BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

15 hours ago, SoSpectacular said:

When these detours are made they usually have someone from road control survey the area to determine the best possible course without getting the buses stuck. Looks like that was the best they could reasonably come up with although strange... 

I suppose if the plan was not to miss the Westchester Ave stops, then yeah, that was the best possible detour. Unless there was some obstruction NB on Metropolitan Ave or Unionport Road though, I wonder why that wasn't chosen. Those northbound buses might have missed the Westchester Ave stop yeah, but it might've provided for a shorter detour if that was the case. Don't have a strong opinion on it either since I see the benefits band drawbacks of each option, I just thought it was interesting.

In any case, they're putting cops on  M72 buses. I don't know if it's been occuring on any other routes (the M66 doesn't), but the M72 buses I've seen all had them. They have 3 cops on each bus. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The difference between ridding an (MTA) bus governed at 60-62mph vs one governed at 68+ mph/ungoverned on the New Jersey Turnpike is incredible. Feels like we’re keeping up with the rest of the traffic on the latter.

Edited by Lil 57

5 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

For what?

I don't know, good question. I asked through Twitter but they didn't seem to know. I would note I did see MTA police onboard on the bus I took (who were on for seemingly the whole ride), and not NYPD. Interesting though, because if there's any route I would have even bothered considering placing cops on, the M72 is not on that list. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

4 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

I don't know, good question. I asked through Twitter but they didn't seem to know. I would note I did see MTA police onboard on the bus I took (who were on for seemingly the whole ride), and not NYPD. Interesting though, because if there's any route I would have even bothered considering placing cops on, the M72 is not on that list. 

Yeah, I actually worked on the Upper West Side for a short time and sometimes took the M72 Crosstown to job sites on the Upper East for meetings. Farebeating was never a problem. 

As for Customer Service, that's above their pay grade, so it doesn't surprise me. Seems as if they got some new people too.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

19 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Gotta keep all those old ladies in line--no open walkers allowed LOL!

Will the (MTA) ever convert the seating on the ex-q70 xd40 buses back to the regular seating instead of the luggage racks? Rode one of those on the q39 today and it seems like it just takes up space since no one is using those luggage racks.

my only other idea would be too keep these buses on the q47 and q72 but that’s about it.

28 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Will the (MTA) ever convert the seating on the ex-q70 xd40 buses back to the regular seating instead of the luggage racks? Rode one of those on the q39 today and it seems like it just takes up space since no one is using those luggage racks.

my only other idea would be too keep these buses on the q47 and q72 but that’s about it.

recently, i rode one those units on the 53 when the artics were grounded and wondered the same thing, especially when we approached rockaway blvd/liberty av... at this point, it seems like laziness as to why the luggage racks haven't been removed. seating capacity is severely being compromised 

33 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Its odd that some of the units still have the luggage racks given that its been nearly two years since the buses were unwrapped and put back on the local routes. I guess they were kept in case one was needed on the Q70.

42 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

4 minutes ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

Its odd that some of the units still have the luggage racks given that its been nearly two years since the buses were unwrapped and put back on the local routes. I guess they were kept in case one was needed on the Q70.

All of them still have the racks i dont think the management at the depot care much about that  

1 hour ago, Nova Fly Guy said:

You not on the right side of town BM1 & BM4 see them often.

Cool. I don't go out of my way to look for SC Prevosts since I live along the BM2.. I just waited for one to come to me:D Knew it was only a matter of time before I seen one on the BM2.

On 2/25/2022 at 6:28 PM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

In any case, they're putting cops on  M72 buses. I don't know if it's been occuring on any other routes (the M66 doesn't), but the M72 buses I've seen all had them. They have 3 cops on each bus. 

They should have it on any buses crossing 125th Street, and any bus in Canarsie, and any bus on Staten Island if they want to really combat farebeating

M72 really? connecting upper East Side to upper West Side? Doesn't even make sense from a crime perspective

https://nypost.com/2022/02/21/nearly-one-third-of-nyc-bus-riders-arent-paying-the-fare/

That being said, 30% riders are not paying their fare with 50% non payment rate in the Bronx, and a big jump in non payment rate on Staten Island. Is it really a surprise, not a surprise to me? I am starting to see it happening lately on Queens buses now... still the minority but getting there

Next year it will be 40% citywide, follow by 50% in 2024

Might as well make the buses free at that point and hose us all in extra taxes instead of us honest people paying essentially double (fare + taxes)...

On 2/25/2022 at 6:28 PM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

I suppose if the plan was not to miss the Westchester Ave stops, then yeah, that was the best possible detour. Unless there was some obstruction NB on Metropolitan Ave or Unionport Road though, I wonder why that wasn't chosen. Those northbound buses might have missed the Westchester Ave stop yeah, but it might've provided for a shorter detour if that was the case. Don't have a strong opinion on it either since I see the benefits band drawbacks of each option, I just thought it was interesting.

7 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

They should have it on any buses crossing 125th Street, and any bus in Canarsie, and any bus on Staten Island if they want to really combat farebeating

M72 really? connecting upper East Side to upper West Side? Doesn't even make sense from a crime perspective

There we go....

On 2/19/2022 at 2:23 PM, Cait Sith said:

Nah...this order was never meant for a total replacement of the MCI fleet. Every express bus order we've had, we've always had MCIs left over.

There's other express bus orders pending for NYCT and MTA Bus for the current capital plan, so those orders will eventually replace the leftover MCIs.

Speaking of future orders. I know currently that the Express Fleet is currently Prevost but I wonder if they’re going to order from MCI again because they have an electric of the D or J 4500s ( can’t remember which one ) and the TA has a goal of all electric nurses by a specific time 

8 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Surprisingly, theres only one Charleston 2022 Prevost in service right now, 1607. I thought they would run all eight units they have in service lol.

They can't run every single unit. A spare or two is required at depots for maintenance etc.