SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

9:01 I get off of <6> at 125 Street

9:02 Board Bowling Green bound (5) at 125 Street

9:19 I get off of said (5) at Grand Central

9:20 Board Brooklyn Bridge bound <6> at Grand Central

9:24 I get off at 23rd Street, commute over

Tomorrow try staying on the same 6 from Pelham to 23 St and see how much time you save!

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tomorrow try staying on the same 6 from Pelham to 23 St and see how much time you save!

Exactly what I was gonna say. I commute on the 6 every morning from a local stop to a local stop, people always try to tell me I should transfer to the express and then transfer back...I let them go ahead, and then I wait for them once I get to my destination. Only time the express saves any time is on a few certain lines going from an express station to an express station...transfers are almost never worth it.

Today, I was railfanning on the (C) the entire way heading northbound and a woman at Canal Street wanted 155th Street. I told her to take the (C) I was on because it goes straight there. She shakes her head no and says "but the map shows the (A) running express and making eight stops so I'll transfer at 145th Street instead" and walked out of the train. While I was heading towards 168th, there was no (A) that past me. Laugh out loud.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

R62As were also on the (6) line with some Redbirds remaining there as well. R62As also did made appearances on the (4) regardless of it being R62s and very fewer Redbird trains there as well.

EDIT: The (1) has always been R62As after the Redbirds were taken off there.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

Today, I was railfanning on the (C) the entire way heading northbound and a woman at Canal Street wanted 155th Street. I told her to take the (C) I was on because it goes straight there. She shakes her head no and says "but the map shows the (A) running express and making eight stops so I'll transfer at 145th Street instead" and walked out of the train. While I was heading towards 168th, there was no (A) that past me. Laugh out loud.

A T/O once said if you go past 59-Colombus, the (A) would usually be the likable choice of transfer but if you are below those stops the (A) and (C) wouldn't make a difference.

What routes were the R62/As assigned to prior to the arrival of the NTTs? I know that the R62s were on the (4) and the R62As on the (3), but are there any others? I remember seeing a pic of a 62A on the (2) at Flatbush, taken around 2004.

The 1 & 3 were exclusively 62(A)s, the redbirds were primarily on the 2, 5 & 7 and the 4 & 6 used a mixed fleet of both redbirds and 62s.

In a bit of an oddity, the 5 shuttle would use 62s occasionally, coming out of either Jerome or Westchester (I forget which).

R62As were also on the (6) line with some Redbirds remaining there as well. R62As also did made appearances on the (4) regardless of it being R62s and very fewer Redbird trains there as well.

EDIT: The (1) has always been R62As after the Redbirds were taken off there.

The 1 & 3 were exclusively 62(A)s, the redbirds were primarily on the 2, 5 & 7 and the 4 & 6 used a mixed fleet of both redbirds and 62s.

In a bit of an oddity, the 5 shuttle would use 62s occasionally, coming out of either Jerome or Westchester (I forget which).

Thanks!

That is nothing new; people never listen. One time I was on the C and and A (a 168 dropout) left Euclid before my C did. Another A passes us at Broadway Junction and another at before Hoyt. When I get to 34 Street, there was congestion on the express track so I passed the 3 As between 34 and 42. I get to 59 Street, there is a D which just left. The D and I keep pace up to 145 and when I get to 168, that 168 A dropout arrives at the same time!

Besides it is better to transfer at 125 than 145.

I dunno about the Dyre shuttle, but I did remember the (5) borrowing a train of R62As from the (1) red stripe and the (6) yellow stripe. It was just so odd/out of the ordinary to me 10 years ago.

R62As were also on the line with some Redbirds remaining there as well. R62As also did made appearances on the regardless of it being R62s and very fewer Redbird trains there as well.

EDIT: The has always been R62As after the Redbirds were taken off there.

I don't think R62As ran on the (4) till well after all the R62s were transfered to the (3). If there were any R62As, it must've been a loaner. R62As that did run on the (4) came from the (1)(7) when the R142s were going thru repairs or something in 2006. Edited by Grand Concourse

A few more questions, this time related to the maintenance aspect of the subway:

1. Which cars, if any, have stainless steel frames?

2. How does the MTA deal with preventing corrosion on cars which run in places like the Rockaways?

I've been doing some research for a project of mine and corrosion came into the picture. Thanks!

A few more questions, this time related to the maintenance aspect of the subway:

1. Which cars, if any, have stainless steel frames?

2. How does the MTA deal with preventing corrosion on cars which run in places like the Rockaways?

I've been doing some research for a project of mine and corrosion came into the picture. Thanks!

Im not sure about the first one but they deal with the corrosion problem with stainless steel bodies. Stainless steel doesn't rust.

Stainless steel doesn't rust.

I know that it doesn't, but that was mostly referring to the non-stainless cars, those made of regular and carbon steel. Plus, unless the frames were made of stainless steel than that would be something to have to look out for as well - Toronto had over 300 Orion Vs without stainless steel frames at one point, and that didn't turn out well.

My day today on the train...

As im walking over the bridge to get to Livonia Av, I see the (L) leaving and I thought nothing of it. Catch the next one and get off at the junction to catch the (A) or (C) into the city (didn't matter which one, I was only going to Chambers). The (C) comes first (R32 of course) and I get on in the front to look out the window.

I get past Utica and I see an (A) going the other way but there's no one in it (signed as one and all). I get right outside Nostrand and I see the R42 (C) going the other way. Then I get to Franklin and I see an (A) going the other way on the local track. Once I get to Clinton-Washington, the (A) finally catches up to us. We pretty much stayed behind it the whole time, the signals was just clearing by the time we get to them.

I pick up my girl from BMCC and once we get to Utica, I see the same R42 (C) going the opposite way.

catch the (A) or (C) into the city (didn't matter which one, I was only going to Chambers). The (C) comes first (R32 of course) and I get on in the front to look out the window.

Too bad not everyone thinks like you and they "need" the A to get to Chambers.

One time I was on the C and at Jay Street someone "needed" the A to get to 34 Street. He got on my C, but he transferred to an arriving A at West 4th!

Edited by PATCOman

Too bad not everyone thinks like you and they "need" the A to get to Chambers.

One time I was on the C and at Jay Street someone "needed" the A to get to 34 Street. He got on my C, but he transferred to an arriving A at West 4th!

The riding public these days... :lol: They gave up their seat to which I'm sure was a less crowded train just so they can bypass one stop and spend just as much, if not, MORE time climbling their way through the crossunder and to the exit? Just like how groups of people run from the (6) to the (4)(5) at Grand Central-42 Street and climb their way to the exit at 59th Street... :D