BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

7 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

Did the MTA ever loan buses to the WMATA? In the description of this video it says that bus 2656 (Castleton X3-45) was seen on a subway shuttle for the dc metro back in 2017. Didn’t find any pictures or videos of it though.

I think based on the description the person is saying the last time they road a Prevost in general was an MTA Prevost.

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

That video description said "I enjoyed this bus as this was only my second time riding the X3-45 (and first time with Greyhound, I previously rode an MTA NYCTA unit back in Summer 2017 (#2656)".

Just now, IAlam said:

I think based on the description the person is saying the last time they road a Prevost in general was an MTA Prevost.

I just realized that. My bad.

3 minutes ago, 46Dover said:

I thought it interesting to see MCIs from MTA Bus on some routes like the SIM23/24 (almost said X23/24) on 495 in New Jersey.  I’m assuming they’re displaced from whatever garage got the new (yuck) Prevosts?

Charleston Depot also has MCI CT’s (2013)   I’ve personally spotted at least 2 MCI CT’s in Manhattan in the SIM23/24. 

I know people have their own opinions on the prevosts but they are good transit OTR buses and with more transit agencies ordering prevosts you will see more of them.  With exception to the new seating arrangement that everyone is not pleased about the current (MTA) batch. 

34 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Charleston Depot also has MCI CT’s (2013)   I’ve personally spotted at least 2 MCI CT’s in Manhattan in the SIM23/24. 

I know people have their own opinions on the prevosts but they are good transit OTR buses and with more transit agencies ordering prevosts you will see more of them.  With exception to the new seating arrangement that everyone is not pleased about the current (MTA) batch. 

The seating is one problem yes, but that isn't the only problem. The step layout is awkward, leading to many people falling when boarding the bus. The seats are also too low to the floor. Overall, cheap and poor design, and I don't see them holding up as well as the MCIs did.

7 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The seating is one problem yes, but that isn't the only problem. The step layout is awkward, leading to many people falling when boarding the bus. The seats are also too low to the floor. Overall, cheap and poor design, and I don't see them holding up as well as the MCIs did.

Ahh. This portion here I didn’t know. Thanks for the update on that one. I’ve personally haven’t been on the newer prevosts yet. However, I do plan to board on one in the near future to my trips to Pelham Bay. 

Personally, I just wished when (MTA) and MCI reunited a while back more CT’s could of been ordered and the ones that got sent to (NJT) held up very well. Uncertain if those units have retired. 

On 4/8/2022 at 9:45 AM, Future ENY OP said:

Ahh. This portion here I didn’t know. Thanks for the update on that one. I’ve personally haven’t been on the newer prevosts yet. However, I do plan to board on one in the near future to my trips to Pelham Bay. 

Personally, I just wished when (MTA) and MCI reunited a while back more CT’s could of been ordered and the ones that got sent to (NJT) held up very well. Uncertain if those units have retired. 

I wouldn't say all of that....

Those MCIs are beat to death now. Two have caught fire and some have been retired due to mileage/new bus replacement. The only thing good about them is that they are fast.

On 4/8/2022 at 8:32 AM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Eh, they'll probably be retired by 2035-36.

2 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Because there's no need to put it on buses that's approaching their retirement age....waste of money.

Speaking on retirement age. Is it a mandate to retire a bus when they reach 12 years old. What if it’s still doing good in its 12th year. Do they still retire it because of its age. For Example the RTS we’re here a good amount of time 

23 minutes ago, R179 8258 said:

Speaking on retirement age. Is it a mandate to retire a bus when they reach 12 years old. What if it’s still doing good in its 12th year. Do they still retire it because of its age. For Example the RTS we’re here a good amount of time 

As far as I know, there is no current mandate to retire bus at the MTA by 12 years of age, but that might change in the coming years giving the fact that they are retiring NG hybrids from the 2009-2010 timeframe. NICE seems to being doing at as they have been retiring NG CNGs for sometime now and I suspect the MTA will follow. Once the electric buses have taken over by 2040, it will likely be only 12 years as battery replacement is nearly half the price of the bus itself.

On 4/8/2022 at 8:56 AM, Future ENY OP said:

The HVAC system on the new batch is pretty cr**py, too. I don't know if it's the unit the (MTA) ordered or not, but almost nothing blows out of the vents on the sides by the window or from the overhead ones, even if the B/O has the system and the overheads turned on.

29 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

The HVAC system on the new batch is pretty cr**py, too. I don't know if it's the unit the (MTA) ordered or not, but almost nothing blows out of the vents on the sides by the window or from the overhead ones, even if the B/O has the system and the overheads turned on.

Probably more Specification errors like the seats lol.

43 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

That is all supposedly automatically controlled, so on cold days, the bus shouldn't be freezing, etc.