BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Yes, only some (MTA) Bus express buses.  No need to replace all of them yet... Start with some of 2005 models.  The ones out in Queens look the worst out all of all of them...

The problem is the 2005 are in the best condition Yonkers and Eastchester actually take care of their buses.  :lol: 

College Point has mostly 2006 buses. 

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem is the 2005 are in the best condition Yonkers and Eastchester actually take care of their buses.  :lol:

College Point has mostly 2006 buses. 

Those CP units have really been put through a lot. They have a lot of routes which are pretty long themselves (besides the QM10, and maybe the QM12), and also run most of the off-peak express bus service in Queens, so those buses are out there on the streets a lot. However, they still look decent enough to continue running (for the most part). On some buses, you already hear how the engine noises have changed, and how they start to sound like the SI units.

Did anyone else notice that TTMG's domain name timed out?

TTMG has always had problems for me, the wiki is always down, they stopped blogging, photos glitch out on my browser, stuff isn't updated much anymore. Although I do have respect for the creators, I just can't rely on it anymore.  :mellow:

Bills have not been paid. So yes, the site and the wiki is down.

People do have things to do outside of the internet.

Edited by Cait Sith

This dude climbing the Trump Tower in Midtown is gridlock around 5th Ave & 57th.... bus service in Manhattan must be FUBAR right now  :lol:

I was streaming it now... Just got off of a conference call and now I need to make my way to the Upper East Side from my office to get dinner since I'm staying in the city tonight... Should be a lot of fun...  <_<

This dude climbing the Trump Tower in Midtown is gridlock around 5th Ave & 57th.... bus service in Manhattan must be FUBAR right now  :lol:

I was coming in from Jersey city and I wasn't sure if I wanted to go to 33rd and take the QM10 or go to WTC and take the QM11. I definitely made the right choice downtown to QCM in 40 mins almost no traffic. 

I was coming in from Jersey city and I wasn't sure if I wanted to go to 33rd and take the QM10 or go to WTC and take the QM11. I definitely made the right choice downtown to QCM in 40 mins almost no traffic. 

3rd Avenue wasn't that bad. Traffic was mostly on 5th, Park & Lex.

Does anyone know why bustime isn't able to track a route or two? I can't track the B15 or B83 which is weird...

Update;After checking the other routes in the city it seems only ENY routes are affected by this no schedule at this time BS that's going on. My only question at this point is are they testing or updating something at ENY to cause it's routes to be untrackable?

Edited by B102 LTD

When did they change the Bx10 route? Rode it both ways today for the first time in a couple weeks and I was surprised to see it now remains on Paul Ave all the way to Sedgewick, and no longer goes via Goulden. And also has has a new stop at the corner of Paul and Sedgewick!

Weird, last week it was on Paul but on Monday I rode it and it went via Goulden both ways.

When did they change the Bx10 route? Rode it both ways today for the first time in a couple weeks and I was surprised to see it now remains on Paul Ave all the way to Sedgewick, and no longer goes via Goulden. And also has has a new stop at the corner of Paul and Sedgewick!

Weird, last week it was on Paul but on Monday I rode it and it went via Goulden both ways.

Bustime shows the route as Sedgwick, Goulden, 205th, then Paul, and vice versa. IIRC there was construction work on Goulden sometime over the past year (or year and a half), so those signs are still there. Not exactly sure why buses are running straight on Paul to Sedgwick though...

Does anyone know why bustime isn't able to track a route or two? I can't track the B15 or B83 which is weird...

Update;After checking the other routes in the city it seems only ENY routes are affected by this no schedule at this time BS that's going on. My only question at this point is are they testing or updating something at ENY to cause it's routes to be untrackable?

Correct only ENY is affected

You referenced the QM10 and traffic.....I was simply stating how 3rd Avenue wasn't that bad with traffic(since the QM10 has a 3rd Avenue branch)

The QM10 has a 3rd Avenue branch too? Christ... If I were the (MTA) I would have the QM10 restructured or something to get more ridership and if they can't get more, then cut one of those branches.  The PM ridership that I see along 6th Avenue is a joke. I wouldn't eliminate the route outright, but find a way to get ridership out of it at least. 

The QM10 has a 3rd Avenue branch too? Christ... If I were the (MTA) I would have the QM10 restructured or something to get more ridership and if they can't get more, then cut one of those branches.  The PM ridership that I see along 6th Avenue is a joke. I wouldn't eliminate the route outright, but find a way to get ridership out of it at least. 

I wonder if people ride the 3rd ave branch. 

I suppose they do given the schedule, but on 30 minute headways at night, those buses can't be too crowded.  It's clear based on the combined schedule that they get better service with the 3rd and 6th Avenue branches though so I don't know.  Seems similar to the Parkchester situation.  If that complex doesn't have folks using the bus, the line doesn't get ridership from elsewhere....

Isn't the QM10 one of the routes that will have one of its branches renumbered later on this year?

Yes... The 3rd Avenue branch will become the QM40... Thinking about it now it isn't that terrible of an idea... I mean we have the same thing in Riverdale... BxM1 3rd Avenue/Lexington Avenue branch... BxM2 6th/7th Avenue branch, and we still interchange between the two routes as needed, and of course the BxM18 Downtown/5th Avenue/Madison Avenue branch.  I wrote to the (MTA) and suggested that they market the BxM18 as a Super Express option for folks in Midtown instead as the Downtown express bus, but I don't see that changing.  More of the ridership seems to be coming from us folks in Midtown since it provides us with a much quicker commute.  The problem is some people who work in Midtown don't even know about the BxM18 because they didn't realize it makes stops in Midtown.  At all bus stops in Riverdale, the BxM18 has its destination as "Downtown" which automatically makes people think that it doesn't stop in Midtown.  You would only know if you explored the schedule as I did.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Yes... The 3rd Avenue branch will become the QM40... Thinking about it now it isn't that terrible of an idea... I mean we have the same thing in Riverdale... BxM1 3rd Avenue/Lexington Avenue branch... BxM2 6th/7th Avenue branch, and we still interchange between the two routes as needed, and of course the BxM18 Downtown/5th Avenue/Madison Avenue branch.  I wrote to the (MTA) and suggested that they market the BxM18 as a Super Express option for folks in Midtown instead as the Downtown express bus, but I don't see that changing.  More of the ridership seems to be coming from us folks in Midtown since it provides us with a much quicker commute.  The problem is some people who work in Midtown don't even know about the BxM18 because they didn't realize it makes stops in Midtown.  At all bus stops in Riverdale, the BxM18 has its destination as "Downtown" which automatically makes people think that it doesn't stop in Midtown.  You would only know if you explored the schedule as I did.

Kind of a side track, where is the pick up stop in Midtown (to go to Downtown) I never seem to find it everytime I look for it. Also do you know if people even get on the BXM18 in Midtown to go to Downtown?

The QM10 has a 3rd Avenue branch too? Christ... If I were the (MTA) I would have the QM10 restructured or something to get more ridership and if they can't get more, then cut one of those branches. The PM ridership that I see along 6th Avenue is a joke. I wouldn't eliminate the route outright, but find a way to get ridership out of it at least.

Oddly enough, the very first PM bus gets more riders than the others on a typical day, at about 6-7 riders. The others, lol.... I've seen some with only one rider by the time it hits the bridge.

I've mentioned it before, but the QM10 should make stops in Maspeth. There are riders who take the Q67 down to connect to the QM24/25/34, since the Q58 and Q59 to the (M)(R) are a joke. People have complained at local meetings about the lack of express buses, and to an extent, that's partially the QM24 has a lot of service, especially in the AM. It would take about 20 minutes at most during the AM rush to get to 34 or 38 Street, and 35 at nost to 57 Street.

In addition, the Woodhaven Blvd stops and Rego Park Stops woupd all be eliminated. Now with the QM12 stopping at Woodhaven, it is more ideal. Leave the Rego Park stops to the QM12, as it can handle the ridership from Rego Park. The QM12 would run via 63 Road in the PM instead of on the LIE Service Riad (no one gets off there, and quite frankly, I'd say those riders on 62 Road use the QM10 in the PM since it stops directly in front of the apartments).The QM10 would serve LeFrak City, South Elmhurst, and Maspeth (runtime would be the same from end to end).

Edited by BM5 via WOODHAVEN BL

Kind of a side track, where is the pick up stop in Midtown (to go to Downtown) I never seem to find it everytime I look for it. Also do you know if people even get on the BXM18 in Midtown to go to Downtown?

The transfer points are at 35th Street downtown and both 44th Street or 56th Street going uptown. Also, I doubt anyone from Midtown would ride the Bx!18 downtown (not even sure if they can, they might need a transfer), plus it'd be kinda useless spending $6.50 when they can take the train or a local / limited bus downtown for just $2.75.