BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

4 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Today was the first time I’ve seen an M102 to Lex Av-24 St.

That's typically only used to turn around a very late bus before it reaches Cooper Union. Used to see them occasionally at Hunter with the old "M102 24 ST" sign up which got changed about a year ago.

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

That's typically only used to turn around a very late bus before it reaches Cooper Union. Used to see them occasionally at Hunter with the old "M102 24 ST" sign up which got changed about a year ago.

Doesn’t the M101/102/103 have other short turn programs for a lot of the major east & west streets it passes like 34th, 42nd, 72nd streets? 
I know the 96th street program is used a lot. 

2 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Doesn’t the M101/102/103 have other short turn programs for a lot of the major east & west streets it passes like 34th, 42nd, 72nd streets? 
I know the 96th street program is used a lot. 

having worked out of 100 street, the downtown m103 short signs are for cooper union, 24th street & 42nd street. iinm there is/was a short sign for Chinatown as well (I've never seen it on the road or used it personally)

the downtown m101/102 short signs are 24th street, 42 street and 96.

the uptown m101 shorts are 161 (there's no limited specific code, so limiteds use the local code while being required to announce it) 125-Amsterdam, 125th & 3rd, 116 street and of course 96 street.

the uptown m102 has 125-Lenox, 116 & 3rd, and 96.

to my recollection, the 103 only has 96 as a uptown short sign. there was a downtown 96 that they stopped using a while ago (at least to my knowledge). they just decided to make runs pull in from 125th and call it a day.

Edited by EastFlatbushLarry

On 8/13/2023 at 6:29 PM, EastFlatbushLarry said:

having worked out of 100 street, the downtown m103 short signs are for cooper union, 24th street & 42nd street. iinm there is/was a short sign for Chinatown as well (I've never seen it on the road or used it personally)

the downtown m101/102 short signs are 24th street, 42 street and 96.

the uptown m101 shorts are 161 (there's no limited specific code, so limiteds use the local code while being required to announce it) 125-Amsterdam, 125th & 3rd, 116 street and of course 96 street.

the uptown m102 has 125-Lenox, 116 & 3rd, and 96.

to my recollection, the 103 only has 96 as a uptown short sign. there was a downtown 96 that they stopped using a while ago (at least to my knowledge). they just decided to make runs pull in from 125th and call it a day.

Thanks, why I asked is because I remember some years back maybe 2016, I was on one of the Lexington Ave routes and the bus was only going to 34th street and then he was going to head back uptown. I don’t recall seeing a 34th street code but I remember I ended up just walking to 6th Ave and taking one of the trains over there to go downtown. 

2 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Thanks, why I asked is because I remember some years back maybe 2016, I was on one of the Lexington Ave routes and the bus was only going to 34th street and then he was going to head back uptown. I don’t recall seeing a 34th street code but I remember I ended up just walking to 6th Ave and taking one of the trains over there to go downtown. 

In my experience, a SLD will call and instruct you to make 34 street your last stop, but since there's no 34th code, they usually have you enter 42 street, then NEXT BUS PLEASE the rest of the way. what's crazy about 34th street is that the few time i was instructed to end there, i had to service the stop and use 24th street to head back uptown. very rare to be told to make the left off lex onto 34. however at 42nd, they'd allow it. go figure.

11 hours ago, Calvin said:

The roof work at Michael J Quill is still in progress, no Express routes will deadhead there but to their own depots. You'll still be able to see XD-40s on Manhattanville routes for the fall season up to the end of 2023. 

How do we know Manhattanville won't keep the XD40s? They've been using them for training too. They could potentially send LFS Hybrids to Michael J. Quill instead.

2 minutes ago, Iron Valiant said:

How do we know Manhattanville won't keep the XD40s? They've been using them for training too. They could potentially send LFS Hybrids to Michael J. Quill instead.

Its easy to see it that way considering that the XD40’s have been mostly kept on the M66, with one or two seeing service outside that route every once in a while. Lets see what dob decides to do with them once the 66 is moved back to Quill.

There will be an on-boarding difference when stepping into an Express bus. Both MCIs and Prevosts are getting the same treatment of receiving sliding door partitions by the operator side next to the farebox close to the first two rows of seats. 

* Noticed one on the BxM11 today that was an MCI, unit 3427. 

Edited by Calvin

On 8/17/2023 at 12:00 AM, Calvin said:

There will be an on-boarding difference when stepping into an Express bus. Both MCIs and Prevosts are getting the same treatment of receiving sliding door partitions by the operator side next to the farebox close to the first two rows of seats. 

* Noticed one on the BxM11 today that was an MCI, unit 3427. 

I've seen one on a CP unit it was a Prevost with the door and a glass panel in front of the first row. the driver closes the front with their door while on the highway. 

27 minutes ago, IAlam said:

I've seen one on a CP unit it was a Prevost with the door and a glass panel in front of the first row. the driver closes the front with their door while on the highway. 

Is there any picture on how this looks?

Initially I thought it was a driver shield identical to the ones on local buses but after reading your comment I’m picturing glass partition being placed before the front row  to prevent people from leaving the bus/access the drivers area when the bus is on the highway.

On 8/12/2023 at 2:38 PM, NewFlyer 230 said:

I don’t blame you, I almost forgot what that strip was called myself because no one talks about that place anymore. If you are from Queens and frequent the area you might hear it get referred to as the “colosseum block”, but in general it’s not what it used to be back in the 2000s. What you might hear it also get called and I call it this is “165th street mall”. That place has been on a decline for years. Fun little fact after decades of the old Fulton Furniture store being closed on Jamaica & 168th they have finally put scaffolding around the building and they seem to be doing something with it after all these years.

Yes, 165th st. mall is what I've heard it being referenced as.

On 8/12/2023 at 9:57 PM, SoSpectacular said:

...Not surprising that the operator put you off at the hospital, but I've only been turned short there if I was running late and getting dangerously close to the 6 hours driving time...

Are you putting it like that because it's that common, or for some other reason (if so, why aren't you surprised at that) ?

5 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Are you putting it like that because it's that common, or for some other reason (if so, why aren't you surprised at that) ?

Let's just say there's a couple of guys on the road out there that like to take advantage of certain situations to cut their time and head back to the depot... It definitely happens

On 8/12/2023 at 11:06 AM, B35 via Church said:

Not sure if this amounts to being selfish per se, but I was never fond of the B8's (well, extension in general, but specifically) routing past Remsen... It's a waste of time.... Always thought buses should stay on Av. B all the way to the end, then go E. 98th > Linden > Rockaway Pkwy., to terminate alongside the laundromat... The current stop for Brookdale Hosp. at Linden/Rockaway Pkwy. would be a Brownsville bound stop instead of a Bay Ridge bound stop.... For the return trip, buses would make that right onto Church, then go [E. 98th || Hegeman]  > [Amboy || E. 98th] > Av B > en-route to regular routing.... So basically >>This<< instead of {{this}}..... Not that this is my reason for the sentiment, but while probably petty, having the B8 destination sign read BROWNSVILLE CHURCH AV might draw more people into taking the route - even though the route literally runs on Church av. 🙈💀

Isn't this routing is being proposed for the (B8)in the BBRD?

I know there is currently a push to get more people to use public transportation due to the environment and what not. My biggest critique of this push for more public transportation usage is that service on some routes continues to run like dog crap when they shouldn’t. 

I work Saturday mornings and every week I pretty much have to deal with dog crap service on the Q25 just getting to work. There was a 40 minute gap in service today during the 7am hour and when these buses do run normal they are packed and darn near making every stop. So when service run terrible like it does most weeks how do they expect people to continue to deal with this. That is why me personally I advocate for personal car usage because we have to get around and the MTA and NICE bus prove that they can’t be relied upon. 

8 hours ago, SubBus said:

Isn't this routing is being proposed for the (B8)in the BBRD?

While they also have buses straightened to continue on Av B, they still have buses ultimately running to Rockaway av/Hegeman.... I'd have buses ending at Rockaway Pkwy/Church instead...

Part of why I'm suggesting what I am, is to do away with that WB stint on Linden... It's a ridership deterrent, as it stifles coverage in the immediate area... The current WB B8 runs on Linden b/w Rockaway av & Church, while their proposed B8 still has to run on Linden to get b/w Rockaway av & Rockaway Pkwy....

11 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I know there is currently a push to get more people to use public transportation due to the environment and what not. My biggest critique of this push for more public transportation usage is that service on some routes continues to run like dog crap when they shouldn’t. 

I work Saturday mornings and every week I pretty much have to deal with dog crap service on the Q25 just getting to work. There was a 40 minute gap in service today during the 7am hour and when these buses do run normal they are packed and darn near making every stop. So when service run terrible like it does most weeks how do they expect people to continue to deal with this. That is why me personally I advocate for personal car usage because we have to get around and the MTA and NICE bus prove that they can’t be relied upon. 

Thats College Point for you..shitty service and operators having the nerve to skip you when you’re clearly at the stop.

11 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

That's not an argument for more personal cars, that's an argument for fixing the damn management on these bus routes. It's ridiculous how badly the Q25 and Q65 run (I'm sure other CP routes run badly too but I haven't been paying attention). They get bunched up at some point during the day and there's next to no attempt to fix the bunching. I've seen days in the past few weekends where not a single bus on the Q25 wasn't bunched with another. This has been going on for years too, I remember as a kid when Orion Vs were still running that the Q25 was horribly unreliable and the Q17 was the much better alternative, so we'd walk the half a mile to the Q17 instead when we didn't want to gamble on the Q25. I think both routes should be split at Flushing since the 70min runtime of both routes certainly doesn't do them any favors, but with how bad CP management is I'm not sure if it would even help.

46 minutes ago, NBTA said:

Thats College Point for you..shitty service and operators having the nerve to skip you when you’re clearly at the stop.

This is why (although clearly dangerous) if the bus I'm trying to get on is coming to my stop and not close enough to the curb I go I to the street and wave it down and if it tries to speed up and not attempt to get into the curb I get as close to the passing bus as possible (without getting hit) so it would be forced to stop and If they still don't let me on i take my notes and report them to supervision. 

One incident I had while doing this was on the Bx22 where the Bx22 driver was so mad he actually assaulted me with his driver protection door and made a mark on my right hand. So best believe I took that to the MTA and they're lucky I didn't press charges bc I was so close to doing so but I never saw the driver again so I didn't bother.

1 hour ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

This is why (although clearly dangerous) if the bus I'm trying to get on is coming to my stop and not close enough to the curb I go I to the street and wave it down and if it tries to speed up and not attempt to get into the curb I get as close to the passing bus as possible (without getting hit) so it would be forced to stop.

Don’t do this because if the operator now decides to swerve to avoid you and causes an accident or slams on the brakes and someone on the bus gets injured, it’s a whole another issue.

2 hours ago, MTA Dude said:

That's not an argument for more personal cars, that's an argument for fixing the damn management on these bus routes. It's ridiculous how badly the Q25 and Q65 run (I'm sure other CP routes run badly too but I haven't been paying attention). They get bunched up at some point during the day and there's next to no attempt to fix the bunching. I've seen days in the past few weekends where not a single bus on the Q25 wasn't bunched with another. This has been going on for years too, I remember as a kid when Orion Vs were still running that the Q25 was horribly unreliable and the Q17 was the much better alternative, so we'd walk the half a mile to the Q17 instead when we didn't want to gamble on the Q25. I think both routes should be split at Flushing since the 70min runtime of both routes certainly doesn't do them any favors, but with how bad CP management is I'm not sure if it would even help.

Blame the street redesigns that haven't fixed or made worse the traffic conditions on the roads. Can't even use certain "backdoor" streets to be put in place because everyone else is using the same streets to circumvent traffic. It's practically hopeless to keep close to schedule. Better take what you can get or adjust your schedule to allow yourself more time.

1 hour ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

This is why (although clearly dangerous) if the bus I'm trying to get on is coming to my stop and not close enough to the curb I go I to the street and wave it down and if it tries to speed up and not attempt to get into the curb I get as close to the passing bus as possible (without getting hit) so it would be forced to stop and If they still don't let me on i take my notes and report them to supervision. 

One incident I had while doing this was on the Bx22 where the Bx22 driver was so mad he actually assaulted me with his driver protection door and made a mark on my right hand. So best believe I took that to the MTA and they're lucky I didn't press charges bc I was so close to doing so but I never saw the driver again so I didn't bother.

Don't do that. You are just asking to get hurt. Your best course of action is to put in a customer complaint if a bus flags your stop. Plain and simple. Don't be stupid.

35 minutes ago, SoSpectacular said:

Don't do that. You are just asking to get hurt. Your best course of action is to put in a customer complaint if a bus flags your stop. Plain and simple. Don't be stupid.

39 minutes ago, SevenEleven said:

Don’t do this because if the operator now decides to swerve to avoid you and causes an accident or slams on the brakes and someone on the bus gets injured, it’s a whole another issue.

I try my best not to do that and only stay a certain distance. But yes I'm definitely noting not to be stupid like that