BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

4 hours ago, mine248 said:

They were also used on the M9, M22, and the M55, so no. I would say that it was for the general MJQ depot bus fleet. 

Aell not just those 3 but basically all quill routes had them at one point as far as I know (I don't know about the m12...)

----

To answer the OP, from what it has looked like, the LFS were primarily meant for the 66/72, but they could run on any local quill route

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing like boarding a new bus out of Gun Hill that still has that "new car smell", especially since after a couple of days the buses will start looking like crap.

On 1/16/2019 at 5:24 PM, Around the Horn said:

Oh so that's why they pushed the award of the contract back? :lol:

Nothing would surprise me lol.

The M100,  In September 2013 was extended to First Avenue and 125th Street to provide additional service on 125th Street. but in 2016,  when construction started to replace the ramps of the RFK bridge the M100 was scaled back to 127st & 2nd ave. Construction ended on the ramps a little over a year now  and the M100 never went back to its new terminal on 1st ave & 125st. Did the MTA forget they extended the service ? 

Edited by Melbx15

34 minutes ago, Melbx15 said:

The M100,  In September 2013 was extended to First Avenue and 125th Street to provide additional service on 125th Street. but in 2016,  when construction started to replace the ramps of the RFK bridge the M100 was scaled back to 127st & 2nd ave. Construction ended on the ramps a little over a year now  and the M100 never went back to its new terminal on 1st ave & 125st. Did the MTA forget they extended the service ? 

No, they expect that people forgot about the extension. The construction only played into the hand of the MTA by trimming the route length (and save money, whatever that adds up to). The time it takes to get between 125th & 127th Streets is slightly less than between 1st & 2nd Avenues. Also, the bus no longer has to turn-around at the terminal (since it turns around in the process of arriving and departing back to Inwood). 

1 hour ago, Melbx15 said:

Does that tiny change make that much of a difference?

9 minutes ago, Axis said:

Spotted #4759 on the Bx28 at Bedford Park at 1:50 PM yesterday. Any idea?

For whatever reason, artics occasionally run on the Bx28 (and FWIW, they appear occasionally on the Bx30 and 38 too IIRC). I'm not sure if they're interlines or trippers, but with all the LFSA that GH has been recieving lately, there are additional artics at their disposal to use to "upgrade" runs on some of their heavier local routes so that could have something to do with it (That said, artics on these tradionally 40 ft routes have been going on since long before the 2019 LFSAs started rolling in). There was a 2012 lfsa on the 28 too either today or yesterday, I forget 

9 hours ago, Melbx15 said:

9 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

No, they expect that people forgot about the extension. The construction only played into the hand of the MTA by trimming the route length (and save money, whatever that adds up to). The time it takes to get between 125th & 127th Streets is slightly less than between 1st & 2nd Avenues. Also, the bus no longer has to turn-around at the terminal (since it turns around in the process of arriving and departing back to Inwood). 

I don't think the MTA, nor that most pax. forgot about that extension...

FWIW, if the MTA really wanted to make an eastward extension useful back in the fall of '13, they'd have ran it to the Wagner houses (1st/125th, via 2nd > 120th > 1st) instead of in the middle of nothing like that....

3 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

There’s been at least one artic everyday on the Bx28 for this week. It departs paul-205 st around 2:15 or so. I wish it would happen on the Bx26 and not the Bx28. Speaking of which, the Bx26 is way faster than the stupid Mosholu thing it does.  

When I would visit family out in co-op, I would always take the Bx26 over the Bx28..... Ran more consistently, moved at a better rate, and less BS you had to put up (as far as the pax. are concerned; it's a quieter ride more often than not).....

Edited by B35 via Church

8 hours ago, Orion6025 said:

Does that tiny change make that much of a difference?

Over a year it would probably add up to something like $100,000. It's a very trivial cost, but in the board materials they make it a point to provide a number no matter how small or trivial.

That's what happens when we have bean counters running a "public benefit" agency...

So I took the Q58 today around 1PM or so. Boarded at Ridgewood and going to get off at Flushing. So far ride is pretty calm but that’s cause my driver doesnt give a damn about the schedule and is literally hauling ass behind the guy that departed at 12:53. We are definitely leeching off our leader and a gap between our bus and the bus behind us is opening further and further. Wyd Grand Ave??? I g my driver is one of those if I leave the terminal on-time then I’ll be on time for the rest of my route. LOL As a passenger, I love this but MTA management would be fuming. After all, who can complain about plenty of seats and a fast driver LOL

As I’m typing this, we just passed out leader and my driver dgaf. 

1 hour ago, danielhg121 said:

So I took the Q58 today around 1PM or so. Boarded at Ridgewood and going to get off at Flushing. So far ride is pretty calm but that’s cause my driver doesnt give a damn about the schedule and is literally hauling ass behind the guy that departed at 12:53. We are definitely leeching off our leader and a gap between our bus and the bus behind us is opening further and further. Wyd Grand Ave??? I g my driver is one of those if I leave the terminal on-time then I’ll be on time for the rest of my route. LOL As a passenger, I love this but MTA management would be fuming. After all, who can complain about plenty of seats and a fast driver LOL

That’s how they are at Grand Avenue. 

Its done on most of their lines including the B47

1 hour ago, danielhg121 said:

20 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

That’s how they are at Grand Avenue. 

Its done on most of their lines including the B47

Nope, that's how the Q58 is in general. Most operators gotta make up time for all of the crushloads they gotta deal with along that line, and then there's the traffic.

54 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

Nope, that's how the Q58 is in general. Most operators gotta make up time for all of the crushloads they gotta deal with along that line, and then there's the traffic.

That what nearly every depot does. Grand Av is not the only one that does this.

24 minutes ago, lara8710 said:

Why do some bus routes suffer from low ridership? This is one reason why routes like the B33, B71 and Q79 have gone the way of the dodo in years past, and that makes me curious about why those routes were even established in the first place.

I can name a few:

B39 (Lowest ridership in the system) - Brings ADA riders from Marcy Ave to Essex Street because there are no elevators at Essex Street.

S55/56 - Tottenville HS students.

S54 - School kids for the most part.

S57 - School kids for the most part. Faced weekend elimination but was kept to provide 7-day service to Seaview Hospital.

Edited by Lil 57

40 minutes ago, lara8710 said:

Why do some bus routes suffer from low ridership? This is one reason why routes like the B33, B71 and Q79 have gone the way of the dodo in years past, and that makes me curious about why those routes were even established in the first place.

Some routes are just outdated. They had a purpose back in the day (specific riderbases) that waned over time.

2 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Some routes are just outdated. They had a purpose back in the day (specific riderbases) that waned over time.

When that comes to mind, I think of the B18 as the poster child for a bus route that lost its purpose over time. When it was first established, its purpose was to connect residents of Ridgewood and Cypress Hills to the light industrial factories of East Williamsburg. As the years went by, ridership on the B18 has dwindled as those factories closed or moved out of the city, which led to the MTA replacing it with a B13 extension to Metropolitan Avenue in 2002, only to be cut back to Wyckoff Hospital in 2010. Nowadays there's almost nothing left of the former B18 route...

1 hour ago, Lil 57 said:

I can name a few:

B39 (Lowest ridership in the system) - Brings ADA riders from Marcy Ave to Essex Street because there are no elevators at Essex Street.

S55/56 - Tottenville HS students.

S54 - School kids for the most part.

S57 - School kids for the most part. Faced weekend elimination but was kept to provide 7-day service to Seaview Hospital.

If I ran the bus system I’d get some 35 foot Xcelsiors for routes like the B39.

I wonder how the operating costs compare between the XD35 and XD40...