BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

When i take s.i buses to bk...mainly the s53 and s52 when it gets crowded....every seat is filled up....and people start to stand in the high section.....then it gets.super filled...but when i go to transfer to b1 and b36 soon as about 10pple hit the rear everyone esle starts to stand leaving 6-7 seats open and no one stands in the high section....but its the same buses...is it just us staten islanders are respectful and move to the back,,,or something happened in s.i. to force everyone to move to the back to fill up room...??

Yeah, I shouted so loud on the S46 to get people to move back that the people on the S53 heard me. :D

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i dont know where esle to put this but since it involves buses ill just put it here....

wheree the hell is knightrider with all his codebreaks and exclusives?? i thought he would of been had some exclusive on the XD60 but havent heard from him in a long time...

He has a life, a family and kids.....enough said...

Forgot about it till now. The old bus shelter on the s/b side of Utica and Flatbush [just behind the Walgreens building] was torn down this week. I saw it on Wed all cleared. I figured, good since hardly anyone used that stop anyway.

Yesterday I passed by the same area and saw they installed one of the new bus shelters there. I'm thinking, WTF? what a waste of a shelter for a stop that was hardly ever used. If anything I can think of at least a few n/b B46 stops that could've used that shelter. DOT and MTA: where the hell is the coordination?

9 times out of 10 there's no one getting on at Flatbush & Utica stop, but there's times where I actually picked up there (less than 5%) and I'm sitting here thinking to myself, "why the f**k are you getting on here?"... They have the B9, B41 & Q35 stop right across the street, but standing there faithfully for the B46. Mind you, I saw about 3 buses pass on Flatbush Avenue heading towards KP too. That stop is primarily used for drop-offs only though. But whatever -- lazy bastards. lol

9 times out of 10 there's no one getting on at Flatbush & Utica stop, but there's times where I actually picked up there (less than 5%) and I'm sitting here thinking to myself, "why the f**k are you getting on here?"... They have the B9, B41 & Q35 stop right across the street, but standing there faithfully for the B46. Mind you, I saw about 3 buses pass on Flatbush Avenue heading towards KP too. That stop is primarily used for drop-offs only though. But whatever -- lazy bastards. lol

Exactly. almost every time I go past that area I don't see anyone but one guy (used to hang around there often before the walgreens building was finished). Why they would build a new shelter there makes no sense at all. Even using it for a bike rack like they do in Manhattan makes more sense. Edited by Grand Concourse

Smells like fish in this B35

welcome to the jungle....

Forgot about it till now. The old bus shelter on the s/b side of Utica and Flatbush [just behind the Walgreens building] was torn down this week. I saw it on Wed all cleared. I figured, good since hardly anyone used that stop anyway.

Yesterday I passed by the same area and saw they installed one of the new bus shelters there. I'm thinking, WTF? what a waste of a shelter for a stop that was hardly ever used. If anything I can think of at least a few n/b B46 stops that could've used that shelter. DOT and MTA: where the hell is the coordination?

Over the years, I don't know how many times (plural) I've seen the glass shattered at that stop.... I'm like, why even bother replacing the glass if virtually no one uses this stop..... Why is this particular stop being promptly upkept, when there are a myriad of other stops throughout the borough (nevermind city-wide) that don't have shelters period, or of the ones that do, are poorly maintained...... Now GC tells me they actually tore down the old one that was there & within days a new one is put up ?????

I concur with the both of you.... utica @ flatbush SB has no business being a stop, let alone new shelters being put up there.... there are more ppl. that get off at fillmore (I'm not just talkin about the buses that end at fillmore) & walk across fillmore to get to flatbush - than the actual flatbush av stop itself.... aint no one coming off the 46 lookin to xfer to the B2 alongside that rite aid (which I'll never step foot in again b/c I was treated like a criminal; who the hell counterfeits a $5, like really), and of those needing the Q35, they take the 46 to kings plz. & cross f'bush to get to the Queens bound Q35......

^Why not just make it a drop-off only stop?

That's the thing.... barely anyone gets off there to make it a dropoff only stop....

The only other stop that should exist south of fillmore, should be that stop by the waldbaums.....

(so that's fillmore, then Av T, then Kings plz. itself)

welcome to the jungle....

Over the years, I don't know how many times (plural) I've seen the glass shattered at that stop.... I'm like, why even bother replacing the glass if virtually no one uses this stop..... Why is this particular stop being promptly upkept, when there are a myriad of other stops throughout the borough (nevermind city-wide) that don't have shelters period, or of the ones that do, are poorly maintained...... Now GC tells me they actually tore down the old one that was there & within days a new one is put up ?????

I concur with the both of you.... utica @ flatbush SB has no business being a stop, let alone new shelters being put up there.... there are more ppl. that get off at fillmore (I'm not just talkin about the buses that end at fillmore) & walk across fillmore to get to flatbush - than the actual flatbush av stop itself.... aint no one coming off the 46 lookin to xfer to the B2 alongside that rite aid (which I'll never step foot in again b/c I was treated like a criminal; who the hell counterfeits a $5, like really), and of those needing the Q35, they take the 46 to kings plz. & cross f'bush to get to the Queens bound Q35......

lol... I've seen all sorts of bills held up to see if it is fake. I went to the laundry a few weeks ago and was given a $5.00 bill for change amongother bills for a $20.00 and I couldn't get the damn money to work in the machine. It was one of the older $5.00 bills so I gave it back to the lady and told her in Spanish that didn't work. She automatically took the bill and held it up to ensure that it was real before giving me a newer $5.00 bill. lol I said to myself, go on ahead and hold it up because if is a fake you're giving me a real one.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Well people really want those old black bus stops gone. On the Q25 and Q34 bus stop someone broke the glass at the shelter at Kissena Blvd and Queens College. Are all the stops that had shelters going to be replace or is it a certin amount being replace because I seen the Q58 old shelter before Flushing have leaking problems.

I was looking at this thread: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/35413-what-are-they-doing-on-the-belt-pkwy/?do=findComment&comment=543877 , and upon looking at one of the posts with the website link I stumbled upon this:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/downloads/pdf/beltpkwybrgs_eng.pdf

(go to image #22)

Looks like some old Green Lines Orion V CNG in Brooklyn.

I was looking at this thread: http://www.nyctransi...wy/#entry543877 , and upon looking at one of the posts with the website link I stumbled upon this:

http://www.nyc.gov/h...kwybrgs_eng.pdf

(go to image #22)

Looks like some old Green Lines Orion V CNG in Brooklyn.

That is a Command Bus Co. Orion V CNG.

lol... I've seen all sorts of bills held up to see if it is fake. I went to the laundry a few weeks ago and was given a $5.00 bill for change amongother bills for a $20.00 and I couldn't get the damn money to work in the machine. It was one of the older $5.00 bills so I gave it back to the lady and told her in Spanish that didn't work. She automatically took the bill and held it up to ensure that it was real before giving me a newer $5.00 bill. lol I said to myself, go on ahead and hold it up because if is a fake you're giving me a real one.

What I don't get is when people hold up 1's, 5's, and those low amounts. Why counterfeit one of those when you can counterfeit a 50 for similar money/effort?

What I don't get is when people hold up 1's, 5's, and those low amounts. Why counterfeit one of those when you can counterfeit a 50 for similar money/effort?

$50 bills are harder to counterfeit. They are harder because they are worth more money.

The Manhattan Bus map does not work for me. I use chrome. The (MTA)'s PDF might not support Adobe Reader in chrome.

The smaller the bill the less suspicion is usually given, so if someone was trying to pass off counterfeits they could go around with the small amounts and make small purchases and get the change (real bills from it). It has happened in the past where individuals were circulating counterfeits ($50s or $100s I believe) and they were really good at it, so good that the bills passed the usual "inspections" if you may and they flooded the system with the fake bills which can create serious problems for a country's currency. I don't know if it is happened here on a large scale before, but I do know that it happened in Canada some years ago, and for a small business of course if you get hit with the right amount it can be a big deal, so I would be checking too, because you are left with the loss if it is money.

Funny thing is the credit cards are really the next big thing. The crooks use the same tactic. Start charging small amounts which most clueless customers don't even notice since they don't check their accounts/statements regularly (I check mine daily) and so before they know it they go for the kill and wipe them out. Usually the banks take care of it so long as it is reported within a certain amount of time. Happened to an ex co-worker of mine. Someone wiped out her savings account when she went to put in for a mortgage w/Chase. Pretty scary to say the least.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8