SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

2 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

The scary part is, he's not the first person I've seen suggest that.

If one of those things were to fall off a moving train while I'm waiting on the platform & gets me right in the eye, best believe I'm suing the piss out of them.... You don't try to deter stupidity by also doing something stupid.... Two wrongs is said to not make something called a right.

I know it's entirely a joke, but more than one person ive read on Discord has floated the idea of them oiling the top of the trains. The silly side of me would almost embrace the goofiness of veggie oiling a R188 if it werent for the fact that hell's gonna break loose once that oil hits the tracks.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/13/2024 at 10:34 AM, B35 via Church said:

Because they don't want to piss off the pigeons anymore than they already have.

(as an aside, Newkirk on the Brighton line used to be a haven for those SOB's)

The scary part is, he's not the first person I've seen suggest that.

If one of those things were to fall off a moving train while I'm waiting on the platform & gets me right in the eye, best believe I'm suing the piss out of them.... You don't try to deter stupidity by also doing something stupid.... Two wrongs is said to not make something called a right.

You know what I didn't think of the spikes falling. My bad. I wasn't thinking of the usual spikes that we see for pigeons (the really thin ones) I was thinking of the thicker ones like the ones you see on a dog collar but built into the roof, not placed on top. I guess that also wouldn't work.

Hello and Happy New Year to all. Since Thanksgiving week I’ve been in contact with some of my former coworkers discussing subway issues and I’ve formulated a list of some things we’ve talked about. First off is we’re all wondering if you guys really read the (MTA) website ? There are threads about the unreliability of equipment like the R46, R62, 62A, and the R68 class of cars. Just curious because from Thanksgiving until today there isn’t much information about equipment caused delays. Signal, switch trouble. Network communication problems. Unauthorized people on the tracks. Disorderly people. People struck by trains .We haven’t seen much about equipment issues in either division. The R211 class is undergoing some issues at the moment but we figure those issues will be resolved soon. What we are saying is that some people seem really upset about the wrong things. Either that or they are prone to exaggerating. Look back at what I posted.at the beginning. R9-R211 doesn’t matter. The equipment doesn’t seem to be the reason for most delays as far as we can see. Old timers opinions. Agree or disagree. No hard feelings either way. Carry on.

Between 2010-2016, was it really necessary to have the (N) run local in Manhattan at all times? It seems like it was a continuous problem having to switch back and forth between the express and local tracks at Canal St and again at 57th St with the (Q).

12 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Between 2010-2016, was it really necessary to have the (N) run local in Manhattan at all times? It seems like it was a continuous problem having to switch back and forth between the express and local tracks at Canal St and again at 57th St with the (Q).

I don't think the MTA wants to leave Broadway local with just one service. I've been on packed W trains even when we were riding the ass of the R train

10 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Do you mean having both the Prince St and 34 St interlockings in continuous use for the (N) and Astoria-bound (Q) trains on weekdays?

On 1/9/2024 at 4:30 PM, Vulturious said:

Excellent:

As I have said before, if this is done west on 125, it should includes connections at St. Nicholas to and from the 8th Avenue line where SAS trains would enter/exit the 8th Avenue line north of 125th using the middle track in each direction of the six-track section that runs from there to north of 135.  This would mainly for now be for G.O.'s and emergency re-routes but would potentially allow an SAS service to use the Concourse and 207th Street lines, allowing at the very least for Yankee Stadium specials on the SAS and so forth. 

I live in Midtown Manhattan now and I go to work basically in the opposite direction of where everybody else is going: away from the central business district. So I get on the train in the AM and it gets less and less crowded until I get off. In the PM, the train gets more and more packed as I get closer to home.

It used to be the opposite. I don’t think I can quite get used to this reversal.

The 8 minute headway on the (E) and the (R) is making QBL service hell a lot better

Now trains come pretty reliability and the wait time seem manageable. There were 3 (E) and 2 (R) before a (F) even showed up.

That is the service MTA should be providing to QBL on weekend. That is the service MTA provided until 2010s. Unfortunately that corridor has been stuck in perpetual construction 

22 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

The 8 minute headway on the (E) and the (R) is making QBL service hell a lot better

Now trains come pretty reliability and the wait time seem manageable. There were 3 (E) and 2 (R) before a (F) even showed up.

That is the service MTA should be providing to QBL on weekend. That is the service MTA provided until 2010s. Unfortunately that corridor has been stuck in perpetual construction 

The (E) is running local on QBL now?

On 1/19/2024 at 11:26 PM, CenSin said:

I live in Midtown Manhattan now and I go to work basically in the opposite direction of where everybody else is going: away from the central business district. So I get on the train in the AM and it gets less and less crowded until I get off. In the PM, the train gets more and more packed as I get closer to home.

It used to be the opposite. I don’t think I can quite get used to this reversal.

I work in LI & no longer take public transit, but I don't miss peak direction commuting to/from Manhattan for shit.... Last time I did so was back in the early 2010's; used to do the whole (2) to the (1) to get to Christopher bit.... Sometimes I'd take the (B) & walk from West 4th on a good (brisk, cold) day.....

On 1/20/2024 at 11:33 AM, Mtatransit said:

It's terrible at night though with the (E) being the only sole train between 57th and 7th and queens plaza and the (F) being the only train on 53rd st with 20 min headways. With both the (7) and (N) being out both trains were packed like rush hour at 1am.

4 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

It's terrible at night though with the (E) being the only sole train between 57th and 7th and queens plaza and the (F) being the only train on 53rd st with 20 min headways. With both the (7) and (N) being out both trains were packed like rush hour at 1am.

Alright, so I’m headed back to my section after finishing my job assignment for the night and this random guy yesterday tell me he was losing his mind over not being able to find a train and when I pointed him to the countdown clock at Lex, next (F) Train was in 17 minutes. Platform at Lex-53rd was crowded anyways so I just went “well we [Signals] don’t control when the trains show up so IDK what to tell you”. Guy was At least respectful to my colleagues and I and the interaction ended there.

There were two R142As on the (6) yesterday with one R142 due to the 149 St-Grand Concourse yesterday. Brings back the old days with the R142As when they were all at Westchester. Ex units in-service were 7646-7650. 

- On the techs to 149 St-Grand Concourse, the strip map doesn't dot the said stops. It starts at Utica Av from what I observed. 
- Also, nothing bad, there was a lot of dashing and excitement with "honk the horn" as soon as that 142A went in and out of the loop. There was somewhat of a petition that's said, "Bring back R142As to the 6". 

On 1/21/2024 at 2:39 PM, B35 via Church said:

I work in LI & no longer take public transit, but I don't miss peak direction commuting to/from Manhattan for shit.... Last time I did so was back in the early 2010's; used to do the whole (2) to the (1) to get to Christopher bit.... Sometimes I'd take the (B) & walk from West 4th on a good (brisk, cold) day.....

“Congratulations!” …if you’re able to simply walk to work.

I’m still iffy on the driving and bussing. This Spectrum tech is coming to Hudson Yards/Chelsea right now from LIC, and he’s taking 50 minutes just to cross the East River and a few avenues, then another 15 minutes to find parking. My train on the other hand, made the trip in 20 minutes.

Edited by CenSin

Ok so….. apparently there is a “EXP MAIN ST-46 ST” program on the R188 (7)…. Now for a few, this may be confusing, but this most likely has to do with the station renewal project on the (7), this is similar to what we have with the current “EXP 74 ST-MAIN ST” program, in theory, this most likely means the whole “temporarily platforms” along 46th,40th,33rd Street could become a thing, with express service only running in one direction at a time when the platforms close at 69th and 52nd street. By the way this source comes from jc.7.24 on instagram if you want to check out the image, posted on November 2nd 2023

On 1/15/2024 at 3:09 PM, CenSin said:

Avoid Broadway local north bound … conga line of local trains to 34 Street so far.

That’s every week! But, this what the passengers wanted. Well there they go. Enjoy!