SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the (2) to Dyre GO will FINALLY be starting this Saturday. Anybody else excited????

I know someone whos going to be VERY pissed about this... lol.

It makes me wonder if the R160's at JAM are having milage problems... Last weekend there were 5 R46 sets on the (F).

These extra sets most likely wont be around anymore once the (R) returns to whitehall...

Nope, I'm excited because one of my trips will get dropped. Also R142s on the Dyre!

Because it makes the day on the job easier as you would be dealing with a chaotic situation with the diversions on the (2) otherwise?

So the (2) to Dyre GO will FINALLY be starting this Saturday. Anybody else excited????

No.

Edited by realizm

Two things:

1) I am shocked to realize that my commute to Baruch College from the area of the Bronx that I live in depends entirely on the (5) and/or (6) lines. I was thinking about possible alternatives one day being that I wasn't impressed with the way the <6> was running (or not running) and realized that all other alternatives would take me over an hour (on a good day) where as the messed up service on this particular day resulted in a commute slightly over an hour.

2) The way the subway network is set up is quite odd (at least for me). I was thinking about what my possible commute would be had I attended a college in NYC other than Baruch. What I came to realize is that although Columbia Univ (the school I wanted to go to) is geographically closer to my house than Baruch is, it would entail a longer commute. I find it odd that geographical proximity doesn't really correlate with shorter commute time as it should.

I want to mention this being that it was bought up in a recent thread. Running the (6) straight local from Pelham Bay during AM Rush is a very stupid idea. The couple of times it's happened to me due to delays on the line, the trains were packed before reaching Hunts Point Av (something that never happens with locals during the regular pattern).

Is there really a new timer on the (4) Woodlawn bound coming in to Kingsbridge? I was on the platform at Fordham and while waiting for the train, I see a Yellow then a Red signal before Kingsbridge (no trains in the area, 8 minute headway) and the train I got on did have to slow down reaching that area.

That timer was not there two weeks ago (last week I was out of town)

A follow up on that, it is indeed a two-shot timer IINM (yellow with white "S" then red) that clears at about 20. Yes, a two-shot grade timer on a slight incline near a third rail gap about a car length long with a set of switches about 5 car lengths after the station. Sometimes I wonder what management's logic is...

Edited by paulrivera

Don't be surprised.that there is delays on the (4)(5) and (6). The demand is astronomically high for the allowed physical capacity of riders. In 2011 I believe for all lines the ridership level is 1.3 million. That's more demand on ridership than the Washington Metro and the Chicago "L" combined.

I'm not even sure if the Second Ave Line will truly help with the delays and overcrowding because they cannot build phase 2, 3 and 4 with no Bronx connection which I personally think needs to be a possibility for the future that needs to be built. period.

They always do...

Yeah but this time there will be a (2) train saying FLATBUSH!!!!!!

I want to mention this being that it was bought up in a recent thread. Running the (6) straight local from Pelham Bay during AM Rush is a very stupid idea. The couple of times it's happened to me due to delays on the line, the trains were packed before reaching Hunts Point Av (something that never happens with locals during the regular pattern).

Hmm I guess Pelham riders have a different mentality than Flushing riders. Over on the (7) if a service disruption cuts the express service, many riders will get off the train and wait for the next express, even if it won't be coming for a good while......

Edited by Snowblock

I guess people forgot that the last time the (2) went to Dyre, the southern destination was South Ferry. Since there is no 2 program from Dyre to South Ferry, at E 180 St, 2 trains had CHAMBERS ST on the side signs and not FLATBUSH AV. I guess Snowblock is somewhat happy he might save his breath from announcing stops from Dyre to E 180th. Just let the computer do it.

Yes, because that's where those (4)'s are turning. It's really up to the C/R if he wants to unofficially end the trip at 125, or keep it in service to 1383, but the former is recommended since almost NOBODY on that train is going to want to be going to 1383

I guess people forgot that the last time the (2) went to Dyre, the southern destination was South Ferry. Since there is no 2 program from Dyre to South Ferry, at E 180 St, 2 trains had CHAMBERS ST on the side signs and not FLATBUSH AV. I guess Snowblock is somewhat happy he might save his breath from announcing stops from Dyre to E 180th. Just let the computer do it.

Does anyone know the last time that both the (2) and (5) were going to Dyre at the same time?? That's what's REALLY gonna make things interesting this weekend!

Edited by Snowblock

Just got off the (2). Man, I love riding the subway during late nights. Anyway, some (4)'s that I saw had "3 Av-138 St" as their destination rather than 125 St.

I saw that too. But the car I was in had the outside terminal as 3 Av-138 but inside it said 125 St

Are you sure it wasn't saying THIS IS 125 ST?

Im positive...the outside sign said 3 Av-138 St but the inside sign said 125 St. The strip map only went up to 125 St. The announcement said "This is a Bronx-bound (4) train."

I caught it from Bleecker St to Union Sq