal with the lack of the (M). Hundreds of people having been demanding the (MTA) to restore the (G) in it's place just because of how bad it is over there.

13 hours ago, Calvin said:

I beg the differ..Theres a few times i saw  (2)(5) units mated together...Last month i saw 6411-6415 with 6860-6856 on the (2)

Edited by biGC323232

I’m so happy that almost all of the R68s and R68As have gotten the LED lights. Now, I hope the leftover R62As on the (1) and (6) would get them. I also hope all of the R62s on the (3) get them as well. I know it’ll all take a while.

I still kinda wish LED in general was a thing from jump though. LED is just so much better.

2 Things

1. Nobody answered my question about 142s 6381-85 (well, Calvin sorta did). What set is that with? Was it with 6766-70? If so, was it with that set on 2/18? If not, what set is it with?

2. There is no southbound (A)(C) service from Manhattan to Brooklyn.

For service to Brooklyn, take a (B)(D) or (F) train at W 4 St.

What's Happening?

Trains are delayed while we investigate why a train's brakes activated at Hoyt-Schermerhorn Sts.

Service Changes:

Southbound (A)(C) trains will end at World Trade Center (E) or 2 Av (F)

“I'm just waiting for someone to sue because the exterior bellows prevent them from climbing on top of the train to "surf."”

there is a lady, whose son was killed while surfing the (J) train last year, is suing Tik Tok, Meta & (MTA) for the death. That was his fault. Nobody told him to be like Spider-Man and stand on top of the subway car. Cars to shake, rattle and roll as they go from station to station stop suddenly. Standing still on the top is not your favorite spot, it stops suddenly, you lose control and you fall, and there’s your demise. The ones that suffer is your surviving members of your family because you choose to stand on top of the subway car. Too dangerous and too risky. Let Hollywood take care of the stunts. You are not an actor or actress. You’re just young to realize what has happened. His death was recent talked about that lead to the fight on the pilot R211’s first day of service. His girlfriend, still grieving from that started kicking and beating on another transit foamer because he mentioned it. 

5 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

Was it in service or in training mode

Why would it be in Training mode 🤔🤔...With passengers entering and exiting the train 🤦🏿‍♀️🤦🏿‍♀️...I did say on the 2 and that wasn't the only set I saw like that....

Edited by biGC323232

On 2/21/2024 at 10:32 PM, Lawrence St said:

The people in Queens would like a word with you.

Local service on Queens Blvd has been abysmal with the lack of the (M). Hundreds of people having been demanding the (MTA) to restore the (G) in it's place just because of how bad it is over there.

Most of the push to have (G) service brought back to QBL (only speaking for this year) stems from the planned summer suspensions that the (MTA) wants to do, but politicians are pushing against unless the (MTA) extends (G) service once construction is complete.

2 hours ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

Most of the push to have (G) service brought back to QBL (only speaking for this year) stems from the planned summer suspensions that the (MTA) wants to do, but politicians are pushing against unless the (MTA) extends (G) service once construction is complete.

I'm still surprised and kinda glad politicians are asking for something in return rather than screw everything during the process like they normally do. Am I opposed to the (G) returning to Forest Hills? Not really, never really rode the (G) outside of taking it as an alternative along the IND SBK/Culver. Unfortunately, politicians wouldn't be able to get what they ask for since there still wouldn't be nearly enough trains running around and the union would push against this anyway.

9 hours ago, Vulturious said:

I'm still surprised and kinda glad politicians are asking for something in return rather than screw everything during the process like they normally do. Am I opposed to the (G) returning to Forest Hills? Not really, never really rode the (G) outside of taking it as an alternative along the IND SBK/Culver. Unfortunately, politicians wouldn't be able to get what they ask for since there still wouldn't be nearly enough trains running around and the union would push against this anyway.

Why would the union be against it? It’s more jobs for their workforce.

So... there is a new speed control system installed at Essex Street and that has led to increased run times on the J of at least 2 to 3 minutes. 

Add to that the F GO that has it on the Cranberry Tube... 

here I am pulling into Fulton Street southbound, already late, and facing a wall of passengers who got lost because they just saw the (J) sign on the stairs and didn't read the words "Broad Street" next to it.

Me: (yelling out the window as I open up) "Broad Street train! Broad Street Next and last"

Computer: as the doors open.

"This a Broad Street bound J train, the next and last stop is... Broad Street"

Passenger at my window "Does this go to Delancy?"

Me (explains what they need to do to get to the northbound platform)

person walks away... another person, standing right next to them the whole time

"So... this doesn't go to Delancy?"

How did people survive with the marker light system? really? how? 

51 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

So... there is a new speed control system installed at Essex Street and that has led to increased run times on the J of at least 2 to 3 minutes. 

here I am pulling into Fulton Street southbound, already late, and facing a wall of passengers who got lost because they just saw the (J) sign on the stairs and didn't read the words "Broad Street" next to it.

Me: (yelling out the window as I open up) "Broad Street train! Broad Street Next and last"

I genuinely don't know how you don't get irritated with all these questions. I see some conductors just flat out ignore people and continue their safety duties.

1 hour ago, Kamen Rider said:

Ridiculous. 

Back in the day of the old marker lights, people seemed to know which train was which and which route was which.  Plus, at DeKalb and also before Chrystie Chambers on the Nassau Line, you had signs that would light up the correct route as trains came in (or in the case of Chambers, whether trains were going over the Manhattan or Williamsburg Bridge I believe).  The real problem is now people don't pay attention to route changes and the like even if there are signs in the stations pointing to changes.  Sometimes it seems people are THAT IGNORANT.  

3 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

Hell, nowadays so many thing about navigation are so much easier today than I remember them in the late 2000s-early 2010s:

- countdown clocks everywhere, before you had no idea when a train would come - I once waited 45 mins for the (J) one night

- having service changes online rather than just showing up at the station and finding out you need to make an extra transfer or backtrack

- real time updates, before trains would just stop in the tunnel with no announcements

Edited by slantfan4281

7 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Why would the union be against it? It’s more jobs for their workforce.

From what I remember, people on this forum have mentioned it's not a good idea to extend the (G) because it would piss off crews already on it and would rather not deal with that hence union being against because they represent the workforce. Is it true? I don't know, maybe I'm talking out of my ass, someone would probably know. I don't really care either way, we still don't have enough trains running around for the (G) to be extended, not now nor for another couple of years at least.

16 hours ago, slantfan4281 said:

- real time updates, before trains would just stop in the tunnel with no announcements

Uh… many of those updates are pure 🐂💩. The conductor tells you “we’re being held by a red signal up ahead” for reasons as diverse as:

• The T/O is stopping to take a leak out the front of the train.
  • Someone is getting of/off the train (at a yard, for example).

Yeah. I know the train stopped. But I could do without the fake reason.

- countdown clocks everywhere, before you had no idea when a train would come - I once waited 45 mins for the (J) one night

- having service changes online rather than just showing up at the station and finding out you need to make an extra transfer or backtrack

The in-station feeds and online updates are definitely helpful nowadays.

I see a (Q) in 1 minute at Canal Street and an (N) in 21 minutes… I’m getting on the (Q) even if I have to take a shuttle bus to Coney Island from Brighton Beach.

I see huge gaps on NYC Subway Stringlines and I’m gonna walk the extra block to a different trunk line.

Between the in-station countdown clocks and the Stringlines page, I usually trust the in-station countdown clocks since the apps that use the MTA’s datafeeds don’t always get complete information. I’ve been on ghost trains that didn’t show up at all on Stringlines.

Edited by CenSin