Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
EE Broadway Local

BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

I’m trying out some new things on the forums. I started with photo tagging major topic links as seen with these examples below.  

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 8:42 PM, N6 Limited said:

How do you think Passenger Counters are going to affect NYCT Bus and MTA Bus, in general, or in regards to planning or perceptions of ridership?

For perceptions of ridership, it won't matter.... They don't care about any of that when it comes to buses.

As far as planning's concerned, well as far as service levels, I think the counters will have little to no effect.... The onus'll be on cutting local services regardless.... More SBS service system-wide is inevitable.... If anything, they may use it as a means to (further justify) getting rid of individual stops all over the place....

Edited by B35 via Church
  • Upvote 3

Yesterday for the first time in many years, I rode an MTA MCI with an DD60!!!😁It was in pretty good shape for an 02 bus, ran really well with a lot of power, unit out of CP.

We have an diverse MCI fleet right now, MCIs with three different power trains, DD60, CAT C13 and Cummins ISL. 

Edited by trainfan22
  • Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Yesterday for the first time in many years, I rode an MTA MCI with an DD60!!!😁It was in pretty good shape for an 02 bus, ran really well with a lot of power, unit out of CP.

We have an diverse MCI fleet right now, MCIs with three different power trains, DD60, CAT C13 and Cummins ISL. 

Was it 2202 or 2209? I believe CP has both buses. 

20 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Was it 2202 or 2209? I believe CP has both buses. 

Nah, it was an bus numbered in the 2800s.

Edited by trainfan22

Just now, trainfan22 said:

Nah, it was an 28xx bus.

Copy copy. Some of those 28xx buses definitely move. I remember riding some of them when UP had the old x29. Something to that form needs to come back. 

• Thumbs Up 1

So why do some buses have locked wifi? I’m on a n/b XD40 on the Q44 rn and the network name is MTA7390. Lmk the password please lmfao. I’m not entitled to it or anything, is there a universal pw?

5209 broke down on the B44 today, I found out on Twitter of all places lol. I hope it's something minor as I really wanted to ride that bus😞😞

Edited by trainfan22

On 2/20/2019 at 7:35 AM, B35 via Church said:

For perceptions of ridership, it won't matter.... They don't care about any of that when it comes to buses.

As far as planning's concerned, well as far as service levels, I think the counters will have little to no effect.... The onus'll be on cutting local services regardless.... More SBS service system-wide is inevitable.... If anything, they may use it as a means to (further justify) getting rid of individual stops all over the place....

How about actual ridership vs paid ridership? I'm sure the B/O's don't hit F5 every time someone doesn't pay. Will that cause them to crack down on those routes possibly?

11 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

How about actual ridership vs paid ridership? I'm sure the B/O's don't hit F5 every time someone doesn't pay. Will that cause them to crack down on those routes possibly?

What makes you so sure that they don't? Most of them do hit F5 when people don't pay, even large amounts of people.  They are told NOT to confront passengers that don't pay AND to hit the F5 button.

11 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

What makes you so sure that they don't? Most of them do hit F5 when people don't pay, even large amounts of people.  They are told NOT to confront passengers that don't pay AND to hit the F5 button.

2 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I would have it when the B/O presses the F5 button, it takes a picture of the fare beater and the fare beater gets a ticket through the mail.

• LMAO! 2

Just now, Lil 57 said:

I would have it when the B/O presses the F5 button, it takes a picture of the fare beater and the fare beater gets a ticket through the mail.

Taking a picture of the fare beater only shows you who the person is, not what their name is. LOL What they should be doing (and what I suspect may happen) is they'll step up random inspections like they've done in the past.  I didn't bring up fare beating in my meeting yesterday given my VERY long agenda, but I've made it clear that I am not at all happy with the ongoing "free-for-all" if you will (see that play with words and phrases? lol) that exists with the whole fare beating mess.

24 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Taking a picture of the fare beater only shows you who the person is, not what their name is. LOL What they should be doing (and what I suspect may happen) is they'll step up random inspections like they've done in the past.  I didn't bring up fare beating in my meeting yesterday given my VERY long agenda, but I've made it clear that I am not at all happy with the ongoing "free-for-all" if you will (see that play with words and phrases? lol) that exists with the whole fare beating mess.

Realistically it's hard to get proper id with a quick bus pic but not impossible. I do agree that this method is not going to be too effective.

3 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Realistically it's hard to get proper id with a quick bus pic but not impossible. I do agree that this method is not going to be too effective.

Not impossible, but what if the guy is homeless? I mean some of the farebeaters are homeless. Good luck mailing them a ticket... 

• LMAO! 1
  • Upvote 2

Regarding fare beating-its a big problem, especially along routes that connect with schools.

I was once on the M101 LTD, and not one, not two, not three, but SIXTEEN kids snuck in through the back door and I could hear the driver spamming F5...like this is why the fare is so high. Why should us paying customers have to suffer because of people who dont pay?

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Regarding fare beating-its a big problem, especially along routes that connect with schools.

I was once on the M101 LTD, and not one, not two, not three, but SIXTEEN kids snuck in through the back door and I could hear the driver spamming F5...like this is why the fare is so high. Why should us paying customers have to suffer because of people who dont pay?

People, especially the teens always want to justify fare evasion but honestly this adds up to the thousands of dollars in debt the MTA is in now. Something should be done soon.

12 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

People, especially the teens always want to justify fare evasion but honestly this adds up to the thousands of dollars in debt the MTA is in now. Something should be done soon.

If students from a particular school aren't paying the fair, take away their MetroCards. I have a feeling that some students sell their MetroCards and just not pay the fare. I would also cut school trippers if it becomes a problem from that school.

I just came from Montreal and everyone pays their fare over there. Subways and buses are also much cleaner over there.

3 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

This is why students are given student metrocards... but once it's either summer or the weekend they decide it's ok to not pay the fare.

Btw sorry for the double post but a glitch happened.

Edited by Bay Ridge Express

The MTA doesn't get reimbursed when students use a student metrocard, right? In that case, honestly, MTA is losing money whether or not a kid swipes the student card. I guess it helps with accurate ridership stats, but still. 

23 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

The MTA doesn't get reimbursed when students use a student metrocard, right? In that case, honestly, MTA is losing money whether or not a kid swipes the student card. I guess it helps with accurate ridership stats, but still. 

Doesn't the schools pay for the MetroCards? I remember losing my MetroCard in freshman year and the lady who was in charge of the MetroCards said that they are worth $1200.

7 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

7 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

Doesn't the schools pay for the MetroCards? I remember losing my MetroCard in freshman year and the lady who was in charge of the MetroCards said that they are worth $1200.

The (MTA) eats the cost of the Metrocards. I believe they also eat the cost of providing the service too (trippers). 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

@Lil 57 The service costs the (MTA) millions when you take the entire school system and ALL of the kids that need Metrocards for the bus or the subway.

If students aren't using them, take them away from them. The majority of students I see that get on the bus in SI just walk past the bus driver. If there is a way to track usage for each student, that can be used to determine who gets a MetroCard for the next term. Some kids drive/have their parents drive them to school and barely use any from of public transportation. If the MetroCard usage rate goes under a certain threshold for a student, take it away from them. I also propose eliminating half-fare MetroCards. No one really uses them. Who's going to want to carry a bunch of loose change to use the bus to/from school everyday. Those students either use a regular MetroCard or simply don't pay the fare.