BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

The LIE has been like a parking lot, as have most expressways because it's been raining and/or foggy the entire week... Ih the mornings, three days this week I didn't even bother with the express bus going in because both the Major Deegan and Harlem River Drive were slammed... Accidents, poor visibility and other nonsense.

No it hasn't....I've been taking the LIE home this entire week from work all throughout the rush hour even on the express bus. Things were pretty average along the LIE.

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Xcelsior. For the guy on the 36/1 I think ik who ur talking about made numerous complaints about him myself, he didn't stop for wheelchair passenger's and over the past year I had him almost every day either in the A.M. or P.M.. I am sure this is the same guy as before

Random thought of the day: Yesterday the farebox on the B36 was broken (as usual) and people were boarding w/o paying, in result the B/O was actually on time picking me up and dropping for the first time ever. Says a lot about how effective SBS can be where people dont delay the bus while inserting thier coins

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Edited by NYSubwayBuff

No it hasn't....I've been taking the LIE home this entire week from work all throughout the rush hour even on the express bus. Things were pretty average along the LIE.

lol... And what exactly is average?  Perhaps the thought process is that they aren't saving much time.  From what I've been seeing on the news, the expressways have been a mess.

lol... And what exactly is average? Perhaps the thought process is that they aren't saving much time. From what I've been seeing on the news, the expressways have been a mess.

Traffic mostly started at Grand Avenue and then it starts moving after Queens Blvd. That's an everyday thing. The news always exaggerates. It's not that long of a distance. It's never a standstill, it moves.

The Grand Central to the Van Wyck however has been much more worse than usual.

Edited by Cait Sith

Traffic mostly started at Grand Avenue and then it starts moving after Queens Blvd. That's an everyday thing. The news always exaggerates. It's not that long of a distance. It's never a standstill, it moves.

The Grand Central to the Van Wyck however has been much more worse than usual.

Not really, my BM5 ride has been smooth all week.

Well at night I imagine that it's fine... During the mornings can vary though.  Now that the brats are out of school (some of them anyway), traffic has generally been better, but if it rains like it did most of last week, forget it.

And why are we brats exactly? Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I don't know about you personally, but I feel that the kids in this younger generation (high school age) have a false sense on entitlement. They want the world without having to work for it...

Its not just high schoolers that is how all of non-immigrant america is. That is why people who are born here would rather be "managers" and do nothing than actually work for real like the immigrants who come to this country and don't take freedom for granted and work for a better life not like Americans who were born here feel everything is given to them.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I don't know about you personally, but I feel that the kids in this younger generation (high school age) have a false sense on entitlement. They want the world without having to work for it...

Heh... Tell me about it... High school age and the ones in my generation too... Want everything handed to them... <_<

@Abba I have had that problem before, mostly on MTA Bus fareboxes on the B103 or the BM3. The MTA Bus fareboxes are diffrently built and from a different manufactrer than the NYCT fareboxes Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I've never had that problem... Then again I usually use Unlimited Metrocards... I have to say when I do use Pay-Per-Rides, the fareboxes have been working well.  Used one a few weeks ago for about four days or so since I wanted my Unlimited card to start during the weekend.

Heh... Tell me about it... High school age and the ones in my generation too... Want everything handed to them... <_<

This is surprising, coming from a fellow Gen X-er.... Seems as if you bought into the baby boomer crap too (that *80's babies are just lazy* rhetoric)...

See, a lot of baby boomers (of course, not all... because I get a lot of info about this from those born in that era, that aren't playing oblivious/stupid to what's going on in today's times) like to play ignorant/downplay the fact that they didn't "hand" down much of anything to their offspring, the same way they were by those that lived in the silent generation (the generation before theirs).... The hardest thing for anyone to do in most instances is self-reflection; looking in the mirror.... Case in point, The amount of older people that are living in poverty is in no, way, shape, or form, the fault of their own offspring.... To sort of sum it up, they had all those kids they couldn't provide futures for (sound familiar, like...our generation maybe?)... Even the lucky few (another name for the silent generation) get after that to those born in the baby boomer era, about that...... How is it that they're in agreement as far as that goes, with Gen x-ers & Millennnials....

It all starts with a foundation... Without that, there's gonna be a cripple effect - THIS is what started in our generation, not that we're so lazy crap.... Yeah, the wanting of a handout is gonna trickle on down to the Millennials & the Gen Z folks (the latter being the grand-kids of our generation)..... There is no reason to believe that if we gen x-ers started off with a solid foundation like the baby boomers received from the generation prior, that we'd squander that same foundation coming from them....

There is a link/a common bond between those that lived in the silent generation (of which are still living obviously), and those that born in gen x.... I find that you have a lot of those born in our generation that outright despise their own parents.... I mean, this is all pretty deep stuff.... We are also the generation (for the most part) that started off coming from a broken home - THIS also started in our generation....

I feel where these kids are coming from, and it's not their fault.... All I'm saying with this is, it isn't our (gen x-ers) fault either (the ones that birthed the HS kids today).... We started off with shaky ground/foundation like they did (although I'll admit it's worse w/ them & the course they're going on)..... Another way to put it is, Kids don't birth their own parents..... Some things I still think baby boomers are leaving in the dark to their own offspring, but whatever.

Funny shit is, they get after us 80's babies about having all these kids....

Kettle, meet pot - It's just as black as you are....

Its not just high schoolers that is how all of non-immigrant america is. That is why people who are born here would rather be "managers" and do nothing than actually work for real like the immigrants who come to this country and don't take freedom for granted and work for a better life not like Americans who were born here feel everything is given to them.

Sounds like you're talking about white corporate america, in comparison to blue collar immigrants..... That is a whole 'nother topic.

All I'm gonna say to this for now is, you still have the same problem of immigrant offspring wanting handouts from others (in this country, at least)..... This isn't just a problem that non-immigrant children have/are facing.....

I was wondering does the coin collectors on buses sometimes miss a coin.Tonight I believed I paid $2.50 but is said only I paid $2.25.anyone ever have this problem

That used to happen during the PBL days on the PBL's for me.... Nowadays, I wouldn't know because I haven't paid in coins on a NYC bus in years.....

Edited by B35 via Church

This is surprising, coming from a fellow Gen X-er.... Seems as if you bought into the baby boomer crap too (that *80's babies are just lazy* rhetoric)...

Not at all. Just my personal observations... Everyone wants to live the flashy life and get ahead quickly, and hard work seems to be scorned.  I realize that the economy stinks, but those who are realistic and work hard still get ahead.  There's also this feeling that everyone is too good to do X job.  Too much pride as well... I've done all sorts of jobs.  It's all about doing what you have to do to get ahead and make a way for yourself.  In short, I see a lot of young folks that lack hustle...

It's all over 3rd Ave...so wait....

When the B37 starts...where will the B70 go? And I also saw the B8 signs from the VA Hospital to 95st (R) station change from night service to full service.

The B37 will return on June 29th. The B70 will return to it's pre-June 2010 route.

Not at all. Just my personal observations...

Everyone wants to live the flashy life and get ahead quickly, and hard work seems to be scorned.  I realize that the economy stinks, but those who are realistic and work hard still get ahead.  There's also this feeling that everyone is too good to do X job.  Too much pride as well... I've done all sorts of jobs.  It's all about doing what you have to do to get ahead and make a way for yourself.  In short, I see a lot of young folks that lack hustle...

Right, but it started from somewhere though....

See, if I start from nothing, I have to look to strike a lottery (not literally, but it's not out of the question) just to get off a shaky foundation.... Either that, or beg someone else for a handout - which ranges from panhandling - to actually filling out a job application, going through a screening process, and landing a job (which all we're doing is making someone else rich by doing that).....

It's no accident that you're hearing so much of a push to start your own business as of late (speaking of the economy).... People scream that shit, but never give details as to how to start one... Notice you don't see a plethora of businesses plopping (or propping) up all over the place... That should come as a shock to no one!

This wanting to live a flashy lifestyle I'd argue is an outcry for attention, on top of trying to make it in this world (in the way they see fit)... The whole *work is for suckers* bit that you'll hear from a lot of younger folks who quite frankly, never grew up in an era where they saw hard working men & women around them..... If you don't have hard work on your hard drive, you can't expect that person to respect it....

Working hard might seem like common sense, but it isn't inherent in human beings.....

Edited by B35 via Church

It started from somewhere though....

See, if I start from nothing, I have to look to strike a lottery (not literally, but it's not out of the question) just to get off a shaky foundation....

This wanting to live a flashy lifestyle I'd argue is an outcry for attention, on top of trying to make it in this world (in the way they see fit)... The whole *work is for suckers* bit that you'll hear from a lot of younger folks who quite frankly, never grew up in an era where they saw hard working men & women around them..... If you don't have hard work on your hard drive, you can't expect that person to respect it.... Working hard might seem like common sense, but it isn't inherent in human beings.....

That's apparently true...

That's apparently true...

.....and that's the essence of what I'm getting at.

I'm sick & tired of hearing elders on this *young folks today... are so lazy.... they don't want to do nothin for themselves*, like it is inherent.... When it's not.

How's this for a kick in the balls..... I have actually heard homeless MF-ers (plural... meaning on a couple occasions) spew that rhetoric on the subway... Yeah, because young folks want to strive to be where you're at... GTFOH.....