Jump to content

Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
EE Broadway Local

BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I think he’s referring to photos like this and others where the depot uses duct tape to hold buses together. The bus numbers are a cosmetic thing, but maintenance is a problem at that depot and has been for many years.

49564151_10215914235121509_1222452837535

 

Reminds me of NJ Transit. I read that many of their buses and rail stations are not only filthy, but poorly maintained. I really HATE the fact that they overcharge for tickets to NY--why? 😕

Edited by lara8710

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

10 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Not for nothing, but numbers is just a cosmetic thing. I don't see how that correlates into them being "unprofessional". Things happen that could have caused those decals to slip off.

I'm saying unprofessional as they don't do things to perfection. It's like just do it to do it to get it done. Take pride in your equipment, jeez. 

Poor decals on buses, looks like children put them together. 

Back in the days, they used to cut the wires on the Orion Vs back doors, so they wouldn't stay open. 

Once something happens to a bus, don't expect it to look the same afterwards. 

All because of that "It's just numbers, who the hell cares" attitude. 


 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, lara8710 said:

Reminds me of NJ Transit. I read that many of their buses and rail stations are not only filthy, but poorly maintained. I really HATE the fact that they overcharge for tickets to NY--why? 😕

Lack of competition... I used to fly into Newark because airfare is around $20 cheaper than JFK or LGA, but now that NJT charges so much I might as well fly to LGA... at least I will only need to pay $6 when the PATH gets extended to EWR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

I remember when KB first got the NGs the driver told a W/C rider the ramp wasn't working. Seriously doubt the W/C ramp was broke on a damn near new bus at the time...

NG lifts suck btw, but they do have a manual operation if the power does not work.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

 

I'm saying unprofessional as they don't do things to perfection. It's like just do it to do it to get it done. Take pride in your equipment, jeez. 

Poor decals on buses, looks like children put them together. 

Back in the days, they used to cut the wires on the Orion Vs back doors, so they wouldn't stay open. 

Once something happens to a bus, don't expect it to look the same afterwards. 

All because of that "It's just numbers, who the hell cares" attitude. 


 

 

I spoke with someone at the (MTA) about this the other day and we both agreed that it's a managerial problem, and it won't change until there's a huge shakeup on Staten Island. When that will happen is anyone's guess. A big part of the problem is express bus service is a MUST there. There is NO subway at all and the SIR only serves a part of the island, so it's the express bus or a long bus to the ferry to the subway ride for most, and everyone knows this, so this is why the attitude can fester the way that it has.  The people running the show have power and any time that anyone tries to step in and make change they face push back (to put it lightly without going into details).  The B/Os aren't going to say anything, but I'm sure some of them know the deal out of depots like Yukon.  Cait can talk to the cows come home about how it isn't a big deal.  People on the inside know what goes on on the island. It's a problem and a big one and the bus numbers are just the tip of the iceberg. Maintenance remains horrendous overall.  No other way to put it...

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

 

I'm saying unprofessional as they don't do things to perfection. It's like just do it to do it to get it done. Take pride in your equipment, jeez. 

Poor decals on buses, looks like children put them together. 

Back in the days, they used to cut the wires on the Orion Vs back doors, so they wouldn't stay open. 

Once something happens to a bus, don't expect it to look the same afterwards. 

All because of that "It's just numbers, who the hell cares" attitude. 


 

 

But that's just it....its just numbers lol. You should know by now that things won't look the same at any depot.

Edited by Cait Sith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The best sounding buses in the entire fleet are those Carrier HVAC Nova LFSAs 5895-5986, 5253-5363. My goodness I can't get over them buses, especially when they haul. The ex Casey Stengel batch are the best ones too. 

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

This thought just occurred to me. I've never seen an MCI or express bus at an CMF before LOL

They stay in and out of Zerega all the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OMG I LOVED THOSE BUSES TOO!!! I WAS SO PISSED when they took them off the Q44, my home line. Gave us some subpar Allison XD60's I'm gonna be quite honest, they're just okay IMO but man those novas. Why the MTA take em away, I don't care if you giving us some high-tech blue and yellow shit, gimme the NOVAs

  • LMAO! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nah the best sounding Nova's in the fleet are the 1200s, followed by the 2018s. The other ones in between are nothing to write home about and are just bland.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

This thought just occurred to me. I've never seen an MCI or express bus at an CMF before LOL

I've seen one at ENY during the summer, 22xx. (cant remember the number)

2 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

Is 145 (ex-7685) still trackable? 

Last time i tried to track it, Bustime gave 2 7685's across the bronx. Impossible to know which is which

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Train92 said:

Last time i tried to track it, Bustime gave 2 7685's across the bronx. Impossible to know which is which

That probably explains why I kept seeing it on both the Bx11 and Bx32 simultaneously lmao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Train92 said:

I've seen one at ENY during the summer, 22xx. (cant remember the number)

Last time i tried to track it, Bustime gave 2 7685's across the bronx. Impossible to know which is which

 

3 minutes ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

That probably explains why I kept seeing it on both the Bx11 and Bx32 simultaneously lmao

Yeah, there's two 7685s in the tracking system. It appears one on route (while the other disappears), and then it switches. To my luck, I always end up catching the Xcelsior one.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Nah the best sounding Nova's in the fleet are the 1200s, followed by the 2018s. The other ones in between are nothing to write home about and are just bland.

Okay, best sounding I agree are the 1200s but the 2018s barely make noise. They are designed to be quieter. The 1200s are incredibly weak from a driving standpoint so I think these 2012's are that perfect in between. I'll really just take any nova tbh but new flyer is meh, I see stuff falling apart and most of it is cosmetic stuff but I've seen multiple compartments of the bus which are supposed to be locked come loose. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Judging from the alteration of the L train shutdown and the recent bus moves it looks like the RTS from Jamaica are going to be retired sooner than we think. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, danielhg121 said:

Okay, best sounding I agree are the 1200s but the 2018s barely make noise. They are designed to be quieter. 

I'll beg to differ. The Quill one's are broken in a bit and make a nice roar/ringing noise now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NewFlyerFan said:

I always found the 2015-2016 ZF XD60s to sound pretty nice with the HVAC on.

Yes, those buses are up there too, but I haven't seen any recent on board videos recently. I'm sure they have tons of sound effects too. 

1 hour ago, Around the Horn said:

Nah the best sounding Nova's in the fleet are the 1200s, followed by the 2018s. The other ones in between are nothing to write home about and are just bland.

The 2018s?? THOSE sound bland. No type of sound effects. I mean there's like no videos of them hauling on YouTube. It's like no one does on board videos anymore. From the videos I've seen, they sound sluggish. I'll give them credit, that from the outside, with the fans going off, they sound pretty good. 

 

2 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

OMG I LOVED THOSE BUSES TOO!!! I WAS SO PISSED when they took them off the Q44, my home line. Gave us some subpar Allison XD60's I'm gonna be quite honest, they're just okay IMO but man those novas. Why the MTA take em away, I don't care if you giving us some high-tech blue and yellow shit, gimme the NOVAs

Honestly I agree lmaoo. I love Xcelsiors, but if I rode the Q44, I would prefer THOSE Carrier Novas. And they had the TV screens. Can't wait till those buses get repainted and upgraded with WiFi and USB ports. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Yes, those buses are up there too, but I haven't seen any recent on board videos recently. I'm sure they have tons of sound effects too. 

The 2018s?? THOSE sound bland. No type of sound effects. I mean there's like no videos of them hauling on YouTube. It's like no one does on board videos anymore. From the videos I've seen, they sound sluggish. I'll give them credit, that from the outside, with the fans going off, they sound pretty good. 

 

Honestly I agree lmaoo. I love Xcelsiors, but if I rode the Q44, I would prefer THOSE Carrier Novas. And they had the TV screens. Can't wait till those buses get repainted and upgraded with WiFi and USB ports. 

 

The MTA bus XD60s dont have any sound effects really. The 2018 Novas are far from slow, they ops just dont haul ass (mainly the M34 and M86 ones are slow)

 

As far as usb ports they wont bother. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Jdog14 said:

 

The MTA bus XD60s dont have any sound effects really. The 2018 Novas are far from slow, they ops just dont haul ass (mainly the M34 and M86 ones are slow)

 

As far as usb ports they wont bother. 

Really? Well now that I think about it, those buses are about half way through their life cycles. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Really? Well now that I think about it, those buses are about half way through their life cycles. 

 

From 2011 and up the only ones that have effects are the 4800s, the 52-53 and some C40s (in my experiences of late)..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Jdog14 said:

 

The MTA bus XD60s dont have any sound effects really. The 2018 Novas are far from slow, they ops just dont haul ass (mainly the M34 and M86 ones are slow)

 

As far as usb ports they wont bother. 

Really? Well now that I think about it, those buses are about half way through their life cycles. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.