SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Just saw this on News 12 The Bronx. Why does Mott Avenue need ADA if 3 Av-149 and 161 Street are ADA compliant? Thoughts anyone?

Well, Snowblock already said it was because of the transfer, which is a good enough reason on its own. But I was going to say that it's a major stop, and there might be enough seniors (and riders in general) to justify putting them in. I mean, a senior would have to walk about 1/2 mile to either station, and taking a bus adds extra time and hassle to their trip.

The R42 (C) loves me. I rode it once so far, and have seen it 4 times (including the time I rode it)

The R46 (G) hates me. I saw it going the other way at Hoyt Street...

Doesn't the (G) normally run R46s, though? What is it running now after the storm?

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Random thought: How is the transition between certain time periods made in terms of beefing up or subtracting service levels? I always wondered how one can go from having only a few trains out during the late night hours to so many during rush hours (especially on a line like the (6) where rush hour headways are quite low). All of the trains can't come out of the yard at once. How does it work with midday hours in terms of putting some trains out of service and bringing them back during the PM Rush.

A combination of tightening headways between 0500 & 0630 (the official start of the AM rush) and layups in key locations (like the 160s used for E and M service on the Hillside express tracks or 142s for the 2/5 at Livonia Yard) make for an easy transition between late night and rush hour service.

The transition between Midday and the PM rush is probably much easier than the one from overnight to AM rush. There are still the layups in place, especially out of Livonia for 2/5 and Avenue X Yard for the F. However, there isn't as much of a headway disparity between midday and PM rush.

Doesn't the (G) normally run R46s, though? What is it running now after the storm?

The G hasn't used 46s since June 2011. The line has been assigned 68s and 68As since the line was transferred over to Coney Island Yard.

That absolute block on the (G) is no joke. They have TSS on both ends of the platforms at 21 St & Greenpoint Av checking trains, and it looks like they are using those yellow emergency telephones to keep in contact with each other. All the signals in both tunnels are wrapped up and the stop arms are all tied down.

The dark area going north starts at Greenpoint Av (maybe even Greenpoint itself, didn't notice any signals once the train got into the station) to the first signal right outside 21 St.

Going south, its from the signal right at the end of 21 St (have to key by it) to the second signal before Greenpoint Av.

Trains are still crawling through there and at least it was a full 600' train

That absolute block on the (G) is no joke. They have TSS on both ends of the platforms at 21 St & Greenpoint Av checking trains, and it looks like they are using those yellow emergency telephones to keep in contact with each other. All the signals in both tunnels are wrapped up and the stop arms are all tied down.

The dark area going north starts at Greenpoint Av (maybe even Greenpoint itself, didn't notice any signals once the train got into the station) to the first signal right outside 21 St.

Going south, its from the signal right at the end of 21 St (have to key by it) to the second signal before Greenpoint Av.

Trains are still crawling through there and at least it was a full 600' train

Yep. Saw the TSS at Greenpoint call on the Yellow phone once our train entered the station. The signal just before the platform is lit so once the train is at the stop indicator the block is clear. TSS at 21st then gives the T/O the okay to key-by. It seems like there might even be a pilot that gets on at one and off on the other, as further redundancy, but this might just be crew shuffling around. Hard to see how that would help. Fun to watch all this when I'm not in a rush, annoying to sit through when I am.

I was on the (3) last week, in the middle of the train and somebody covered the cab window with a run-sheet for a (5) line crewman (I don't really know if it's an operator or conductor sheet, but I took an image of it). I was interested because the first trip listed on the sheet is one of the (5) intervals I sometimes take in the morning. [The schedule allocates too much time for that trip if you ask me, but I digress.]

You don't see that something like that used every day to cover up the window.

Edited by Mysterious2train

When I passed Smith 9 and 4 Av-9 St yesterday on the (F), I noticed they removed all those wooden things between the trackways, it looks like the station might open soon.

Then again, the station currently looks like complete crud, they still need to put all the Windows in.