SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know the last time that both the (2) and (5) were going to Dyre at the same time?? That's what's REALLY gonna make things interesting this weekend!

Ohh, that's new to me. I thought it was the (2) and (5) switching northern terminals again. Now that is rare.

Is there an announcement for 125 Street on the (4)(5)(6) without the transfer options being voiced? If there is, I think i've heard it recently on the <6>.

It's a glitch. If the transfer announcement fails to play at 125 St, chances are that train will announce itself as a "Manhattan-bound" train all the way to its final destination.

It's a glitch. If the transfer announcement fails to play at 125 St, chances are that train will announce itself as a "Manhattan-bound" train all the way to its final destination.

Unless the C/R is paying attention and resyncs at 116 St, and then the proper announcements will play. Interestingly whenever the (5) goes to/from Flatbush on weekends, it won't announce ANY transfers in either Manhattan or Brooklyn except at 125!

Unless the C/R is paying attention and resyncs at 116 St, and then the proper announcements will play. Interestingly whenever the (5) goes to/from Flatbush on weekends, it won't announce ANY transfers in either Manhattan or Brooklyn except at 125!

That doesn't surprise me in the slightest. If I'm not mistaken, all the NTT automated systems' transfer announcements are programmed according to the schedule. The transfers may be included in the route for the times said line actually runs but not for certain parts of the day. Some examples include the early morning runs of the Q to/from Ditmars Blvd (no transfers north of 57 St) the weekend extension of the M to 57 St (none after Myrtle Av-Broadway) and the late night extension of the 5 during 7th Avenue FASTRACK (none except for E 180 St). It's a bit of an oversight if you ask me.

What is the difference between a 68 and 68A?

R68 = Built by Westinghouse ~ Fleet #s 2500-2924

R68A = Built by Kawasaki ~ Fleet #s 5001-5200

1.The door to the operator's cab slides open on an R68A as opposed to swinging open on an R68.

2. The R68 and R68A fleets have different window frames.

3. Unlike the R68s, the R68As do not feature rims around the red door indicator lights.

4. The "MTA New York City Subway" logos are arranged differently between the two car types.

5. The side ribbing runs all the way to the car ends and side doors on an R68, but taper off on approach on an R68A.

6. Only the R68s have a metal bar separating the side sign from window, while the R68A has one solid pane of glass.

7. The R68s have unit numbers in the 2000-series while the R68As have numbers in the 5000-series.

Anything else I'm forgetting, please post/add below.... Edited by NovaCSW8030

What is the difference between a 68 and 68A?

The 68's are smoother, quieter, and have better brakes. They're the all around better cars.

While at Jay Street, I realized I haven't taken the (C) in a few weeks. I let the (A) pass and wait for the (C). What else but the R42 pulls up... :D

Also, how tall are the R46's? They seem MUCH shorter in height than the R68(A)'s....

So I get off at Beverly Road (2)(5). I was at the middle of the train today, and I unconsciously got off at Church Av. I was right at the turnstiles when I realized what was I doing, and I ran back on the train.

I don't even know how I did that. :lol:

Edited by Mysterious2train

So I get off at Beverly Road (2)(5). I was at the middle of the train today, and I unconsciously got off at Church Av. I was right at the turnstiles when I realized what was I doing, and I ran back on the train.

I don't even know how I did that. :lol:

So much for automated announcements being idiot proof.

Looking trough some railfanning photos, and I saw I had a shot of a (2) to Eastchester @TS during FASTRACK, and a (5) terminating at TS too.

And I got a shot of the countdown clock saying (5) Penn Sta-34 St 31 Min on the LOCAL track. (And one with 33 min too)

AND a NIS 5 car set of R142's from Jerome.

Edited by CDTA

Nope because 1) it already is known as Hoyt St-Fulton Mall (at least on the signs in the station) and 2) name changes won't likely increase ridership.

Most of the signs say that anyway except for the end of the platform which still has the original Hoyt St-Bridge St signs