SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

6 minutes ago, TyBusLover1 said:

Yesterday I think I saw a r62a (car 2178) stripped outside of 207 st yard does anyone have any information on this?

That part of the consist was involved of the 96 St derailment around early January. It didn’t suffer much damage but used for parts, the other 3 cars may have that effect. 2176 suffered heavy damage back then. 

Edited by Calvin

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13088129/subway-surfers-sex-moving-7-train.html

Two male subway surfers are caught having SEX on top of moving NYC train while another films them

• Two men were captured having sex on top of a subway train on Friday 
  • They dropped their pants on the roof of the 7 train as it crossed the raised tracks above the Van Wyck Expressway

Don't think I need to go further into detail nor want to know what was said in the article, pretty sure everything here gives the gist of it.

A 8-car train of R42s have also been saved alongside the R32s. Those R42 cars are not part of the garbage fleet but also used as a protection train or for special occasion. 

* 4804-4805, 4806-4807, 4808-4809, 4812-4813

It may sound wrong but in my opinion, with more R211s running on the (A) by the springtime. Pitkin Yard should move some of their R46s sets and AA units over to Coney Island Yard for the (N) (Q) (W) to avoid any shortages that can happen. Retirement can wait. The even sets, not much can be covered for at least 1 train of R68s that runs on the Franklin Av Shuttle. 

Coney Island uses most of the R68/As at times that they barely have spares. Although, most of the R46s at the yard are put to rest including the rush hour. 

Edited by Calvin

23 minutes ago, Metro CSW said:

6906-10

Ye I rode 7019 yesterday (Friday when I'm postin this) from Hoyt St to Prospect Av, got off, and immediately forgot the other set, so thanks. Made it seconds before the doors closed.

Edited by Ale188

8 hours ago, Calvin said:

It may sound wrong but in my opinion, with more R211s running on the (A) by the springtime. Pitkin Yard should move some of their R46s sets and AA units over to Coney Island Yard for the (N) (Q) (W) to avoid any shortages that can happen. Retirement can wait. The even sets, not much can be covered for at least 1 train of R68s that runs on the Franklin Av Shuttle. 

Coney Island uses most of the R68/As at times that they barely have spares. Although, most of the R46s at the yard are put to rest including the rush hour. 

Yeah we have to wait until the (M) is back to full service in May/June. I wouldn’t be surprised if no R46 cars “retire” until 2025, when enough spares have been saved up and the (A) should be fully NTT by then

1 hour ago, darkstar8983 said:

Yeah we have to wait until the (M) is back to full service in May/June. I wouldn’t be surprised if no R46 cars “retire” until 2025, when enough spares have been saved up and the (A) should be fully NTT by then

There could be some retirements of CI’s 46’s just to have parts for the remaining 46’s when Pitkin 46’s are ready to move. 

On 2/18/2024 at 7:38 AM, darkstar8983 said:

I doubt they'll wait that long.  Why keep an entire fleet of cars when they are no longer needed?  Consider that in light of how they've been retiring cars even before their replacements are ordered.  The only reason to keep them would be if their disposal costs are greater than keeping them, and even then eventually they have to be disposed.  Pay me now or pay me later.

As I've said in the R46 retirement thread many times, they managed to keep up service even without the 11 R32 trains that were retired early.  With the R211s being a lot more reliable, assuming no more disasters, they won't need as many spares either.

1 hour ago, zacster said:

I doubt they'll wait that long.  Why keep an entire fleet of cars when they are no longer needed?  Consider that in light of how they've been retiring cars even before their replacements are ordered.  The only reason to keep them would be if their disposal costs are greater than keeping them, and even then eventually they have to be disposed.  Pay me now or pay me later.

As I've said in the R46 retirement thread many times, they managed to keep up service even without the 11 R32 trains that were retired early.  With the R211s being a lot more reliable, assuming no more disasters, they won't need as many spares either.

You are completely missing the point. Because they retired the R32's, The R46's took a hit on reliability esp at Coney Island. The pitkin ones improved slightly because they have a good spare factor with the R211s now. They were not fine, what helped them was the fact they had a crew shortage and in 2020-2021 the (C) and (F) lines were cut by 50% until the union fought to have their full services return this was also why they didn't need the R32s and at that time they were just in storage. Concourse lost spares between 2016-2018 32 cars in total i think to Coney Island when they brought back the (W) and the (Q) going to 2nd ave, Jamaica lost  3-4 sets of R160's and gained 5823-5877 before the R46/160 swap due to the R179's pushing those R46's out. The R32's would have pushed out the other group of R46s to CI had they stayed. They have to make sure they have a good spare factor before they retire R46's. They are still removing R32s off property. Once that's done, They will start to store R46s when the time comes.

Congestion pricing also plays a role on how they will do things. It isn't smart to start completely retiring R46's until they know they have enough fleet to meet up with the demand. They can STORE R46s and sideline them until there are more than enough R211s to start completely retiring the R46 fleet.

This is why i said Congestion pricing should start in 2026 instead of now. The more it's pushed back, the better.

The R62A (1) trains cars that were seen during the 96 St derailment: 2206-2210 and 2271-2275 are back in service. They are at 350 cars, 35 trains. 

2176-2180, 2411-2415 are the pairs with heavy damage. 1896-1900 is a parts units at 240 St Yard. 

14 hours ago, Calvin said:

The R62A (1) trains cars that were seen during the 96 St derailment: 2206-2210 and 2271-2275 are back in service. They are at 350 cars, 35 trains. 

2176-2180, 2411-2415 are the pairs with heavy damage. 1896-1900 is a parts units at 240 St Yard. 

1896-1990 is coming back in service, except all of its side rollsign boxes are now stickers. 

R62 1471 has a diamond 3 signed up. Heading downtown towards 72nd Street as I type. Couldn't manage to get a picture in time, but my own eyes don't lie on this one.

What is up with all these random diamond signs showing up

Edited by jon2305