BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Image from S79 SBS shows old fare sticker, an apparent symptom of neglect.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MO-rZ51bLdg9YxC99RyN-3KvLBpGC_XFWw

The Borough that we forgot

This is why #statenisland residents feel #forgotten by #nyc:

I saw this #negligent #afterthought affixed to an S79 LTD #earlier this week.

My post on Twitter: https://t.co/DrrjJYqZ1v

I find it amusing that the Mayor is only now focusing on Richmond County residents.

Why are you blaming the mayor for something the depot is responsible for?? 

It's actually pretty common to see something like this on any of the older buses given that the depots slap the current fare stickers on top of the old ones. This isn't a sign of neglect like you say it is as the sticker could of just fallen off from the bus at some point just like a depot sticker.

Exactly, though I will admit that most of the blunders that I see tend to be on SI buses.  Just shoddy maintenance overall.  It comes down to the management at the depot on how well they run things.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Image from S79 SBS shows old fare sticker, an apparent symptom of neglect.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MO-rZ51bLdg9YxC99RyN-3KvLBpGC_XFWw

The Borough that we forgot

This is why #statenisland residents feel #forgotten by #nyc:

I saw this #negligent #afterthought affixed to an S79 LTD #earlier this week.

My post on Twitter: https://t.co/DrrjJYqZ1v

I find it amusing that the Mayor is only now focusing on Richmond County residents.

Where do I begin? (rolls eyes)

SMH. Waited 20 minutes for an X1 in the middle of rush hour (there ended up being 2 X1s, an X3, and an X4 showing up at the same time). 

Seems like every bus now day,

These bus drivers must be too scared to drive by themselves now so they travel in groups. You know what they say "safety in numbers."  :lol:  

Seems like every bus now day,

These bus drivers must be too scared to drive by themselves now so they travel in groups. You know what they say "safety in numbers."  :lol:  

LOL.

Yeah, what's with the express buses arriving in packs? The X27/37 do that now in the morning. I don't remember this before...

I guess with BusTime, the dispatchers figure there's no need to monitor the buses as closely. (**shrugs**)

On a side note, I wonder if it's construction-related or what, but the X11/17A/19 start at Chambers & Church instead of Worth Street. I've been getting out at the back exit of Chambers Street lately, and noticed the sign, but assumed it was an error. But lo and behold, there was an X19 waiting there today, and I noticed X11 & X17A buses making the turn from Chambers instead of coming from further up Broadway.

LOL.

I guess with BusTime, the dispatchers figure there's no need to monitor the buses as closely. (**shrugs**)

On a side note, I wonder if it's construction-related or what, but the X11/17A/19 start at Chambers & Church instead of Worth Street. I've been getting out at the back exit of Chambers Street lately, and noticed the sign, but assumed it was an error. But lo and behold, there was an X19 waiting there today, and I noticed X11 & X17A buses making the turn from Chambers instead of coming from further up Broadway.

It is construction related. They're doing work on Worth St.

Morning boys and girls.... 6015 is in service on the M102 right now heading downtown. (couldn't get a pic [emoji19])

These buses are about to be so photogenic in the city. EVERYONE gonna be taking pictures.

6043 on the M101 LTD.

Source: Check Instagram #MTA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

It's actually pretty common to see something like this on any of the older buses given that the depots slap the current fare stickers on top of the old ones. This isn't a sign of neglect like you say it is as the sticker could of just fallen off from the bus at some point just like a depot sticker.

I figured. I just used it as an example that Mayor de Blasio (nor the MTA) are not concerned with the city as a whole (which is five boroughs last I checked).

A Tale of Two Mayors, a Richmond County Horror Story

Why are you blaming the mayor for something the depot is responsible for?? 

That was a tie-in.

Of course I know the mayor has nothing to do with transit in NYC. I'm one of the 19% that understand where the strands are attached on this vicous political spiderweb.

It does help going to transit fairs around the region. It's not in the best interest of riders to be blindsided on details, but they shouldn't expect politicians or the MTA to willingly fill in.

Riders need to dig.

I figured. I just used it as an example that Mayor de Blasio (nor the MTA) are not concerned with the city as a whole (which is five boroughs last I checked).

A Tale of Two Mayors, a Richmond County Horror Story

That was a tie-in.

Of course I know the mayor has nothing to do with transit in NYC. I'm one of the 19% that understand where the strands are attached on this vicous political spiderweb.

It does help going to transit fairs around the region. It's not in the best interest of riders to be blindsided on details, but they shouldn't expect politicians or the MTA to willingly fill in.

Riders need to dig.

You used a poor example to illustrate your point, since de Blasio has nothing to with that.  He has of late been paying some attention to Staten Island, but then again he also lost Staten Island, as a good portion of Staten Islanders lean Republican, though that has been changing, as the demographics shift in some parts (especially the North Shore).  In any event, he just spent an entire week there, so so such much for your claims.

http://nypost.com/2017/04/14/de-blasio-learned-nothing-on-his-week-long-staten-island-visit/

You used a poor example to illustrate your point, since de Blasio has nothing to with that.  He has of late been paying some attention to Staten Island, but then again he also lost Staten Island, as a good portion of Staten Islanders lean Republican, though that has been changing, as the demographics shift in some parts (especially the North Shore).  In any event, he just spent an entire week there, so so such much for your claims.

http://nypost.com/2017/04/14/de-blasio-learned-nothing-on-his-week-long-staten-island-visit/

I do follow the news. I actually read that article the day it was published.

You're right. He was probably a bad tie-in.

Nonetheless it's an election year, although I commend him (and Dept of Santiation) for not leaving them buried alive in tons of snow...

I do follow the news. I actually read that article the day it was published.

You're right. He was probably a bad tie-in.

Nonetheless it's an election year, although I commend him (and Dept of Santiation) for not leaving them buried alive in tons of snow...

Of course he's doing this because it is an election year.  The only time that Staten Island really received attention was when Giuliani was in office and to some extent during Bloomberg's time in office.  Staten Island is not like the other boroughs.  Its needs are different, and so a different approach has to be taken.  The biggest issues facing the island are infrastructure, improved roads, and over development.  Crime isn't really a big problem compared to other boroughs, and it is the richest borough, even richer than Manhattan based on median income, so he is right about a good portion of Staten Islanders having good paying jobs, since many of them live in houses with dual incomes.  Gentrification isn't really an issue there either due to its location, lack of a subway and isolation, and many neighborhoods are either middle to upper middle class, so they are already established and don't need to be gentrified. He would be well served to probably not try to re-zone areas the way he has in Brooklyn and the Bronx.  

Of course he's doing this because it is an election year.  The only time that Staten Island really received attention was when Giuliani was in office and to some extent during Bloomberg's time in office.  Staten Island is not like the other boroughs.  Its needs are different, and so a different approach has to be taken.  The biggest issues facing the island are infrastructure, improved roads, and over development.  Crime isn't really a big problem compared to other boroughs, and it is the richest borough, even richer than Manhattan based on median income, so he is right about a good portion of Staten Islanders having good paying jobs, since many of them live in houses with dual incomes.  Gentrification isn't really an issue there either due to its location, lack of a subway and isolation, and many neighborhoods are either middle to upper middle class, so they are already established and don't need to be gentrified. He would be well served to probably not try to re-zone areas the way he has in Brooklyn and the Bronx.  

Do you think there's a way to extend a portion of the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail to cover the West Shore? The last stop for HBLR is about twelve miles or less from Port Richmond (over the river).

I understand that the agencies are different, but squabbling aside, would there be an additional benefit for both sides (SI- an easier way to access NYC) (HBLR- an additional revenue stream)?

Good point. At some times, it seems Staten Island is only receiving that Mall and Ferris Wheel and nothing else. Heck even this new "citywide" ferry bypasses them completely (however they are getting a ferry from St George to Midtown soon, I heard)

Do you think there's a way to extend a portion of the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail to cover the West Shore? The last stop for HBLR is about twelve miles or less from Port Richmond (over the river).

I understand that the agencies are different, but squabbling aside, would there be an additional benefit for both sides (SI- an easier way to access NYC) (HBLR- an additional revenue stream)?

That's been studied a lot...  IIRC the renovation of the Bayonne can theoretically support light rail. 

Personally as someone who used to live on the North Shore, I wasn't wild about the idea of re-activating rail service along the North Shore.   As I said before, Staten Island is unique from the other boroughs.  A good amount of Islanders are opposed to rail service because it could bring more people there than the infrastructure could support. If anything better ferry service and express bus service is the way to go, and I did participate in helping to improve express bus service, going back to the late 2000s when Vito Fossella was in office. He would send us ongoing updates about improvements to express bus service, including the implementation of the HOV lane from the SIE through Brooklyn.

Good point. At some times, it seems Staten Island is only receiving that Mall and Ferris Wheel and nothing else. Heck even this new "citywide" ferry bypasses them completely (however they are getting a ferry from St George to Midtown soon, I heard)

There has been talk about a fast ferry service for parts of the South Shore I believe.  As to if and when it will be implemented, that's anyone's guess. The location of where to put the dock has been a source of contention.  People would still have to get to it to reach the dock, so the question is what do you set up?  Park-and-rides? Shuttle buses?  I think the goal is to reduce congestion, but a park-and-ride wouldn't necessarily do that. For now I would say we'll continue to see a push for more buses if anything (both local and express).  It's the cheapest option and the easiest to implement.  I was involved in the citywide ferry service meetings in the boroughs and that was a different project completely.  Those boats will likely be smaller than what would be needed for Staten Island, since the citywide ferry service will only serve select neighborhoods like Bay Ridge, the Rockaways and so on, but yes, there are a lot of areas that complained about being left out, such as parts of Throggs Neck.  They wanted ferry service as well. Meanwhile places like Soundview will get it and I'm not sure that many people will use it, though it will actually be in Shorehaven.  I think maybe two or three people showed up to the meeting in Soundview.  There were more people there from the City along with myself than anyone else. lol

I just noticed they moved the westbound B12 stop at East NY Ave and Fulton st

A little late to the party good sir lol...

They moved both the 12 and 25 first stop to Alabama Av (i still dont agree with it, but i digress) and got rid of the haphazard U-turn both used to do